V8 swap in California? - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 Old 10-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

5he struggle with the truck motor swap is it is about a couple inches longer than the car motors. the space is already tight.if you want 400+hp instead of 360hp without going big block. There are some things that you have to do to make it work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Rock God

Steve, thansk and appreciate the info. I am just confused on why a business selling a kit has not yet dialed the product and service in yet. I really would like to be able to recommend Todd's business. He is a cool guy and does some good work. But I can not expect to pay a godo chunk of cash for a swap that will still have issues. Sure if I was talking about a DIY approach or building stuff myself I woudl expect that.

I am hoping the DIY "Kit" from JSS addresses that now. I would love to hear from anyone that has bought the kit and has done the conversion themselves on how things went (including getting it through smog). That woudl be a good selling point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 57 Old 10-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Steve, thansk and appreciate the info. I am just confused on why a business selling a kit has not yet dialed the product and service in yet. I really would like to be able to recommend Todd's business. He is a cool guy and does some good work. But I can not expect to pay a godo chunk of cash for a swap that will still have issues. Sure if I was talking about a DIY approach or building stuff myself I woudl expect that.

I am hoping the DIY "Kit" from JSS addresses that now. I would love to hear from anyone that has bought the kit and has done the conversion themselves on how things went (including getting it through smog). That woudl be a good selling point.
As of a week or 2 ago, Cruise control on 2011 still did not work. I was told they are arriving anyday now. I have been told, the guy that makes them was having some issues, and they are on the way for about 14-16mo now. I am hopeful, but not holding my breath. I hope that the cruise switch just shows up kinda like the fan shroud... Truth be told, the Jeep is for sale, my kids are getting into college and they need my help more than I need toys... if your looking for a badass JKU, I have one that was made in 2011, but is mostly brand new for 45k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post

I bought the JSS kit for a manual transmission. It took them eight months to send me everything; five months for the first shipment. I also ordered the Northern radiator through JSS but sent it back because it looked poorly made, and others on this and other forums have complained about it leaking after a fairly short time. As of today, it's been about six months and I am still waiting for the $800 refund for the radiator.

I haven't tried starting the Jeep yet (still need to finish up a couple things) but I did find that the auto gear indicators on my dash are all lit up. Todd said the PCM will probably need to be returned to him for some reprogramming; not looking forward to that. The PCMs can be modified using HP Tuners or there's another small business out there competing that looks good. I may try that route first, rather than potentially waiting another several months on JSS.

FWIW, I spoke to Hotwire Auto a few months back (they make the JSS kits' harnesses). They said they could do a replacement PCM for the JK manual trans, 392 but not cheap. Also, there are other places you could go for the engine and trans. brackets. After those major items, there really aren't any other things that most folks can't do at home.

Bottom line - even with a kit there are a plethora of details that must be addressed. After working through most of them, I feel like the stuff covered by someone's "kit" could also be accomplished by most folks on their own.
post #55 of 57 Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I bought the JSS kit for a manual transmission. It took them eight months to send me everything; five months for the first shipment. I also ordered the Northern radiator through JSS but sent it back because it looked poorly made, and others on this and other forums have complained about it leaking after a fairly short time. As of today, it's been about six months and I am still waiting for the $800 refund for the radiator.

I haven't tried starting the Jeep yet (still need to finish up a couple things) but I did find that the auto gear indicators on my dash are all lit up. Todd said the PCM will probably need to be returned to him for some reprogramming; not looking forward to that. The PCMs can be modified using HP Tuners or there's another small business out there competing that looks good. I may try that route first, rather than potentially waiting another several months on JSS.

FWIW, I spoke to Hotwire Auto a few months back (they make the JSS kits' harnesses). They said they could do a replacement PCM for the JK manual trans, 392 but not cheap. Also, there are other places you could go for the engine and trans. brackets. After those major items, there really aren't any other things that most folks can't do at home.

Bottom line - even with a kit there are a plethora of details that must be addressed. After working through most of them, I feel like the stuff covered by someone's "kit" could also be accomplished by most folks on their own.
I know I would be interested in some better motor mounts that use factory Hemi motor mounts. Sadly, I dont have the skill to make them or figure them out. I would also like to hear of potential companies that will fix the cruise issues. I really am tired of waiting on something that is never going to happen and being lied to about it.

post #56 of 57 Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post

The PRDL gear lights might just be a code in the Jk comp. Had it with the motech swap. Used my programmer to reset the jeep through jeep ob2. It shows no code, but reset codes anyway to clear the shifter display. May be same for you.
rockystock likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #57 of 57 Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
The PRDL gear lights might just be a code in the Jk comp. Had it with the motech swap. Used my programmer to reset the jeep through jeep ob2. It shows no code, but reset codes anyway to clear the shifter display. May be same for you.
You need a PCM for a manual trans to get rid of the PRNDL display on the cluster. If the cluster see's an Auto trans PCM it will turn on the display
stevenjoh1972 likes this.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode