Finally, Hemi with Snorkle installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Finally, Hemi with Snorkel installed

Well almost. I have the snorkel coming next week but I got the AEV Hemi
snorkel kit installed. Like their Hemi swap kit the snorkel kit is awesome.
Everything fits and looks like it came that way from the factory.
For the 5.7 the snorkel box kit comes with the brackets for the stock bottom
part of the air box. You need to reuse the rubber grommets from the stock
battery / airbox tray that the post on the bottom of the airbox go into,
so don’t pitch those if your doing a hemi swap.
The kit also comes with a permanent K&N air filter that fits into the stock airbox.
The last and most important part, The new airbox lid designed for the AEV hemi kit.
With the 5.7 Hemi you also have to purchase a ERG block off kit that is pretty much
self explanatory.
One of the nice things about this snorkel kit is it makes access to the Alternator and
the lower radiator hose very easy. Pop the box out and everything is wide open now.
Doug

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 09-24-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Wheeler

So wheres the rest of the kit?
post #3 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

I Love AEV's build quality.. it all looks factory.

Is the AEV Hemi snorkel the same as the standard one? and just uses a different top to the air box?

no jeep here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaJeeper View Post
First line of OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Well almost. I have the snorkel coming next week but I got the AEV Hemi
snorkle kit installed.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Wheeler

my bad. Looks good so far.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Looks great Doug!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Finished the install right before I had to leave for work so have not really been able to beat on it too much but so far the only difference seems to be a little less noise from up front. I'm happy with it.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #8 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Rock God

Why does the alternator pully look like it sits back a little further than the rest causing that belt to run a lil cock eyed??

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #9 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
Why does the alternator pully look like it sits back a little further than the rest causing that belt to run a lil cock eyed??
Must be a optical illusion because its running true

DIY Hemi build
post #10 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

What if you just left it like that?

Doug,

I know that you are finishing this off with the snorkel, but I am interested in the setup as you have it now to essentially create a cold air intake. Do you have the AEV hood? If you were to close the hood, would the intake chute on that new box snug up to the little grill on the AEV hood?

I am trying to get my air intake temps down, and don't feel the current setup creates much isolation between the engine compartment and the intake air box....I am trying to figure out a way to suck air from the outside, and your setup as it sits now looks like it might be the ticket????

07 Rubi unlimited, 5.7 Hemi, 37's on 4.5" AEV lift, 5.13's, hydro-assist steering, and on and on and on...."it would be cheaper to be addicted to crack"
post #11 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

thats in interesting concept... any of the guys with the heat reduction hood could shed some light on that since the lower end of the airbox in the original peice. just on what i saw, it looks like it would help some. i wonder though, if there is an air pressure or "scavenging" (vacuum) from that area at road speed... if you follow my meaning...

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #12 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Must be a optical illusion because its running true
Good deal, probably just the angle of the camera. Nice rig.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #13 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
Is the AEV Hemi snorkel the same as the standard one? and just uses a different top to the air box?
Yes everything else is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ80fornow View Post
Doug,

I know that you are finishing this off with the snorkel, but I am interested in the setup as you have it now to essentially create a cold air intake. Do you have the AEV hood? If you were to close the hood, would the intake chute on that new box snug up to the little grill on the AEV hood?

I am trying to get my air intake temps down, and don't feel the current setup creates much isolation between the engine compartment and the intake air box....I am trying to figure out a way to suck air from the outside, and your setup as it sits now looks like it might be the ticket????
I think even if I was not going to add the snorkel I would still want to run the stock box like it is now. I think it provides a little more water protection than the open K&N cone filter that I was running and does not seem to hurt performance at all.

The intake does not snug up to the grill on the hood but I'm sure the AEV hood allows more cooling under the hood. My wife always complained about how hot it was around her feet when we were driving then one day not long after I put the AEV hood on she said "hey you fixed what ever was putting out all that heat down by my feet". When I told her it was due to the new hood she said "well its worth it then". My insurance co. picked up most of the tab on the hood after I smoked a deer on the way to work one morning

DIY Hemi build

Last edited by dsy; 09-25-2010 at 08:06 PM.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-25-2010, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

finally.

good thing i already have the snorkel now just the hemi...hah

AEV stuff rocks
post #15 of 22 Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaJeeper View Post

The finished AEV Hemi Snorkel

post #16 of 22 Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
JPK
Rock God

Looks great. I like the filter top rather than the "Ram Air" top.

I'm about to do the same to my Jeep. Did the kit from AEV come with everything you need, or did you have to buy anything seperately? Since AEV did the Hemi swap for me, they will replace that now missing stock lower airbox (for $40!)

BTW, while I may eventually use the fording capability, the real reason I'm doing the snorkle is to lower intake air temp when its baking outside and the sand is well beyond tolerable to sare feet.

JPK
post #17 of 22 Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
The finished AEV Hemi Snorkel

Wow, was that expensive? I think I could use a light like that in my engine bay
post #18 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Looks great. I like the filter top rather than the "Ram Air" top.

I'm about to do the same to my Jeep. Did the kit from AEV come with everything you need, or did you have to buy anything seperately? Since AEV did the Hemi swap for me, they will replace that now missing stock lower airbox (for $40!)

BTW, while I may eventually use the fording capability, the real reason I'm doing the snorkle is to lower intake air temp when its baking outside and the sand is well beyond tolerable to sare feet.

JPK
I pretty much did it for the same reason. Not planning on playing submariner, but I will feel better in those "oh shit, that's deeper than I thought" moments.
I've got too much time and money invested to take the chance on hydro locking, or telling my wife its time to start walking out of the boonies.
Also the pre-filter does work great. I'm surprised how much crap has been caught in the bowl rather than the air filter so far.
I still had my lower box so I did not need to buy anything else that was needed but not in the kit. I really like the AEV kit. Its a very clean looking easy install. No cutting into the body or having to relocate anything. I would talk to them again about the extra $40. That does not seem right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Wow, was that expensive?
You get what you pay for. AEV stuff is not cheap, quality usually is not.

Last edited by dsy; 11-01-2010 at 08:57 AM.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
thats in interesting concept... any of the guys with the heat reduction hood could shed some light on that since the lower end of the airbox in the original peice. just on what i saw, it looks like it would help some. i wonder though, if there is an air pressure or "scavenging" (vacuum) from that area at road speed... if you follow my meaning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ80fornow View Post
Doug,

That is exactly what I have been doing for almost 2 years. While I was in Germany on a business trip I saw the diesel version....picture below. I bought about 10 of the foam pieces in that picture and brought them back to the states. It mounted up perfectly to my stock airbox and now the foam causes the engine to draw the air from the cut-out in the AEV hood. ........... no issues after 2 years of use.

Found the part number.... part number is 153034131AB

Last edited by brent_f70; 11-03-2010 at 12:06 AM.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Rock God

Looks great Doug! Now, let's go Jeeping...

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

post #21 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM

That is sweet. Add that to the list of mods when I get my JK.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 AM

What is the intake tube from? I need that part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode