Maxxis Creepy Crawlers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Maxxis Creepy Crawlers

So I found a pretty good deal on a set of brand new 35x12.5x15 Creepies. I've been searching around and not finding too much recent info on them. Is anyone on here running them? If so, what do you think? I know the typical "bias tires aren't good for on-road" and people saying that the soft compound will wear fast. However, I also read a review of a guy with 8K on his and still having about 80% tread left. But, I am hoping someone on here might have some real world experience with them.

Anyone?

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Rock God

My dad has ran the 37" creepies for over a year now in his TJ. He loves them as an offroad tire. The side wall definitely bites onto obstacles and they perform extremely well on rough terrain, but they do suck on pavement. The noise is tolerable, but they do indeed wear down at a fast rate which is obviously since they're a soft tread bias tire. Ive also heard some issues with people having major uneven wear, so if you do go with them, properly rotate them often!

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big Thanks to Jason at

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #3 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks man. I plan on keeping my coopers as my "distance" road tires and having the creepies as my "mainly" offroad tires. My commute is only 10 miles each way to work, so even if I do get lazy about a swap here and there, it isn't going to be any long hauls on them.

I am just having a hard time passing up a deal at the moment...

Jersey
Crew
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Rock God

My buddy has them on his old bronco and it seems they don't bite very well/sidewall doesn't flex well. It could be that he has a fiberglass body(w/ most of the fiberglass destroyed/missing) and is very light though. His 35 is also very small and he says they seem closer to 33s. He said he wouldn't buy again, but he also hasn't ripped a sidewall and has been very please in that regard.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
My buddy has them on his old bronco and it seems they don't bite very well/sidewall doesn't flex well. It could be that he has a fiberglass body(w/ most of the fiberglass destroyed/missing) and is very light though. His 35 is also very small and he says they seem closer to 33s. He said he wouldn't buy again, but he also hasn't ripped a sidewall and has been very please in that regard.
That's the first I've heard of the 35 running small. The larger sizes I have heard maybe a little off, but, from what I was able to find the 35 was one of the "true" 35's out there. I think it depended on whether it was mounted on an 8 or 10 inch wheel too. 8" was true to size, 10" tended to be a bit shorter when both were a 37.

that also is the first I heard about them not biting or flexing well. Most times (again, from what I read when the site was down today) was that after the first one or two trips, the sidewalls "loosened" up. The only time I read about not biting well was on wet rock. What kind of terrain is your buddy running them in? Mainly rocks? Mud?

Jersey
Crew
post #6 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
My buddy has them on his old bronco and it seems they don't bite very well/sidewall doesn't flex well.
X2! If they aren't the competition compound and 40's, I'd pass.

Had a set, and they were awful unless heated up and very dry conditions. I don't mean OK unless heated up and in wet conditions, I MEAN AWFUL.

AND SMALL.

Very heavy, very thick sidewalls that do not wrap even at 5psi. Pass.

post #7 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Wow. Keep the info coming. I'm honestly kind of shocked after reading around this morning.

Considering that a good chunk of the wheeling out here involves wetness, I am very thankful to have gotten this feedback. I saw pictures of them with ~5lbs in them wrapping around rocks. This is interesting. Guess it's a good deal for a reason then, huh?

Jersey
Crew
post #8 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Wow. Keep the info coming. I'm honestly kind of shocked after reading around this morning.

Considering that a good chunk of the wheeling out here involves wetness, I am very thankful to have gotten this feedback. I saw pictures of them with ~5lbs in them wrapping around rocks. This is interesting. Guess it's a good deal for a reason then, huh?
The comp tires will wrap and do stick, but not the street compound. And it sucks on the street. Go figure.

post #9 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well, shit.

I was getting pretty excited about these too. All I was reading was about how in love with them some folks were, and how they cleaned out nicely in mud, stuck to rocks, etc, etc. This is why I appeal to the fine folks on JKO for some real world opinions.

I still welcome any additional reinforcements of the suck brought by them. As well as anyone who might think differently...

So far we have one happy camper and a few who say to stay far away. Not the ratio I was expecting...

Jersey
Crew

Last edited by Mr. T; 09-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Rock God

I saw your post on my other thread where i had bought the 37's. I do have the sticky compound tires and they are very soft. I have 2 wheelin trips on mine. They suck on road. The first trip, I aired down to 15 psi and did not get any flex out of the side wall but they still went extremely well. Better than my KM2's. It was raining that day so we were in muddy rock and also on slick rock. I was crawling where a lot of the other guys running swampers and tsl's were having to use a lot of horsepower. I was very pleased with them. The 2nd trip, I aired down to 8 psi and they flexed great around jagged rock. They also went so much better down at 8 psi. 2 guys on that trip have called me to find out where I got mine because they were impressed with how well they went. I absolutely love mine off road and would buy another set in a heart beat. I wheel in places like Harlan KY, Mountain city TN, Uwharrie NF, and the Gulches in SC. Its a mixture of dirt, dirty rock and slick rock and often very wet. I am in the market for a street tire for sure but think I have found my offroad tire. I am including a video and some pics to show what I was wheelin with and the type of trails I like. The only one I have of me is going up a trail called Superman At The Flats in Marion but i will include Pics of trails that I conquered. The white Jeep is mine of course and I came up the same line as the buggy.

YouTube - 047

YouTube - Brad on Superman sorry for the music. I didnt take the video

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.

Last edited by levellinebrad; 09-22-2010 at 03:39 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
...I absolutely love mine off road and would buy another set in a heart beat. I wheel in places like Harlan KY, Mountain city TN, Uwharrie NF, and the Gulches in SC. Its a mixture of dirt, dirty rock and slick rock and often very wet...
sorry for the music. I didnt take the video
Glad to hear some positive stuff. Most of the terrain out here in Jersey is either sandy (pine barrens), flooded (pine barrens), dirt trails (more pines) or dirt trail/rocks (rausch creek). Most times there will be some moisture involved somewhere, similar to what I have seen of Uwharrie.

I showed my wife pics of the tire and she was in love. She was originally all about boggers, but, I talked her out of it.

As for the music, well... ya can't win 'em all.

Thanks for the input. If you have any other thoughts, feel free to let me know. I'm still on the fence, despite some of the negatives listed. I've read a bunch, and it looks like no matter what tire you look at, you will hear both sides anyway.

Jersey
Crew
post #12 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Rock God

My buddy with the broco said his bronco buddies that have the comp. compound like theirs much better than his. I think he's running his on 10" wide trail ready beadlocks(which I think are even wider than 10, but could be wrong). My dad's 35" Kevlar MTRs on 9.5" wide wheels dwarf his 35" creepy crawlers.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Rock God

I am running mine on 8's and they measure a tad over 37

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

If I do go with this set, it would be run on 15x8's. Still waiting on an answer as to whether they are street or comp compound. We shall see.

Jersey
Crew
post #15 of 19 Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The 40's in Comp are great, the only problem I have with them is they dont clean out as well as the Treps. I have a few acquaintances that run them in the 35 and 37's and everyone seems to like them a lot. Personally I am a big fan of the Maxxis over BFG, the only reason is the sidewall is less likely to get cut and they have some crazy sidewall grip...Yes the BFG is a stickier tire and may preform just a little better but since tires are not available to me on an as needed basis I had to chose Maxxis. I would run a set of 35's or 37's for sure. Maxxis in my opinion would be a better choice than say a Toyo MT or a Nitto MT, they only other choice would be a Goodyear MTR Kevlar (in the 35" game). But for sure get them run them and keep us informed....
Attached Images

Thunder Motorsports, Inc
828.252.8550 - Coker - Owner
Teraflex, Rough Country, Poison Spyder, SmittyBilt, Superwinch, Bushwacker, Powertank, Nitto, Falken, BFG and many more

post #16 of 19 Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks Thunder.

I am still in talks with the guy. I asked what compound, and he told me they are Comp. Sent me to the link where they were purchased. Seems on the up and up. Waiting for pics to arrive with the sticker info and all, but, I am most likely going to roll with it. May not be mounted for a while, but, if and when they are, I will be sure to give my review/opinion.

To be honest, I'm kind of excited about these. It's like Christmas on Halloween this year.

Jersey
Crew
post #17 of 19 Old 09-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Wheeler

Have a set of 37x12.5-15 creepy crawlers ordered. I assume they are not the competition compound.
My concern is the terrain here in the north east (wet rock) is not the best for the tires?
I still have time to change the order.....
And thoughts or other tires that may work better than the creepy?
Just would suck spending $$$ to get a tire that doesn't work as expected.
FYI the jeep currently has mtr Kevlar 35" tires. So that's my reference.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-28-2017, 05:26 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
I saw your post on my other thread where i had bought the 37's. I do have the sticky compound tires and they are very soft. I have 2 wheelin trips on mine. They suck on road. The first trip, I aired down to 15 psi and did not get any flex out of the side wall but they still went extremely well. Better than my KM2's. It was raining that day so we were in muddy rock and also on slick rock. I was crawling where a lot of the other guys running swampers and tsl's were having to use a lot of horsepower. I was very pleased with them. The 2nd trip, I aired down to 8 psi and they flexed great around jagged rock. They also went so much better down at 8 psi. 2 guys on that trip have called me to find out where I got mine because they were impressed with how well they went. I absolutely love mine off road and would buy another set in a heart beat. I wheel in places like Harlan KY, Mountain city TN, Uwharrie NF, and the Gulches in SC. Its a mixture of dirt, dirty rock and slick rock and often very wet. I am in the market for a street tire for sure but think I have found my offroad tire. I am including a video and some pics to show what I was wheelin with and the type of trails I like. The only one I have of me is going up a trail called Superman At The Flats in Marion but i will include Pics of trails that I conquered. The white Jeep is mine of course and I came up the same line as the buggy.

YouTube - 047

YouTube - Brad on Superman sorry for the music. I didnt take the video
What size 37"?
I'm looking at the 37x12.5-15. it doesn't give an option for compound

What
post #19 of 19 Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by last5liter View Post
What size 37"?
I'm looking at the 37x12.5-15. it doesn't give an option for compound

What
im gonna assume that you noticed the comment - not to mention the thread itself - is seven years old , right?
The direct response to @levelinebrad MIGHT get a reply but even tho his post count is high, he has not had any activity on the forum since this past April, so maybe a PM to him will help get a response. Just trying to help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode