Custom Roll bar padding suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 2 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-07-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Custom Roll bar padding suggestions

Anyone have suggestions on a company that does custom Roll bar padding? Iíve noticed taller adults getting close to my Synergy cageís middle bars in the back seat and Iíd like to put some cushion on them.

'14 Anvil JKU Sportis all that's in my garage.
What would I know though...I'm just crawlin' at the mall.

#TheBlacksmithCrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hereís my cage setup.
Attached Images

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Granite Guru

I used some of that foam mat from Harbor freight, I think it's 1/2 inch thick. doubled it up on the sides where you'd probably hit your head. used some heavy duty velcro straps to keep it on, then put a cover over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Have you thought about just using the standard roll bar padding you can get easily and then using Rapz to make it look nice? That's what I did on certain sections of my cage.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-07-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Something like this?

https://www.rollbarpadding.com/product/id-33

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrcruse View Post
I used the much cheaper non SFI approved split full tube padding. Like this (Well, exactly this, but there are other brands...).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...6-01/overview/

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I used the much cheaper non SFI approved split full tube padding. Like this (Well, exactly this, but there are other brands...).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...6-01/overview/
Thanks! Weíve got a major Summit racing store and distribution center that just went in about 15 miles so might be good for me to take a trip and see what theyíve got. Thanks for the link!

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #8 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There's actually a few things you need know about roll bar padding.

The SFI rated padding is extremely stiff and doesn't have much give. It's meant to be used where a "HELMET" can come into contact with the cage during a violent crash. This means if your bare noggin hits it, it's not a whole lot better than the bare tube. IMHO, SFI 45.1 padding is way past what the weekend warrior needs and is the wrong type of padding to use.

If you're not planing on always wearing helmets, go with a high density padding. It's the type of padding you'd put where arms and legs could hit the cage. This type of padding is meant to reduce soft tissue damage and broken bones. It's still stiffer than the cheap $5 shit you can buy that's really just soft water pipe insulation and will do nothing.

Also want to make sure the padding will not burn in a fire.
whipper likes this.

Kevin
post #9 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Rock God

Damn Kevin ... your just rarin' back and spewin' out some wisdom here by gawd.

'Cept ya fell short of actu'ly sayin' what/where to buy. I've always used the stuff from Summit that's in the link a coupla posts up. Is that what we want?

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks! Ask asked in the above post, do you have an example that you could post or is the Summit item a good example? Thanks for the xplaination. No one in the Jeep is wearing a helmet so something thatís high density is probably spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
There's actually a few things you need know about roll bar padding.

The SFI rated padding is extremely stiff and doesn't have much give. It's meant to be used where a "HELMET" can come into contact with the cage during a violent crash. This means if your bare noggin hits it, it's not a whole lot better than the bare tube. IMHO, SFI 45.1 padding is way past what the weekend warrior needs and is the wrong type of padding to use.

If you're not planing on always wearing helmets, go with a high density padding. It's the type of padding you'd put where arms and legs could hit the cage. This type of padding is meant to reduce soft tissue damage and broken bones. It's still stiffer than the cheap $5 shit you can buy that's really just soft water pipe insulation and will do nothing.

Also want to make sure the padding will not burn in a fire.

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #11 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Rock God

Garage
Hot Water insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrcruse View Post
Anyone have suggestions on a company that does custom Roll bar padding? Iíve noticed taller adults getting close to my Synergy cageís middle bars in the back seat and Iíd like to put some cushion on them.
I work for a plumbing company. When the techs install water heaters most of them come with insulation to wrap the hot water pipes. They don't always use it or all of it. I have given the left over stuff to my friends as if is basically usable as roll bar padding. you might talk to some local plumbers.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That Jaz Products stuff from Summit doesn't say what type foam it is. Doesn't say on the Jaz site either. Jaz does make SFI 45.1 padding, so the Summit link is either High or Low density. One would be what you want, the other would be like what's on the factory rollbar. Without calling them to ask, it's a roll of the dice.

Ok, this should make it easy. Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies. They at least describe what is what.

SFI 45.1 Padding
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2395

Description:

Quote:
SFI 45.1 Rated Roll Bar Padding has been proven to lessen impact forces transmitted to the head. It is highly recommended by SCCA and required by many other racing organizations. It is specifically recommended for use in areas where the helmet may contact the tubing.*

The half-round "C" shape covers one side of a tube between 1 5/8" and 2" diameter. The inside surface is lined with a peel-and-stick adhesive. We recommend backing up this adhesive with a few zip ties. Two pieces are shown in photo to illustrate inside and outside of padding. Approximately 1 inch thick in the center and 11/16" thick at the edges. 36 inch sections available in Black, Blue, or Red.

We also offer SFI Rated Roll Bar Padding for 1.125 - 1.5 Inch Diameter Tubing, Part No. 2391.

* Note: SFI-rated foam padding is designed for installation between the helmet and the roll bar. This padding is extremely stiff and rigid. It does not give except in very hard impacts. It is intended to cover only one side of the bar (the side between the bar and your helmet).
High-Density Padding
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2390

Description:

Quote:
This high-density padding should be used any place on a roll bar or roll cage where the occupants may come in contact with the tubing. It is very dense to minimize bottoming out in hard impacts, but it is pliable enough to reduce the risk of broken bones and severe bruising. This padding is much harder than the foam-rubber "comfort" padding typically used on Jeep rollcages, but it is softer than SFI-rated padding.*

The hole is offset (thin side is about 1/2 inch thick, thick side is 1" thick). This allows it to fit where clearance is tight on one side and to position the padding where it will provide the most protection. The padding is perforated on the thin side so you can cut it open and slip it over any permanently installed bar. Hold it in place with gasket cement, tape or Large Cable Ties.

This padding is sized to be a good fit on 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" diameter tubing, but it will fit bars up to 2". A little trimming on the back side will allow it to fit smaller bars. Furnished in 3 foot lengths.
Low-Density Padding
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=5987

Description:

Quote:
This soft, very low-density padding is designed to protect against very minor contact with rollbars. It will not offer much protection in hard impacts. Fits bars measuring 50mm (1 3/4" - 2") diameter. Black only. 2 meter (6 1/2 foot) roll.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. A roll cage can become a very dangerous place if not given the respect for what it is....steel.
terrahawk and chitown35 like this.

Kevin
post #13 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Great info.

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks! The info that you've provided is very much appreciated.

I ordered the high density padding in your post and this from summit (https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...5162/overview/) to see which one fits my application best. The pega item might work best with an offset hole since its so close to the the hardtop.

Quote:

High-Density Padding

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. A roll cage can become a very dangerous place if not given the respect for what it is....steel.

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #15 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
That Jaz Products stuff from Summit doesn't say what type foam it is. Doesn't say on the Jaz site either. Jaz does make SFI 45.1 padding, so the Summit link is either High or Low density. One would be what you want, the other would be like what's on the factory rollbar. Without calling them to ask, it's a roll of the dice.

Ok, this should make it easy. Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies. They at least describe what is what.

SFI 45.1 Padding
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2395

Description:

High-Density Padding

Description:

Low-Density Padding
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=5987

Description:

Ya really thanks this is the type of shit alot of us just dont think about! Love it. i am re padding my roll cage and modifying it a little and the difference between products meant to be impacted with a helmet or Jeep hat is night and day and i never even thought of that until you mentioned it!!! AWESOME safety info for sure!!! But after just reading your jeep build thread AHHH holly CRAP!!!! i think you would know. haha Very unreal ridiculously awesome build BTW!!!!

2014 JK 2 Door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode