2Likes
  • 1 Post By TRD
  • 1 Post By ASSFROW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Recommendations on "other" shocks.

Most people I have seen are on Ranchos, Fox, Kings etc. ( I have Fox now)

I haven't seen to much on the Dana Spicer/Walker Evans shocks or the (now AFE) Sway-a-way shocks.
Does anyone have them?
Any opinions on them?

I need to get longer and adjustable shocks, and looking at my options.

2013 PBU JKU-S, 37x12.50R17 KO2s, Fuel D552, RE: 3.5progressive+hydrbumps+disconnects TF:TB-DL-TR+Long arms+LCAskids+FoxResi+tailgate, grade 9 bolts, 10th hood, NemInd fenders, RSE Al rear, TNT stubby + sliders, ORH top, KCGravityPros, JWS taillight, Riddle cover 4.56 eaton elocker, sleeves + chromolys, DT BJs, Mopar + DT brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2018, 09:14 PM
JKO Addict!

All shocks are basically the same thing. A piston, valve stack, and some oil and maybe nitrogen. Basic differences is how the can is assembled, how they stack the shims, oil, servicability, type of seals, and size of the shaft. Walker Evans, and sway away have not embraced the jeep community is the main reason you don't see them. I find more people pick shocks based on color then anything else. What do you expect to get out of a set of shocks?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks thedirtman

I do realize that I am looking to go overkill for my uses. I know my current shocks are short, and aren't tuned for my now-heavier jku.

My JKU gets used as a city daily driver, a truck for hauling loads, for long highway trips, unpaved trails and mud on farms and back roads, and for medium trail rock crawling. It isn't designed to be great at any one of those things and I am sure I have made some choice mistakes in picking parts over the 5 years...
I currently have 5 year old teraflex-tuned fox with resi's for 2.5 inch lifts that aren't long enough and are too soft for my current vehicle weight ( especially if loaded down and hardtop on) and bounce more than expected if I hit ruts on my daily. I am looking to replace my current with something more adjustable to the different usages and the proper length for a 3.5" lift (progressive springs). Also been steadily adding load the last 2 years with TNT sliders, Rockhard full skids, and a hardtop in "winter", etc. I have a teraflex longarm but mostly because I needed to remount the brackets and arms anyways and that's what was available - I was after highway ride not more raw articulation, which it accomplished for that purpose.

I can't justify a proper setup for coilovers etc. as I don't use the jku in a manner that would benefit. Truly rockcrawl less than 10 times a year and no fast running.

My first instinct was to just replace them with fox resevoirs with adjusters, but I started looking at all the adjustable shocks on the market to get a sense of usefulness of adjusters and worth (King, Fox, JRI, Bilstein, ARB / OME, Teraflex / Falcon, Metalcloak, RockKrawler, Rancho, AFE / Sway-a-way, Dana Spicer / Walker Evans, Radflo).

Normally it is a Fox or Kings, but I was looking at the others to get more information...

Falcons I see all of the marketing and posts, I don't like the upside down rear mount and I would have to cut off my rear shock mount guards ( likely the whole shock mount and replace with theirs) . The Falcon3.4 have air changes to the adjustment to change form the inside, but I am going to be reconfiguring for each task anyway (tire air pressure, disconnect, roof, etc.) so that kind of function doesn't matter to me.

JRIs are interesting, not a lot of information.. They came out with their JRide on a JK but seem to have priced that out of market or not brought to market. They also have an interesting upper mount, not enough information on their lengths, and an availability size gap in the lift size (3-4")

Sway-a-ways bypass shocks have compression and rebound adjusters on an option which makes them interesting, and claim design and built in USA. Same with Radflo, but it seems I can get the AFE shocks cheaper.

Dana/Spicer had a good rep with those I talked to on the assembly components, UJoints, etc. which is how I actually even found that they had a shock, while looking for other parts I needed (need to get driveshafts). Didn't know they had bought Walker Evans.

Icon, couldn't find details too much on their site.

Ranchos seem to have the only adjustable non-resi I saw.

2013 PBU JKU-S, 37x12.50R17 KO2s, Fuel D552, RE: 3.5progressive+hydrbumps+disconnects TF:TB-DL-TR+Long arms+LCAskids+FoxResi+tailgate, grade 9 bolts, 10th hood, NemInd fenders, RSE Al rear, TNT stubby + sliders, ORH top, KCGravityPros, JWS taillight, Riddle cover 4.56 eaton elocker, sleeves + chromolys, DT BJs, Mopar + DT brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Bypass shocks are going to give you the best adjustability but are going to be the most expensive route to go. You still need the valving inside the shock set up for your application. OME has a shock with both compression and rebound adjustment that is different from other bypass shocks but again they are $400+ per corner.

Everyone seems to be getting into the high end shock these day with the popularity of the kings over the last few years. Many new shocks come with lots of hype and a media blitz on all the social media, forums and by the resellers. Everyone want to sell more and make ore money. For the end user it just makes it more confusing and many end up buying more on the looks of the shocks then in the actual performance. Performance will also vary from jeep to jeep based on its set up and weight.
A good example is the 5100 shock as you can read reviews that they are too soft or too stiff or ride great. Funny how the same shock gets such different reviews. OME shocks typically get good review but many people won't run them because of the color, a lot of people want shiny shocks.

IF you are real picky and will take the time buy a shock that can be rebuilt so you can change the valving and oil to suit your needs. Its going to cost you though. You can also work with a shock tuner and if you are willing to get some good info on your high such as actual corner weights, desired travel, up/down ratio and a little time a tuner should be able to dial in set up for you.

If you are going to ask about king vs sway a way you might as well just bang your head on the wall as there are too many factors that will influence the performance.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 AM

I went with ADS shocks on my JKU. They are pricey but so far I really like them. There are 20 adjustments per shock which is nice since I tow my Jeep behind a motorhome and it allows me to adjust for that. I like having the option to adjust my ride based on the terrain.

Good luck.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 AM
TRD
Granite Guru

Sounds to me like you need a custom tuned Fox 2.0 LSC adjustable shock in the proper length. We can help with that.
tapcola likes this.

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Yellow, you want yellow.

Springs also make a diference. I run Rancho 9100s and currently have Synergy springs on a JK. I ran the sam shocks on a JKU with RockKrawler springs and the Synergy springs are softer ove big bumps, RK softer over small stuff. The shocks managed both applications fine with different settings. I chose the Ranchos for price and warranty and have been happy. I mean I chose them for the color, I like the color. Silver is awesome.

I know you asked about different shocks, but I answered anyway.
Rancho Suspension likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thank you everyone!

I got the JK ramped yesterday and got the measurements, turns out the rear shocks are actually perfect for length, I need to do a axle side bracket relocate in the front and the shocks are just worn after 5 years and no servicing. With the long arms, a 2.5 looked like it would hit scrape so sticking with 2.0 Fox same lengths but with an adjustor.

Getting the order through shop I ramped at free install and testing so if it isn't right they'll exchange and send out for re-valve, evidently I know an area service center guy for Fox.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode