JK 6.4L Hemi with Icon Coil Over Conversion Spring Rate help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-17-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Question JK 6.4L Hemi with Icon Coil Over Conversion Spring Rate help

Hello Everyone, new member here. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to suspensions so please be patient with me. I have searched high and low and have called Icon and a few other guys but they have not been too much of a help.

I am looking for some help on my 2016 JK 4 door 6.4L Hemi with the Icon stage 2.0 Coilover 1.75-4.0" Conversion in the front. It also has a Warn 10K Zeon on the front bumper. I believe that the guy that I bought the Jeep from did not have the correct coil over spring rates in the front to compensate for the added weight of the Hemi and the winch. I have taken some measurements and to me the shock seems much too compressed at resting position.

Your input and guidance is much appreciated!

Questions I have:

1) Does anyone else out there have this set up? If so, did you change your spring rates and to what?
2) At rest there in only 2.7" of travel before the shock bottoms out. Is this realistic?
3) What spacer and puck do you have on the bump stop?
4) Am I missing anything here?

Quick Overview:

Estimated added weight of the Hemi and the Winch: 245 lbs

Note: For some reason Icon puts the heavier rate coil on the top. Does anyone know why? Icon said, "that is the way we do it"
Coil Rate Top: 10" 350
Coil Rate Bottom: 12" 200

Exposed Shock, as measured from the bottom coil retainer where the coil sits to the base of the shock body. Basically the shinny part of the shaft
Resting: 2.7"
Full droop: 7.48"

Another thing to note that the shock will bottom out before the icon bump stop is bottomed out. I believe that there should be a bigger bump stop puck on the axle and also a spacer on the actual bump stop.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-17-2018, 05:29 PM
JKO Addict!

You just need some adjustment. Your rates are not that bad and I am not sure why they run the higher rate up top which does not make sense to me as you go from an effective rate of 275 to 250 on hard hits.Your added weight should only make a 1/2" difference in ride height which is easily adjusted by adding some preload to the shocks. I would think this step was missed in the set up/ Simply droop your vehicle all the way out and turn the screws down about 2.5". This will lift he ride height and give you more up travel. You want to not your pinion angles and caster after doing so. You are also correct you should have more bump stop pad so it will bottom out the air bump first. You should also check the nitrogen pressure in the shocks to make sure they are properly charged. Most will start at 150 psi and you need a special tool and tank to check the pressure. If the pressure is not set right it will ride low as well.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You just need some adjustment. Your rates are not that bad and I am not sure why they run the higher rate up top which does not make sense to me as you go from an effective rate of 275 to 250 on hard hits.Your added weight should only make a 1/2" difference in ride height which is easily adjusted by adding some preload to the shocks. I would think this step was missed in the set up/ Simply droop your vehicle all the way out and turn the screws down about 2.5". This will lift he ride height and give you more up travel. You want to not your pinion angles and caster after doing so. You are also correct you should have more bump stop pad so it will bottom out the air bump first. You should also check the nitrogen pressure in the shocks to make sure they are properly charged. Most will start at 150 psi and you need a special tool and tank to check the pressure. If the pressure is not set right it will ride low as well.
Thank you for the information. I will check to see if I can turn then down a little more. I just need to watch out for spring bind. The coils are pretty close as is and they are actually forming and "S" shape and rubbing on the shock body. I need to take care of the height first or my bump stop will be riding on the landing pad the whole time if I add a spacer in there.

It is weird that they have the higher rate spring on the top.

I will also check the nitrogen level. I don't have the tools to do that but a local shop in town will be able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode