Need some help with axle shafts and arb - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
TRM

Need some help with axle shafts and arb

Iím trying to figure out what I broke this weekend. I heard some loud clicking noises at the end of the last trail we did. As I was limping it back to the parking lot we went through some water and the clicking stopped. At the time I thought the stock joint on my front driveshaft was the problem since the boot finally gave up. At the parking lot looking it over, the boot had ripped off completely. I figured the boot had flew off at some point limping it back, and it was hitting something as the shaft spun.

In going over the front end today, i lifted the front end up and spun the tires. So I have a d30 with 4.88s and an arb locker. With the locker engaged, both wheels spin together as well as the driveshaft. With the locked disengaged the tires spin opposite but not at the same rate. When I spun the driver side, the passenger side spun opposite as it should with the arb disengaged, but at a slower rate. A couple times the driver side could spin half a revolution before the passenger tire moved. Did I break an axle shaft?

I did not have time tonight to put it on the lift and pull the axle apart, but I will in the next few days. Iím planning on removing the diff cover and pulling the shafts to check the shafts as well as the locker and ring gear / pinion. I just want some opinions as to what broke so I have a some idea what Iím going to be getting into.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Granite Guru

look close at the axle shaft ujoints
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Rock God

It is common for the stock drive shaft to develop a click when in 4WD.

Also, with the uneven spin rates on opposite sides, sounds like the drive shaft is spinning at some speed when you do that. I bet if you hold the drive shaft stationary, then both sides will spin at equal rates. They only have to spin opposite-direction equal-rate if the drive shaft is not spinning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Rock God

Here's what mine looked like at the transfer case when it was clicking. I don't know if this play specifically corresponds to the click, but worth checking if yours is like this:

post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
TRM

Thanks for the help. Spent my morning pulling the axle apart. Shafts are perfectly intact. U-joints are good. Itís definitely the drive shaft. Iíve got a lot of movement at the joint almost exactly the video above. I ran into some trouble getting the driveshaft off at the tcase, and then ran out of time to work on it. Gonna be ordering Adams driveshafts in the next week or so. With the noises I heard I wanted to be sure the ring gear and locker werenít damaged. The drive shaft was spinning when they were spinning different rates, which makes sense since the unlocked arb is an open diff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2018, 05:04 AM
Rock God

Are you sure the tires werent spinning the same rate because some of that rotation was going to the driveshaft?

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode