10Likes
  • 7 Post By Rubi-8
  • 2 Post By christensent
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fit of Rage meets the CTI at EJS

The boys @MetalCloak are freakin Rad! So fun to talk to and great seeing what this little JK-8 can do. @matsonian is a gentlemen and a scholar. Though his standards must be low if he was excited to meet me! We talked like old friends.

Rubi-8, now properly named 'Fit of Rage' killed it with a score of 1040. Just barely touched the rear fender otherwise everything was right were it should be.
Attached Images

terrahawk, ALASHA, Cod and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon

Last edited by Rubi-8; 04-04-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Nice shot ! I have been on that ramp ! 940 for myself.I have seen a lot of ORI guys not do so well on the ramp I think it is just the way they're set up IDK . I had a decked out LJ In front of me and the best he could get was a 840! on ORIs .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #3 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nice job! Matson asked me a lot of questions about the ORI's and said the same thing; most do not do well. I believe it is all about the tuning. It took me a lot of hours to get here but now I am 90% happy. Next step will be to re-valve them for my ride height of 4.5" up travel. There was a tubed out LJ behind me on 14" coilovers and he only pulled 1000. He got mad and left.

I'm shocked at how well this set up does. I can set the cruise at 85mph on the freeway, then with the flick of a screw driver, pull my sway bar, and have this much flex over the rocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Rock God

There are a few reasons ORI's are not going to do great unless tuned properly, setup on an appropriate suspension design, and have appropriate reservoir on the upper chamber.

On compression, if your ORI is near mid-stroke you need a reservoir to reach full compression on an RTI ramp or rock crawling environment. With no reservoir, you need more than 2x typical ride weight to compress and you never get that level of force in a static scenario. With no reservoir, you'll end up about 1.5-2" short of full compression, at least on a 14" with 7" chrome showing (both my own experience plus the math backs this up exactly). That said having that extra region of super high spring rate is great for landing jumps so it's a compromise in setting up your ORI. IMO, a rock crawler should unquestionably have a piggyback reservoir on an ORI unless going for real low up-travel (which you should avoid with ORI's).

On extension, an ORI's spring rate grows dramatically as you approach full extension and if properly tuned actually requires you to pull down to fully extend! The tire and axle weight should be just enough to reach full extension when hanging from the shock. This is by design and gives the ORI its great stability compared to an air shock which has almost the opposite effect at full extension. But this means two things, if your strut is not tuned correct for rock crawling and has too much lower chamber pressure or if you have too much oil in the bottom either due to improper fill or an internal leak (probably the #1 ORI reliability concern) you'll never extend all the way. Also if you have a super stiff suspension that goes into bind like a radius arm or short arm OEM-style 5-link the bind of the suspension will work against reaching full extension much more noticeably than it would with a coilover/air shock/coil spring.

In conclusion, if you do ORI's all wrong and don't tune them right a 14" ORI could easily only really have 9-10" of usable travel on an RTI ramp. If you set it up correctly, you can get the full shock travel (well, all STX struts are 0.7" short of their real rating so a 14" will never travel more than 13.3", but you'll get that much if you set them up right!).
Rancho Suspension and tapcola like this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2018, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

that is one of the better explanations I’ve read that breaks- down the gas charged strut , ORI, when substituted for coil&shock or coilver on a jeep, @chritensent

It also seems a major cost in moolah AND setup for very specific suspension setups . It would seem from what you’ve said that it’d almost be wise to set then up just for the RTI , then you’d have a very specific setup for crawling , then one for driving ( which I also assume Rubi-8 doesn’t experience any longer , heh.

Yikes, I was b*tchin about greasing centering balls on my two driveshafts the other day ; I sure would not wanna muck with these constantly!

This was an informative thread.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The ORI's are really not that hard to tune; unless I am lucky (rarely the case). It just take some thought process to not only understand the engineering of the shock but also how the suspension works. No, they are not easy to tune at first but much easier than 'tuning' a coil over.

The difference in settings between rock crawling and street driving is a flick of a screw driver; much like an adjustable shock.

At EJS drivers either loved or hated following me on the trails. They loved watching the suspension work and hated it because I took the hardest line just to see what this thing could do lol.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
It would seem from what you’ve said that it’d almost be wise to set then up just for the RTI , then you’d have a very specific setup for crawling , then one for driving ( which I also assume Rubi-8 doesn’t experience any longer , heh.

:
Yes, a lot of people have different pressures for their crawl tune and go-fast tune. Usually you'd want higher bottom chamber pressure to go fast for better roll stability. As long as you have a nitrogen tank you can change that pressure out in 10 minutes.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2018, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
The ORI's are really not that hard to tune; unless I am lucky (rarely the case). It just take some thought process to not only understand the engineering of the shock but also how the suspension works. No, they are not easy to tune at first but much easier than 'tuning' a coil over.

The difference in settings between rock crawling and street driving is a flick of a screw driver; much like an adjustable shock.

At EJS drivers either loved or hated following me on the trails. They loved watching the suspension work and hated it because I took the hardest line just to see what this thing could do lol.
maybe the haters work for spring manufacturing companies & “dont likes yer spensive,high-falutin,fancy,fart-charged,space-strut-thingys...”

Rubi-8 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode