2011 JKU 5.7 Truck Hemi Cooling fan Options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By elusive
  • 1 Post By stevenjoh1972

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-23-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
2011 JKU 5.7 Truck Hemi Cooling fan Options

I have a 2011 JKU. I have a 2013 Dodge Ram Truck motor in it. The kit is from JSS. My 3.8L started burning oil real bad, and my crappy warranty company voided my lifetime warranty because I had a wench on the bumper and dirt under the hood. My local dealership installed the hemi. I live in Mooresville North Carolina, and it is not unusual to see 100 degree days in August-September. I have had several issues along the way with this kit. The engine driven fan, and clutch assembly noted in the BOM did not fit. The fan was close enough to make contact with the radiator so I sent the parts back and installed a pretty cool fan called a SideWinder which I bought from Mattsons Custom radiator. It is belt driven moves a ton of air, and is only 1 7/8" thick. After 4 mo it seized up waiting for my McDs breakfast. To repair it I put in a SPAL 16" Slim Line 30100400. The other issue I had was the coolant bottle in the BOM did not fit so I was at Kooks Exhaust, they wanted to use my Jeep to design a full exhaust system for the Hemi Jeep. I asked if they could fabricate me an overflow bottle. 870.00 later I have a custom Shroud and Over flow bottle. The issue I am having now is the Spal seems to be having some issues keep up. Engine temps have risen from 190s to 210s, and trans temps have risen from 160s to 190s on an 85 degree day with high humidity. I am about to buy a pusher fan for the trans cooler.

Recommendations, and advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

I use the stock Pentastar fan with a C & R Racing radiator. The owner designed this system for his own 6.4 liter Hemi. I was intent on changing my fan and he told me these brushless Pentastar fans are some of the most powerful on the market.The t-stat fully opens about 203* & my fan kicks in at 212 - 215*. That's about as good as a Semi will cool especially here in the altitude pulling these long mountain passes. The system works well.and uses the stock overflow bottle.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Wheeler

What fan are you using? The 15” or 18”? I am doing my swap as we speak and am unsure what route to go with fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I am currently using the SPAL 16" Slimline. The flex fan would not work with the Northern Radiator that JSS uses. The fan clutch that JSS suggests in his BOM was 2 close to the radiator. I used a 2013 VVT Truck engine. @scubatech where did you put the coolant bottle? Do you have a 5.7 or a 6.4? Did you use Jeep Speed Shop kit or someone elses?

PS,

What is the deal with uploading photos? I tried I upload some of mine by dragging them to the upload place it opens the file and then goes away.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
I use the stock Pentastar fan with a C & R Racing radiator. The owner designed this system for his own 6.4 liter Hemi. I was intent on changing my fan and he told me these brushless Pentastar fans are some of the most powerful on the market.The t-stat fully opens about 203* & my fan kicks in at 212 - 215*. That's about as good as a Semi will cool especially here in the altitude pulling these long mountain passes. The system works well.and uses the stock overflow bottle.
Is the Pentastar fan plug and play on let’s say a 2009? I have a 5.7 2010 truck Hemi with the JSS kit. Using the fan clutch and 18” fan works fine. The fan is about 3/4”-1” from the radiator. My first radiator, Northern, sprung a leak after a little over a year.

I used a TJ coolant bottle on the pax side. May switch out to a 3x10” recirc bottle from summit
post #6 of 20 Old 02-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Wheeler

Interested as well. Running the JSS shroud and engine driven fan. Considering going to the electric fan for better low RPM cooling.

2014 Red JKU Rubicon 5.7 Hemi
MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer Lite on Mopar Ultimate Dana 60s
post #7 of 20 Old 02-25-2018, 06:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Is the Pentastar fan plug and play on let’s say a 2009? I have a 5.7 2010 truck Hemi with the JSS kit. Using the fan clutch and 18” fan works fine. The fan is about 3/4”-1” from the radiator. My first radiator, Northern, sprung a leak after a little over a year.

I used a TJ coolant bottle on the pax side. May switch out to a 3x10” recirc bottle from summit
Some wiring has to be done for it to work in 2009. Motech or RPM could answer that question for you. The guys at C & R Racing Radiator told me to keep stock fan because of it's power & long life.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I still have my stock fan from my 3.8L. It doesn't fit. It is to deep. I had a custom fan shroud and over flow bottle made for me. Now trans temps are up to a 194 degrees on a 85 degree day. Engine temps hold constant at about 210-215. I saw a photo that Todd posted which had a Spal fan in front of the trans cooler. The fan he said he used was a Spal 30100435. That fan is a puller fan which seems pointless in front of the radiator. Spal makes the same fan in a pusher it is part number 30100320. I am going to pick that fan up and mount it in front of the trans cooler and blow air through the condensor. I already have a Spal puller fan which is part number 30100400. The good folks out at Mattson Custom Radiator actually suggest this for out applications. https://the-fan-man.com/product/16-s...tric-fan-s516/.

The 5.7 and 6.4 swaps don't seem to equate to same amount of room front to back. I have a friend of mine with the AEV 6.4 kit. He has room for days to run factory electric fans, and coolant bottles.

I figured out the photos I took are to big to upload. I will go take some low res photos and upload them in a couple min of what mine looks like.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-25-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Turned the resolution all the way down and it still wont let me upload them.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/krypto29s/library/

Last edited by stevenjoh1972; 02-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-25-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
post #12 of 20 Old 02-26-2018, 08:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Steven, I fitted a 5.7 from a 2014 Ram also using a JSS kit. My only difference is my 07JK is a RHD so a couple of items have been changed. But all in all, same deal with cooling.

I optioned to have a triple core radiator made from copper as this could be modded further down the track, if required. Glad I went this route as it has been back several times for tweaking.
When I originally fitted the Hemi, I ran an aftermarket fan due to the lack of space.
This unit smoked itself in a matter of weeks, so my bind was, do I order a new fan, or use what was available to me? Not wanting to screw around with waiting on a replacement, I utilized the factory fan by recessing the radiator into the support panel.
To buy more room, I ground the threaded section of the viscous hub down with the old angle grinder.

One thing that no one told me, if you use the factory fan, fit a 195f thermostat to the Hemi or otherwise the fan will always be running. Reason being, the Hemi's thermostat is a 203f, so the fan will start running before the Hemi's thermostat even thinks of opening.

My combo has allowed me to cruise at 55 mph in 105f temps with the scangauge registering 197f....

Another reason to fit the factory fan is that the ability of the computer to switch on the fan when the A/C is being used. Regardless of engine temp.
Despite what some say, the fan is controlled by the TIPM.

Hope this can possibly help..
post #13 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Wheeler

The TIPM controls the fan? I did not know that. Refresh my memory was yours a 3.8 or 3.6? I am currently working on my swap, I actually am working on my own mounts as I think a lot of issues w/ Hemi swaps are due to less than ideal engine placement. I think I have found a good spot but that’s for another thread. Did you need to do anything electrical to get fan to function? I realize repackaging was needed.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 10:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
The TIPM controls the fan? I did not know that. Refresh my memory was yours a 3.8 or 3.6? I am currently working on my swap, I actually am working on my own mounts as I think a lot of issues w/ Hemi swaps are due to less than ideal engine placement. I think I have found a good spot but that’s for another thread. Did you need to do anything electrical to get fan to function? I realize repackaging was needed.
my Jk was fitted with the 3.8 with a 6 speed manual trans.
The JSS kit in mine wont allow the engine to go back any further. Which is good because as you are aware, real estate up from is minimal.

As for function of the factory fan, she's just a plug back in and off she goes. I tried running an aux thermostat controller but figured the factory works the best in my situation.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Wheeler

I like the idea of using OE fan controls, good catch on the thermostat temp difference too BTW.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

I have a 2011 hemi in my 2011 wrangler.
I cheated the front grill forward 3/4" and the stock fan fits. I only moved the top 2 bolts. you cant tell unless I point it out.
rockystock likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive View Post
I have a 2011 hemi in my 2011 wrangler.
I cheated the front grill forward 3/4" and the stock fan fits. I only moved the top 2 bolts. you cant tell unless I point it out.
@elusive Thanks for posting this. I'm working on a similar setup, but not sure which bolts you moved. The front clip has four bolts at the very top and four longer bolts down low on either side of the radiator...

Last edited by rockystock; 05-06-2018 at 08:01 PM.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Looks like AEV sells a pentastar fan conversion kit for the older (2007-2008) JK with (or without) a hemi. It apparently also requires their AEV Procal module and a newer TIPM to work. Has anyone tried this setup?

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/s...ersion-harness
post #19 of 20 Old 05-13-2018, 10:27 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodjk View Post
Despite what some say, the fan is controlled by the TIPM.

Hope this can possibly help..
The TIPM does control the fan but it gets its signal from the PCM as to what speed to run at.

We have this PWM harness that makes it much easier to add on. http://www.rpmextreme.com/Product/25...tstar-Fan.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #20 of 20 Old 09-10-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Cooling problems solved

I know I started this thread some time ago. I wanted to circle back and answer my own question so that others may benefit. It took some experimenting, and some really nice and smart race guys. I have gotten it figured out. It started with changing my SPAL slimline with the Spal 3010517 electrix fan. That lowered my engine temps about 5 degrees, I then cut the hood and installed a GenRight hood louver. You can use any vented hood louver. I chose GenRight because it is aluminum. That lowed my temps 12 degrees. I then blocked off the area to the right and left of the radiator which forced all the air to go through the radiator. That saved me another 5 degrees.

I am now running 203-208 on a 100+ degree day and running the AC on full blast without issues. Hopefully this helps someone else.

If you are looking the best radiator on the market check out C&R.
rockystock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode