Superchip Gear program? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Question Superchip Gear program?

Question, I have the Superchip Flashpaq for my JK....I dialed it in, programed in the performance tune, corrected the tire size for the speedo and did a few other tweaks in the program. At the time I still had the factory gears (3.73) so I didn't need to adjust that so I installed the program and everything was fine. Fast forward a couple months I installed new gears (4.88) so I went back into the Superchip program and changed the gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.88.

Okay.........that being done I can't tell any difference what-so-ever.....what does changing/correcting the gear ratio suposed to do? From what I can tell the tire size program is what corrected the speedo in the Jeep when I went from stock tires to 35's. Does correcting the gear ratio change shift paterns, or does it just help the on board Jeep computer figure out fuel mileage?

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Well I am no expert but in my opinion, the only difference you should be able to tell would be the seat of the pants feel from the gear change and a corrected computer. ( Shift points, and speedo, milage, ect,,,,). Sounds like your on the right track. Maybe go chase a vehicle you know is going the right speed and check out the speedometer?? That's where I think you would tell the most difference, that and the mileage being about right
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

From Zack
"Well I am no expert but in my opinion, the only difference you should be able to tell would be the seat of the pants feel from the gear change and a corrected computer. ( Shift points, and speedo, milage, ect,,,,). Sounds like your on the right track. Maybe go chase a vehicle you know is going the right speed and check out the speedometer?? That's where I think you would tell the most difference, that and the mileage being about right "

Zack I used the program when I went with the 35" tires and before I changed gears, using the tire size portion set the speedo right with the existing 3.73 gears. After I installed the 4.88's and before I used the superchip gear program to reset to the new gearing the speedo was still correct, verified by my gps. So I am trying to figure out what else the program changes......you could be right about the shift points.

I think a visit to the superchip website FAQ's is in order

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

I wouldnt bother visiting superchips, their customer service is lacking...

I did the same thing, And also didnt notice any difference.. Im guessing it changes shift point but who knows... My speedo was correct both before and after I changed my gear ratios (In my case from 3.73 to 5.13)

no jeep here...
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 AM
TrailDuty.com

If I recall the speedo runs off the ABS sensor, so changing tire size corrects the speedo and I'm betting the the shift points too, as they are rpm/speed related. So changing the gear ratio may not have much impact.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Superchip Rep Explanation

Just called Superchips.............the rep told me that both the tire size portion and the gear ratio portion of the program changes/affects the speedo, odometer and transmission shift points. His explanation for why I didn't notice any difference when I changed the gearing portion was that originally when I changed my tire size it corrected the speedo which in turn corrects the odometer and transmission shift points. Further when you correct the speedo by using the tire size portion of the program....if and when you try and use the gear ratio program there is nothing for that program to correct because the tire size program already had corrected it. A scenario in using the gear ratio program to affect the speedo/shift points would be when you have stock tires but changed the gearing....then the gear ratio program would correct the speedo and shift points.

Hope this makes sense, I think I need a

JJ
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

Makes no sense, that was a standard answer because different cars use different sensors for speed. They can't know them all.

The JK uses the ABS sensors for the speedo. Changing the gears has no effect on the speedo, they aren't part of the equation.

Changing tires does effect the speedo since the ABS sensor is really a tire rotation sensor. Changing tire size changes the distance traveled per revolution.

That said the internal working of the ECM program is quite complex, and there are any number of things that can be effected by a gear ratio change.

I haven't seen inside the JK program, but as a reference I have seen inside the new Ford diesel. The code is 14000 (yes thousand) page long with over 60000 variables.

We went to the moon with less technology than what it takes to start your Jeep.....
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Don't shoot the messager.................Just relaying what I was told........

JJ
post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
Just called Superchips.............the rep told me that both the tire size portion and the gear ratio portion of the program changes/affects the speedo, odometer and transmission shift points. His explanation for why I didn't notice any difference when I changed the gearing portion was that originally when I changed my tire size it corrected the speedo which in turn corrects the odometer and transmission shift points. Further when you correct the speedo by using the tire size portion of the program....if and when you try and use the gear ratio program there is nothing for that program to correct because the tire size program already had corrected it. A scenario in using the gear ratio program to affect the speedo/shift points would be when you have stock tires but changed the gearing....then the gear ratio program would correct the speedo and shift points.

Hope this makes sense, I think I need a

JJ
This makes no sense to me! I can understand that the speed and odometer is only changed by the tire size. It seems like the gear change settings would would affect the shift points?? But what do I know

I changed the gearing settings before I had the gears changed - thinking I could see the effect of gearing ratio and rpm at certain speeds. That logic did not work as the speed was still spot on based on my tire size changes as others have stated!

I definitely need a beer!

I'm glad you called - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode