Shocks with a kit or buy shock separate from the lift kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looking to put a lift kit on my jk. I have zero experience in lifting a rig and looking for advice on it. I’m going 2 1/2” lift for a number of reasons. I was thinking about using the metal cloak game charged lift and they offer their shocks or go a different route of shocks. Any thoughts? Daily driver with weekend trail I am placing aluminum fenders on the rig also

Last edited by Copasspupil; 03-21-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasspupil View Post
Looking to put a lift kit on my jk. I have zero experience in lifting a rig and looking for advice on it. I’m going 2 1/2” lift for a number of reasons. I was thinking about using the metal cloak game charged lift and they offer their shocks or go a different route of shocks. Any thoughts? Daily driver with weekend trail I am placing aluminum fenders on the rig also

Get the 2.5 inch lift with normal (not game changer) shocks for that build. You likely won’t experience the benefit of those long travel shock (really it’s long droop, not compression in this instance) for relatively light wheeling.

Just my 2 cents
post #3 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

UFDUB The "six pack" shocks you are talking about are all about up travel not droop and require running high line fenders for extra up clearance. Tire size may also dictate how much useable shocks you have. Game changer is a term they use for many lifts with different shocks.

Shocks is up to personal preference, I find since jeeps are different from owner to owner with different weights that it is better to get the lift and then find shocks after cycling the suspension to maximize travel. The drawback is limiting you travel while you wait for new shocks. You can also run shock extenders while you wait for your new longer shocks.
libordemise likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 PM
Rock God

If the 6 packs are mounted at a correct height For the application, i don't see how they're any more-so about droop or compression. There's only shaft showing at droop and none showing at compression. Whatever amount in between them that the shaft is showing so that the tires don't eat the fenders is purely up to where they're mounted.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
UFDUB The "six pack" shocks you are talking about are all about up travel not droop and require running high line fenders for extra up clearance. Tire size may also dictate how much useable shocks you have. Game changer is a term they use for many lifts with different shocks.

Shocks is up to personal preference, I find since jeeps are different from owner to owner with different weights that it is better to get the lift and then find shocks after cycling the suspension to maximize travel. The drawback is limiting you travel while you wait for new shocks. You can also run shock extenders while you wait for your new longer shocks.

In a 2.5 inch lift, you’re limited in up travel typically by tire size to fender clearance, which usually means more bump stop. In essence, you don’t get much “extra” up travel from the 6 pack. Therefore, the extra overall travel tends to be more in the extension at that lift height. As lift height increases, things change.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

The 6 pack shocks are designed for up travel because they have a very short compressed length when compared to a conventional shock. If you look at their 13" travel shock it has a extended length of 25.25" and a compressed length of 12.25 if you compare that to their rock sport shocks which are 12.4" of travel 17.3" compressed and 29.7" extended. If you mounted these two shocks in the same brackets the rock sports would have almost 4.5" more down travel over the 6 pack. Metal cloak gives you a upper drop bracket that drops the mount down approximately 2" to give the actual bottom of the suspension roughly the same as the rock sport shocks (like chuck noted its about mounting location) however because of the short compressed length of the 6 pack it will allow your suspension to stuff farther into the fender without bottoming out the shock therefore gaining up travel. This is why the 6 pack shocks are a waste to run if you are not doing highline flat fenders are are running a log with big tires as the tires will become the limiting factor, not the compressed sock length.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 19 Old 03-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

You guys sure like to make things sound complicated.

To boil this down for the OP:

Just looking at the front to keep things simple.
6pak shocks - 15" of travel, require 1"of bumpstop in their mounts
OME or Rocksport shocks - 11"of travel, require 2" of bumps in their mounts.

What percent off that is up travel vs down is based on spring/lift height. Higher springs or lighter jeep = more up travel.

Of course you may also have to bumpstop more (subtract uptravel) for things like tire height, fender clearance, etc.

•|||||||• 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks

Last edited by chitown35; 03-25-2018 at 02:26 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Up travel is typically dependent on tire clearance to the fenders, compressed shock length, or drag link hitting the frame. Coil length really has nothing to do with limiting up travel unless the coils become packed.

Some build info here:

post #9 of 19 Old 03-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
You guys sure like to make things sound complicated.

To boil this down for the OP:

Just looking at the front to keep things simple.
6pak shocks - 15" of travel, require 1"of bumpstop in their mounts
OME or Rocksport shocks - 11"of travel, require 2" of bumps in their mounts.

What percent off that is up travel vs down is based on spring/lift height. Higher springs or lighter jeep = more up travel.

Of course you may also have to bumpstop more (subtract uptravel) for things like tire height, fender clearance, etc.

That was well said, and what I was trying to say. If you run a relatively low lift height and big tires, your uptravel is limited by things other than your shock most of the time.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are running big tires and low lift the 6 pack shocks make no sense.

I guess people just don't understand how the 6 pack shocks work or maybe they don't know how to set up shocks and bump stops, I know I see a lot of that out there on the road.If you take the same jeep and install the rock sport 11" travel shock on one side then install the 13" travel 6-pack with its bracket on the other side. At full droop the axle would be level at the same plane. The 6-pack side would give your jeep any more actual droop over the 11" travel rock sport due to the longer body so where is that extra 2" of suspension travel? Its on the upside, allowing the axle to stuff further up because of the shorter compressed length. We are talking travel here and tire size and lift is irrelevant to the discussion.

Some build info here:

post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I guess people just don't understand how the 6 pack shocks work or maybe they don't know how to set up shocks and bump stops, I know I see a lot of that out there on the road.If you take the same jeep and install the rocksport 11" travel shock on one side then install the 13" travel 6-pack with its bracket on the other side. At full droop the axle would be level at the same plane. The 6-pack side would give your jeep any more actual droop over the 11" travel rock sport due to the longer body so where is that extra 2" of suspension travel? Its on the upside, allowing the axle to stuff further up because of the shorter compressed length. We are talking travel here and tire size and lift is irrelevant to the discussion.
Are you talking front or rear? The front 6paks have 15" of travel, the rear 13".
Front Rocksport has 11.4", rear 11". So where is the extra travel allocated according to the mounts...

Both 6pak shocks require 1" bumpstop compared to the Rocksport 2". So, yes 1" is more uptravel.

But the other extra 2.5" and 1" of travel compared to Rocksport is downtravel.

Extended length on the 15" travel 6paks is 28.25 vs the front Rocksport 27.3, but that doesn't take into account the mounting position of the 6paks, which in the front moves the upper mount lower by about 1.5". So now, fully extended, they're sitting as low droopped as a 29.75" regular positioned shock. And there's that extra 2.5" downtravel compared to the Rocksports.

The rear are similar in that they gain an inch of uptravel due to the only 1" bumpstop requirement. I believe the downtravel is about the same as the Rocksport (no numbers on website and not driving either jeep today to check). But what you gain is an important (in my experience) few inches of clearance if you cut off / trim up that rear shock mount, since the 6pak moves the rear lower mount up a few inches.

Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #12 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

I am talking shock to shock forget about kits or bump stops. I am using the 13" travel 6 pack and the 11" rock sports because they basically have the same extended length. If you want to compare 15" travel then you would be looking at the about the same amount of droop as a conventional 10" travel shock, the 10" travel king 2.0 actually has about 1" more droop vs the 15" travel 6 pack.

BTW there is no reason you can't interchange the 13" and the 15" travel shocks they are built the same mounting wise and could be used either front or rear.

Maybe this will help the understanding: I you install a (25001-284A) 12" travel king shock on the front of a JK using the factory mounts you they will fully extend 31.043" IF you install the metal cloak 15" travel 6 pack shock the shock will extend 28.25 (shock extended length) + 2" drop bracket you get a full droop of 30.25"

In this example the metal cloak has over 2.5" more total travel but the suspension has about 3/4" less droop vs the 12"+- travel King shock. The additional gained by the 6 pack shock is by up travel.

Back to the OP running 2.5" with flat fenders would be exactly whey the 6 pack shocks are designed for (depending on tires size that was not listed)
The benefit is of course more suspension travel while limiting the droop because it reduces axle shift, increases stability, and better driveline angles. Weather the OP needs to spend $1500 on a set of shocks is up to him and I doubt from what he describes he wants to do with the jeep that it would be worth it.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
If you are running big tires and low lift the 6 pack shocks make no sense.

I guess people just don't understand how the 6 pack shocks work or maybe they don't know how to set up shocks and bump stops, I know I see a lot of that out there on the road.If you take the same jeep and install the rock sport 11" travel shock on one side then install the 13" travel 6-pack with its bracket on the other side. At full droop the axle would be level at the same plane. The 6-pack side would give your jeep any more actual droop over the 11" travel rock sport due to the longer body so where is that extra 2" of suspension travel? Its on the upside, allowing the axle to stuff further up because of the shorter compressed length. We are talking travel here and tire size and lift is irrelevant to the discussion.
While still complicated... this is easier to understand hahaha!
post #14 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Granite Guru

I learned a little bit recently that i wasnt aware of,
1- at a certain lift height and certain year of jeep; we will need exhaust spacers so we dont burn out the cv boot on the exhaust, also for travel
2- also at certain height, (dunno where it is) need a rear trackbar relocator bracket,

Im going to do spacers and shock relocators soonish and these 2 things have been in back of mind
post #15 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I am talking shock to shock forget about kits or bump stops. I am using the 13" travel 6 pack and the 11" rock sports because they basically have the same extended length. If you want to compare 15" travel then you would be looking at the about the same amount of droop as a conventional 10" travel shock, the 10" travel king 2.0 actually has about 1" more droop vs the 15" travel 6 pack.

BTW there is no reason you can't interchange the 13" and the 15" travel shocks they are built the same mounting wise and could be used either front or rear.

Maybe this will help the understanding: I you install a (25001-284A) 12" travel king shock on the front of a JK using the factory mounts you they will fully extend 31.043" IF you install the metal cloak 15" travel 6 pack shock the shock will extend 28.25 (shock extended length) + 2" drop bracket you get a full droop of 30.25"

In this example the metal cloak has over 2.5" more total travel but the suspension has about 3/4" less droop vs the 12"+- travel King shock. The additional gained by the 6 pack shock is by up travel.

Back to the OP running 2.5" with flat fenders would be exactly whey the 6 pack shocks are designed for (depending on tires size that was not listed)
The benefit is of course more suspension travel while limiting the droop because it reduces axle shift, increases stability, and better driveline angles. Weather the OP needs to spend $1500 on a set of shocks is up to him and I doubt from what he describes he wants to do with the jeep that it would be worth it.
I get what you're trying to say now. So basically yeah if you compare the 6paks to long shocks, they can have more uptravel when used in the same application. But by the same token if you compared them to shorter shocks they could have more downtravel in the same application.

It all comes down to sizing everything appropriately, including tires, fenders, how much uptravel you want, etc...which can be a more limited window for the 6paks to be useful in, and on that I think we agree.

Last edited by chitown35; 03-28-2018 at 03:42 PM.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Thumbs up

Some build info here:

post #17 of 19 Old 05-02-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey I can definitely tell the difference in driving it compared to stock. The bumps are softer and so is the ride. I’m glad I did not go taller my wife would not have enjoyed climbing in with her hip.
Attached Images

post #18 of 19 Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

Anybody running procomps es9000 shocks? How are they? Looking at them but i really like bilsteins 5100
post #19 of 19 Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

You might as well just go buy some Monroe shocks if you are looking at pro comp. Bilstien 5100 is pretty but I would not recommend them.
libordemise likes this.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode