Tire Wear Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000
Tire Wear Question

No matter what, I have to get new tires with my Christmas bonus.. Not sure what tires to get.. Looked at a lot of them.. Since money is tight, I am going to keep my stock rims this time around.. Going to just bedline them black..

Anyways, since I don't off road as much as I would like, I am thinking of going with AT or AT style tires.. The one set I have been looking at are the GY Wrangler Duratrac... If you are running them, how are they wearing? And how many miles have you put on them?

Thanks,

Ben

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Check out Nitto Terra grapplers they are also great tires.

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoffroad View Post
Check out Nitto Terra grapplers they are also great tires.
Trail Grapplers are also a good choice from Nitto, a little louder but will do pretty good offroad.

Thunder Motorsports, Inc
828.252.8550 - Coker - Owner
Teraflex, Rough Country, Poison Spyder, SmittyBilt, Superwinch, Bushwacker, Powertank, Nitto, Falken, BFG and many more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cool.. I will check them both out..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i just put a set of 285-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Rubicon... i neutered my jeep...

bought them right before a road trip to OBX. excellent road manners. NO noise at all. grip is excellent. wet raction is excellent. drove on the north OBX beaches at Corolla and Carova. great flotation. only chattered when throttled super hard. kept em at highway pressure, too. treadwear rating is a 500, so i suspect them to last a while.

on the road trip, we got into rain of varying rates. standing water proved no trouble. i intentionally (stupidly) eased into a few larger puddles at road speeds and felt the obvious drag, but no hydroplaning and no snatching. tracked straight. lane changes were a little better than the oem m/t's....

on a side note. i once bought a set of used BFG A/Ts... put them on my ZJ and ran them for two years, which included a trip to Moab hauling a camper. that was the best $125 (m&b for the set) i ever spent.

with a baby due in Dec, we had to get tires with predictable handling for the wife and baby. the wife has a Challenger, so at least in the first few months, she'll probably be driving the 4dr.

at roughly $200 a tire, it was nearly the most economical tire choice with a highly reputable name. i like the lightning bolt look on the edge of sidewall... wish it was a liiiitle more prominent.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #6 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

I was looking at the Duratracs for a street tire and was pushed towards the wranglers with silent armor. Good riding tire!
post #7 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Falken just released thier new AT. Wildpeaks I think its called. Few guys used them on the JK Experience this year. Seemed to do quite well for an AT. Worth a look.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
Falken just released thier new AT. Wildpeaks I think its called. Few guys used them on the JK Experience this year. Seemed to do quite well for an AT. Worth a look.
Hmmm.. They only make one that is 33ins.. Been looking at the General Grabber AT2 tires.. They are basically a AT KO cloan but about 50 bucks cheaper.. And the reviews are positive on wear and quality..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
post #9 of 15 Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well.. The wife likes the idea of an AT tire but is worried about traction off road.. Got to love a Jeep woman.. So we both decided to get dual tires.. Get the AT tires this year with my bonus and then get a set of Mud tires with next years bonus.. Get 5 AT tires and get 4 Mud tires and use the AT as a spare.. Then we just switch tires when we go wheeling..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
post #10 of 15 Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Granite Guru

in my mind nitto's look great but dont perform as well. i have been loving my BFG's Krawlers

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #11 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Wheeler

Love my Duratracs. Have only put about 3k miles on them since Feb, but they are great offroad and onroad in all conditions. Not sure if it's still going on but treadlightly had a $100 rebate when I got mine. Trail Grapplers are good looking tires, but $$$. I'm looking at Kelley Fierce attitude tires for the JK.

Dirty Mudder on FB

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
post #12 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
I am a Falken dealer and I cannot wait to get a set of the 35's. They have been a little tough to get as of now. There is a thread on here with the 37's and they look like they go pretty good in the mud and clean pretty well. The Wild Peak AT also comes with a 30 day ride guarantee and a 50K warranty. So if you can get them ride on them and for some reason you dont like them return them in less than 30 days and get something else.

Thunder Motorsports, Inc
828.252.8550 - Coker - Owner
Teraflex, Rough Country, Poison Spyder, SmittyBilt, Superwinch, Bushwacker, Powertank, Nitto, Falken, BFG and many more

post #13 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE NEW DICK CEPEK FC2'S. SUPER QUIET AND LOOKS AWESOME.

2009 2dr, surf blue
lift, 35's, and other stuff.

"Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon"
post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Ben,
I have about 35K on my Maxxix Bighorns, with an easy 10K+ left on them.
For a mud tire id say thas pretty good. And they are fairly cheap.
Im running 34's and they were 1000 out the door mounted and balanced.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #15 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Ben,
I have about 35K on my Maxxix Bighorns, with an easy 10K+ left on them.
For a mud tire id say thas pretty good. And they are fairly cheap.
Im running 34's and they were 1000 out the door mounted and balanced.
by far one of my favorite tires. they were awesome

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode