• 2 Post By 08JKUR33
  • 1 Post By AllJumpStyle
  • 1 Post By SilverBulletJKU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Aluminum V. Chromoly Steering

Hey guys, I bent my DOM RuffStuff tie rod out on the rocks a few weeks ago and I'm looking to upgrade.

My two choices are either the Synergy chromoly tie rod or the RPM Fab aluminum tie rod. What would y'all go with and why?
I already have the Synergy Drag Link and it's great, but I've also heard great things about the solid aluminum used in the RPM.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 05:37 PM
Rock God

I went with Fusion 4X4 steering , take a look .
They are a forum supporter also .
ALASHA and tapcola like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
I looked at the Fusion 4x4 but they are just too expensive. It's over $150 more than both of the other choices and I don't think I can justify spending that much more.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

If you are bending the ruff stuff then I doubt anything else is going to hold up. Al least some of the aluminum tie rods will spring back.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Any benefit to an offset TRE vs. regular style? Is that just so there is no bend in the tierod?
post #6 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you are bending the ruff stuff then I doubt anything else is going to hold up. Al least some of the aluminum tie rods will spring back.
Yeah, most of the people I talk to regarding aluminum tie rods really like them because of their ability to flex and not actually permanently bend. I'm just tired of replacing them lol

post #7 of 22 Old 03-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletJKU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
I looked at the Fusion 4x4 but they are just too expensive. It's over $150 more than both of the other choices and I don't think I can justify spending that much more.
Not trying to be a wise ass but does it get expensive to constantly replace new tie rods? If that’s the case what’s an extra $150? I know another ruff stuff tie rod. Maybe the ole “buy once cry once” saying should apply to you in this case
post #8 of 22 Old 03-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Any benefit to an offset TRE vs. regular style? Is that just so there is no bend in the tierod?
Yeah , it moves the tie rod away from the diff cover a little more , and if you really look they are beef .

On mine another consideration was that the way it's configured it would help with the Howe Hydro asst. alignment .

It just seemed to be the right answer to many other issues that I had with the other products that are available , killed more
than one bird with just one stone .

Less pain , more gain .
post #9 of 22 Old 03-26-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Not trying to be a wise ass but does it get expensive to constantly replace new tie rods? If thatís the case whatís an extra $150? I know another ruff stuff tie rod. Maybe the ole ďbuy once cry onceĒ saying should apply to you in this case
Yeah, you are correct. But I'm thinking that the RPM Fab will do the job just as good for 150 less.

post #10 of 22 Old 03-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Wheeler

I’m running the RpmFab set up and I love it. I drive like an idiot and have bashed it into rocks multiple times with no issues.
Attached Images

post #11 of 22 Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 AM
Wheeler

I broke a ruffstuff tre (1ton gm) and said I'd never run tres again and went with RK Tierod. All I know is I've picked my jeep up by that tierod and it's as straight as the day I got it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm just here to learn!
post #12 of 22 Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yeah, you are correct. But I'm thinking that the RPM Fab will do the job just as good for 150 less.
FYI - Fusion4x4 provides a lifetime warranty. If you bend/break the TRE or aluminum rod, Dan will replace it for free. All you need to do is send a pic - at least what is what Dan told me a while back. Fusion4x4 also heat treats the TREs. The extra $150 might actually save you money in the long run.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Give the guy a shout. I have both the 2.5 ton tie rod and drag link from Fusion and didn't pay near what the "site price" was. It was in the $350-ish range each iirc.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

Aluminum is inherently not a strong or tough material. It takes considerably more material to make an aluminum bar as strong as a steel one, but it will never be as tough. This is why we don't make any aluminum products that will see heavy wheeling. Aluminum is light, but it will never hold up as well as steel. There are also some pretty critical differences in regard to fatigue. Choose the best material for the job.

We offer a lifetime warranty on our hard parts as well. Our Tie Rod is made from heat treated chromoly. The heat treating process gives the bar an "elastic" quality which allows it to spring back to shape after being deformed. Go ahead and run into whatever you can. It will come back straight every time. It also has a much smaller footprint than an aluminum bar of similar strength. If you're trying to avoid running your steering into rocks, you don't want the largest diameter bar you can bolt in.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

post #15 of 22 Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Wheeler

I love my Barnes 4wd set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 22 Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Granite Guru

Fusion-4x4 for the win! Mine has some good rock rash and has stayed straight. I just ordered some Rancho knuckles to gain some clearance and will be picking up the matching drag link here soon. AND it just looks bad ass on the Jeep!

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-

Last edited by 08JKUR33; 08-21-2018 at 09:28 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 09-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJumpStyle View Post
We offer a lifetime warranty on our hard parts as well. Our Tie Rod is made from heat treated chromoly. The heat treating process gives the bar an "elastic" quality which allows it to spring back to shape after being deformed. Go ahead and run into whatever you can. It will come back straight every time.
So if I bend it, you will replace it? Including shipping?

2016 JKUR on 35s

History- 90 XJ, 98 TJ, 98 ZJ
post #18 of 22 Old 09-11-2018, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Iíll let @AllJumpStyle Chris answer your question about their policies but I can add to this thread that Synergy Mfg will work w/ itís customers as-weíll or better than any company Iíve dealt with, back the products , back the customer that bought the products & if determined it was a weakness or failure of their end, will havecya send it in & replace if not fixable. The tierod from Synergy Mfg I havecrun for 5 years just this weekend busted a limestone boulder I came down upon and it left residual rock embedded in the powder coat but full weight of a 4 for jk w winch etc falling from 5í didnít bend the chromo....they are very very strong and Iíve slid around on mine ...i wheeled w a TJ on D60s that was runnin a permanently bent aluminum TR this weekend, too. I think many of us have seen the Rock Krawler tierod both survive and fail . I saw a buddy have one of those ends break this year.
Iíve seen the Currie sold tierod ( not the new RP TRE Ďextremeí model,fwiw) snap an end at the threads before.
Iíve not seen a Synergy tierod bend , personally, tho anyhthing is possible.

So, survival of any type of tierod seems to be largely up to the rig, the driver and fate, imho. Fusion4x4 does have a great tierod . I also have looked at Carolina Metal Masters . I have told myself for five years that when the Synergy Mfg tierod gets bent, Iíll go aluminum but so far I canít seem to get to that critical Ď itís bentí point. I am not at all easy on it, either.

Just my .02 ¢.

post #19 of 22 Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

Yes, if you manage to bend your tie rod through normal wheeling, we will replace it, including shipping.

We did this video for our current gen Ram tie rod, but the concept is the same for all of our tie rods.

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

post #20 of 22 Old 09-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

I have told myself for five years that when the Synergy Mfg tierod gets bent, Iíll go aluminum but so far I canít seem to get to that critical Ď itís bentí point. I am not at all easy on it, either.

I wouldn't consider going to an aluminum tie rod being an upgrade for the reasons I mentioned before. Heat treated chromoly will not fatigue like aluminum, so there is really no reason it should stop working if it is being used within its design constraints.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

post #21 of 22 Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJumpStyle View Post
I wouldn't consider going to an aluminum tie rod being an upgrade for the reasons I mentioned before. Heat treated chromoly will not fatigue like aluminum, so there is really no reason it should stop working if it is being used within its design constraints.
point taken & understood.
Honestly, I think it has more to do w/ my running the 3.8l hamster-wheel, Chris ; just hearing the word'aluminum' makes me feel there is a percentage of 1 horsepower that might be attained from weight-saving over steel, even if I know the pieces weigh pretty-much the same in either material, heh.
I understand heat treated chromoly's strength & characteristics VS the aluminums ; that's is why I am still runnin a Synergy Mfg tierod!!

post #22 of 22 Old 09-11-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
point taken & understood.
Honestly, I think it has more to do w/ my running the 3.8l hamster-wheel, Chris ; just hearing the word'aluminum' makes me feel there is a percentage of 1 horsepower that might be attained from weight-saving over steel, even if I know the pieces weigh pretty-much the same in either material, heh.
I understand heat treated chromoly's strength & characteristics VS the aluminums ; that's is why I am still runnin a Synergy Mfg tierod!!

Lol I love my Synergy stuff but I just HAD to try out the aluminum hahah. Running both technically though, Synergy DL and RPM TR
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode