Diesel Engine Swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Diesel Engine Swap

I NEED MORE POWER! I have been looking and reading about hemi swaps since I got the jk and I want to be different, plus I love my diesel truck and think there are more pros then cons when compairing diesel to gas. I know some people have put 4bt's in tj's but how hard would it be to put one in a jk? Also how much power could you get out of a properly tuned 4bt? And what other diesel engines would fit in a jk? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcologne25 View Post
I NEED MORE POWER! I have been looking and reading about hemi swaps since I got the jk and I want to be different, plus I love my diesel truck and think there are more pros then cons when compairing diesel to gas. I know some people have put 4bt's in tj's but how hard would it be to put one in a jk? Also how much power could you get out of a properly tuned 4bt? And what other diesel engines would fit in a jk? Thanks in advance
For about $35K+install you can install a factory 2.8VM with dash and all buying all the parts from Europe! The 4bt can be used in any Jeep, the only issue would be running a standard pedal with cable and you would need to disable all those electronics on board. Emmissions could also be a problem depending on where you live in the country.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Oh boy where to begin. If you plan to have all the electronics still work, be prepared to spend alot. I know there is 1-2 companies who have done it but the electrical was a nightmare.

You can get alot of power from a 4bt. There are dudes drag racing them with 700hp and 1000+++ tq. Again this comes down to money. (http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ger/index.html )

Considering this would be 100% custom fab, you can theoretically fit almost any diesel in there depending on how much cutting you want to do. AEV stuck a 6BT in a JK. It rode on a shortened Ram chasiss but still fit within the sheet metal of the JK engine compartment (with significant motivation). (http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur..._jk/index.html)

Lastly werent you the one who asked for sponsorship a little while back? Unless you won the lottery this may not be the undertaking for you... just a suggestion (not meant to be offensive)

Last edited by ALASHA; 09-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I live in el paso county so there are no emissions. When I asked for sponsorship (which was fucking stupid) that was 6 months ago when I was unemployed, I now have a Good paying job, sold some toys (lots of them), and am trying to do this with all my own money and do it the right way. I dont exactly have 35k laying around but have a good chunk of change. I was contemplating an avenger supercharger but I dont want to spend 4700 dollars to gain 72 hp.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
I live in el paso county so there are no emissions. When I asked for sponsorship (which was fucking stupid) that was 6 months ago when I was unemployed, I now have a Good paying job, sold some toys (lots of them), and am trying to do this with all my own money and do it the right way. I dont exactly have 35k laying around but have a good chunk of change. I was contemplating an avenger supercharger but I dont want to spend 4700 dollars to gain 72 hp.
The 4bt's get 105-140 HP 225-275 Ft tq depending on which one you get. You can find the engine for $3000-3500, you will need custom motor mounts made and some sort of adapter for a transmission. The manual NV4500 bolts right up no adpaters are needed and you need to use a GM clutch. If auto is a must then your looking at an adapter and Novak makes them for GM transmissions. For more power you can intercool and get 100ft tq that would put you to 325-375ft tq depending on the 4bft you pick up there are many applications for these engines. You want the one out of the bread truck as they have an accessory belt drive on them which saves money.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Rock God

Wouldn't it be cheaper to import a deisel JK from Europe?

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #7 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Granite Guru

There have to be a few diesel JK's in the wreckers by now.....shouldn't be that hard to find one in Europe or Australia that has the parts that you need.

The VM 2.8 diesel motor suits the JK very well....
post #8 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

HEMI or SC.....its easier and you keep all your electronics.
post #9 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Granite Guru

With the number floating around on what a swap would cost, wouldn't it be cheaper to by a used Liberty with the diesel and use that as a doner car, you get all the electronic etc!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #10 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
With the number floating around on what a swap would cost, wouldn't it be cheaper to by a used Liberty with the diesel and use that as a doner car, you get all the electronic etc!
I think in order to buy one cheap enough it would have way to many miles on it
post #11 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I am looking at either getting a 1.9 VW TDI for my LJ or selling for a JK not 100% yet. The 1.9TDI is a great engine the later PD motor puts out 90HP 178ft tq...which can be bumped close to 300ft tq from an intercooler alone, or add a bigger turbo/tune. I am looking to make it mechnical which could loose some of the power.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #12 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
I think in order to buy one cheap enough it would have way to many miles on it
Wrecked they are $7-8k you could recoupe some of your money by selling the good parts that could suck though.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #13 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Wheeler

Anything can be done with enough time, patients, and money.

I've got a Samurai with a VW diesel in it. Not nearly as complex as a VM in a JK (I've also got a KJ with the 2.8 VM in it, I'd LOVE to have that same engine in my JK!). I did take my swap to the next level though, it's a turbo diesel instead of a NA. And I did powersteering too. It's sporting twin t-cases as well.

To retrofit in a 2.8 VM from a KJ, you're going to need the entire rig. You'll also need to basically swap EVERYTHING. The KJ's have a bastard setup for controls. There's a ECM, PCM, TCM, and BCM. It's a non standard CANBUS setup as well. And all the modules fight in contention for master. I can't see the ECM and TCM working with our BCM.

I'd seriously consider swapping mills in my JK, but I've got the lifetime warranty. When we retire the KJ from Mom's Taxi duty I'm claiming it for me. It'll get straight axles under it and a full cage.

2010 - Unlimited Sport, Hella 500's on the windsheild. Hey it's a start!
1988 - Suzuki Samurai with a VW 1.6 turbo diesel, twin cases, SOA lift, YJ springs, onboard welder, and more
1999 - Dodge Ram 2500 cummins 4x4, 35's, 3" lift, 462rwhp "The tow truck"

Hers:
2005 - Jeep Liberty CRD. APS converter, transgo shift kit, glasspack muffler, Diablo Power puck 27+ mpg
post #14 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Thats cool, saw the conversion kit offered not sure I could bring myself to use a toyota transmision in a Jeep!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #15 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Thats cool, saw the conversion kit offered not sure I could bring myself to use a toyota transmision in a Jeep!

Jason
Jeeps came equipped with Aisin transmissions from 1989 to 2001+/- basically a Toyota trans as they had it first.

You got the Toyota hib?

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #16 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post

Jason
I'm not. I'm using a transmission and very much hacked up t-case from a Geo Tracker.

1988 - Suzuki Samurai with a VW 1.6 turbo diesel, twin cases, SOA lift, YJ springs, onboard welder, and more

Hers:
2005 - Jeep Liberty CRD. APS converter, transgo shift kit, glasspack muffler, Diablo Power puck 27+ mpg
post #17 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Jeeps came equipped with Aisin transmissions from 1989 to 2001+/- basically a Toyota trans as they had it first.

You got the Toyota hib?
I have the 42rle and I like the NSG370 and the 545RFE transmissions

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #18 of 32 Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Use the stock ECU for all the crap like ABS, Gauges, Security system etc. Then a standalone ECU for the engine's ignition system. You should have no problems at all.
post #19 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadpr View Post
Use the stock ECU for all the crap like ABS, Gauges, Security system etc. Then a standalone ECU for the engine's ignition system. You should have no problems at all.
Yeah it's just that simple.

Hers:
post #20 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy View Post
Yeah it's just that simple.
For some of us it is!
post #21 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have been in contact with H&M motorsports for their TDI conversion. My issue is if its costs the same as a V8 to do a diesel then the v8 will ultimately be better for me since I am not 100% exited on converting my Jeep to a stick.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #22 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
For some of us it is!
Have you done it? Of the few that have tried here in the states, many have found that all the dash functions do not work. (Speedo and Tach issues specifically)

Hers:
post #23 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

If you did do it, maybe these guys can help with the gauges?
www.redlinegaugeworks.com

I would assume though you would still need to lose ABS, Air Bags, so on....

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #24 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy View Post
Have you done it? Of the few that have tried here in the states, many have found that all the dash functions do not work. (Speedo and Tach issues specifically)
No, I really haven't done it! but I am doing a lot of research on the matter because I am custom super charging mine among other things . Obviously for Diesel is not as simple as just changing the ECU. there is the fuel lines, pumps and lots more. As for the people that Failed in the US. Well many will fail until somebody gets it right. Also know that not everybody post there projects online. A lot of older people are not internet savvies but have the knowledge and experience to do lots.
post #25 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
No, I really haven't done it! but I am doing a lot of research on the matter because I am custom super charging mine among other things . Obviously for Diesel is not as simple as just changing the ECU. there is the fuel lines, pumps and lots more. As for the people that Failed in the US. Well many will fail until somebody gets it right. Also know that not everybody post there projects online. A lot of older people are not internet savvies but have the knowledge and experience to do lots.
The CRD libbys bastard setup of separate controllers for all aspects with no true master is what makes it somewhat impossible to interface it with a jeeps control system. If my memory serves, the problem with the speedo was the data type not being standard when it arrived to the dash. Perhaps someone could make a stand alone translator to overcome it though. I haven't researched much more into it.

As to the fuel system. It's not as complicated as you'd think due to the 2.8's CP3 pump. The 2.8 is a common rail system that doesn't use a typical injection pump found on older diesels. The CP3 can pull fuel on it's own. The libby's fuel system is the same as the gassers (for the most part except for the engine bay. It's only a hose line that dumps into the fuel filter assembly). The main exception being the LACK of a fuel pump in the tank. The filter assembly has a priming pump for filter replacements. So basically when you drop the filter, you pump the manual pump until the filter is full again.

The big hurdles in the swap are more electronic and software related IMO.

I wouldn't mind sourcing a complete harness, controls modules, and cluster from a UK jeep. Then just pick up a 2.8 from a donor libby stateside....

Hers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode