Programmer for 3.5" Lift and 35's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Programmer for 3.5" Lift and 35's?

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a RK 3.5" lift and some 35x 12.50 Mud Grapplers. Do I need a programmer? If so, which one?

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerubicon08 View Post
So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a RK 3.5" lift and some 35x 12.50 Mud Grapplers. Do I need a programmer? If so, which one?
No. You don't NEED a programmer. You may WANT one, but you don't NEED one. I've been running 35s for a few thousand miles and although the speedometer is off a little, it doesn't bother me. Plenty of power and I shift when I want to. I have a 6-speed Rubicon though.

If you have an unlimited with automatic transmission with anything less than 4.88 gears, you'll want a programmer like the Superchips Flashpaq to give you some more perceived power by changing the timing of the shifting points and a few other cool features.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #3 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Superchips Flashpaq .

2'nd That!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

which RK kit are you going for?
post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Granite Guru

I used the Superchips to recalibrate the speedo with tire size. I have about the same amount of lift, and 35" tires. Its useful because you can check engine codes with it as well.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Diablo Predator

You can adjust for tire size, load the performance tune and a hole bunch of other stuff.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Wheeler

Taxman....What about your ABS? Isn't that impacted?.....I'm thinking of doing the same and I don't care about the speedo difference since I have a 6 spd also but the ABS is my concern.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjk2010 View Post
Taxman....What about your ABS? Isn't that impacted?.....I'm thinking of doing the same and I don't care about the speedo difference since I have a 6 spd also but the ABS is my concern.
Why and how would ABS be affected? I haven't read of any problems with ABS due to larger tires or lifts. I've read about ESP issues when your axles aren't aligned/centered properly due to using the stock track bars with no relocation brackets, but never heard of ABS issues.

ESP uses ABS to control traction. Maybe that's what you're referring to?

Last edited by taxman; 09-23-2010 at 11:08 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Why and how would ABS be affected? I haven't read of any problems with ABS due to larger tires or lifts. I've read about ESP issues when your axles aren't aligned/centered properly due to using the stock track bars with no relocation brackets, but never heard of ABS issues.

ESP uses ABS to control traction. Maybe that's what you're referring to?
when i went to 33's from the stock 32" (waste of time and money) My JK had an active code when scanned with the starscan about the ABS, no light and it worked fine... so somehow someway it does make a difference....

If you have an Auto, get a programmer. AEV's Pro-cal is a good unit for the price, if you want to spend some extra coin go with the superchips, it does add a few HP. In NY I believe it is illegal to have an incorrect speedo, so here anyways you would technically NEED one to be legal.

no jeep here...
post #10 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
when i went to 33's from the stock 32" (waste of time and money) My JK had an active code when scanned with the starscan about the ABS, no light and it worked fine... so somehow someway it does make a difference....
If all 4 tires are the same size, there should be no way that the ABS would trigger an error. The only thing I can think of is that if the ABS system monitors the speed of each wheel independent of the others, the ABS system may react differently to a wheel that is travelling at 60mph vs one travelling at 65mph - different pulse rates, pressure, etc. If the speedometer is not properly calibrated, the ABS sensor may think you're going 60mph when you are actually going 65mph. The incorrect adjustments may be applied and the wheel may not respond as it's supposed to and then an error is generated.

I've never received an error and my lights have never turned on. I would move on. The NY illegal thing has merit though, especially if they test speedometer accuracy as part of routine annual inspections. They don't in NC.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Wheeler

What I'm refering to regarding ABS impact is that (with cars anyway) there usually is a tolerance set around 3 to 4% change in overall tire size before the ABS monitoring is impacted. The actual tolerance varies by manufacturer. If you check out some tire retailers, they will specify this as being a restriction as to what wheels/tires combo you can use.

With cars when you go to larger wheels but with lower profile tires, you need to keep the overall size the same to not impact the ABS, but with Jeeps since the object is to get a bigger overall size, I'm not sure what happens then. When I put larger tires on my last Jeep TJ, I didn't have ABS so it wasn't a concern to me. Now with my JK, I have ABS.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjk2010 View Post
What I'm refering to regarding ABS impact is that (with cars anyway) there usually is a tolerance set around 3 to 4% change in overall tire size before the ABS monitoring is impacted. The actual tolerance varies by manufacturer. If you check out some tire retailers, they will specify this as being a restriction as to what wheels/tires combo you can use.

With cars when you go to larger wheels but with lower profile tires, you need to keep the overall size the same to not impact the ABS, but with Jeeps since the object is to get a bigger overall size, I'm not sure what happens then. When I put larger tires on my last Jeep TJ, I didn't have ABS so it wasn't a concern to me. Now with my JK, I have ABS.
I understand what you are referring to. But how does your Jeep know what size tire (overall diameter) you are running? It only knows to calculate speed and adjust accordingly. ABS knows that a specific speed is equal to a set number of revolutions per second. It doesn't see or feel the difference in overall size.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the input guys............I was under the impression from some other posts on the forum that a programmer was a "must" with the lift and tire change. I can see some advantages with some of the features, but since I also have a 6-speed Rubi, I can feel when to shift my vehicle, I've only been driving a stick for 35 years.

Steps, I am torn between the 3.5 entry level, and the 3.5 Mid Arm Flex.

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode