Motobilt TJ fuel cell...in a JK (pump question) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By christensent
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 2 Post By christensent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Motobilt TJ fuel cell...in a JK (pump question)

so hoping to do a fuel cell before a big trip in may.

the motobilt fuel cell has peaked my interest, i called them asking about installing a JK pump since it'll be in my JK. Person on the phone said i can just trim it a little to make it fit and he's had customers who have done so.

does anyone here have first hand experience with this that can confirm it? Cant exactly find measurements for a JK fuel pump

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
so hoping to do a fuel cell before a big trip in may.

the motobilt fuel cell has peaked my interest, i called them asking about installing a JK pump since it'll be in my JK. Person on the phone said i can just trim it a little to make it fit and he's had customers who have done so.

does anyone here have first hand experience with this that can confirm it? Cant exactly find measurements for a JK fuel pump
Don't know whether it fits on a TJ, but I have a JK pump (whole assembly with the mount plate and the whole in-tank assembly) on the shelf if you want me to take any measurements/pictures. I have heard things changed on the TJ in the last few years of production to make the pump more like a JK's so it might be year dependent too.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Don't know whether it fits on a TJ, but I have a JK pump (whole assembly with the mount plate and the whole in-tank assembly) on the shelf if you want me to take any measurements/pictures. I have heard things changed on the TJ in the last few years of production to make the pump more like a JK's so it might be year dependent too.
if you can get me a measurement of the JK fuel pump thatd be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Rock God

Not sure exactly what dimension you're looking for, if other than these let me know and I can measure anything.

Cutting the 5.975" dimension down or removing the wing on the OD is trivial. Trimming the 5.095" dimension isn't easy and wouldn't exactly be described as trimming, that'd be sanding that diameter down and there's not much material there (for example, making it fit in a 5" hole would not be a good plan).

chknkatsu likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Wheeler

From what I have read an '05-'06 TJ fuel pump will work with a JK. This is what I have planned but still 2-3 months away before I could provide any feedback.

Since I have not posted enough I can't provide a link but if you search the forum for "Gas tank relocation on the cheap" there is a discussion about the other fuel pump.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 PM
JKO Addict!

You are correct. I ran a genright tj fuel cell for a while and the JK pump was a direct fit.
chknkatsu likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Wheeler

But have you tried using a '05-'06 Fuel Pump with a JK?
post #8 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

I have not, I believe the tj pump assembly is taller then the JK but fits the same ring. Why do you want to use a TJ pump in a JK?

Some build info here:

post #9 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM
Wheeler

I have read that if you use a JK fuel pump in a TJ fuel tank the legs of the JK fuel pump need to be extended.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Yes the TJ tank is taller then the JK. Cant tell you about flow or psi though I would think it would work with both being fuel injected.

Some build info here:

post #11 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Wheeler

From what I have read the psi is similar/the same.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Not sure exactly what dimension you're looking for, if other than these let me know and I can measure anything.

Cutting the 5.975" dimension down or removing the wing on the OD is trivial. Trimming the 5.095" dimension isn't easy and wouldn't exactly be described as trimming, that'd be sanding that diameter down and there's not much material there (for example, making it fit in a 5" hole would not be a good plan).

that is perfect. thank you.

seems like its the same outter diameter as a TJ, just have to snip off the tab

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfsponsoredJK View Post
I have read that if you use a JK fuel pump in a TJ fuel tank the legs of the JK fuel pump need to be extended.
Motobilt told me that i will have to extend the pickup, no biggie...i think

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #14 of 14 Old 02-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
Motobilt told me that i will have to extend the pickup, no biggie...i think
It's easy if you buy Genright's $50 kit. It has everything you need to extend the JK pump. You could source the pieces cheaper except the extended rods which you'd have to get creative on. You do not have to extend the fuel line itself as it is long enough, only the wiring.
chknkatsu and jkwebbie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode