“C” gussets???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SilverBulletJKU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

“C” gussets????

This sounds like an inexpensive but important “upgrade”.

Although I’m seeing many brands, I’m really only seeing 2 distinct “styles”.

1) solid plate steel

2) bent sheet steel

I’m not necessarily asking about “brand names” but I would love to hear opinions and experiences with each style.

As always, any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:{)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The first style, as made by Teraflex, Rock Krawler etc... definitely do the job. With these you don't have to remove the ball joints when welding them on, makes for a much easier/quicker process. I personally run the RK versions.

The other style, Artec, Synergy etc... is definitely stronger when it comes to the lateral stability of the inner c. Although 99% of the inner c failures happen when the c gets spread open straight up. They'll both do the job, it's just a matter of if you want to remove the ball joints/weld extremely slowly to keep the joints cool.
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #3 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

“C” gussets????

I’ve gone and watched the YouTube.

Can a good welder actually do this without burning up the seals and Ball joints?

I saw a couple guys do it without disassembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
I’ve gone and watched the YouTube.

Can a good welder actually do this without burning up the seals and Ball joints?

I saw a couple guys do it without disassembly.
I've done it without burning up the ball joints.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Rock God

Actually a really bad welder can probably do it the best because they'll have to stop a lot since they can't keep the weld going!

More seriously, lots of people are successful in welding them with ball joints in, but also a lot of people do cook their joints or reduce the joint's life. Also worth considering that some of the people who report success might have wrecked the joints internally but not really know it the day they did the job and then post a success story.

I personally would not weld C-gussets on with the ball joints in, especially the second style. Maybe if they're OEM joints that you plan to just upgrade if you wreck them, but certainly would remove any expensive joints you don't want to destroy (for example, welding in gussets next to a Pro-Steer ball joint would be a really poor decision in my opinion)

If you're still running OEM ball joints, it's a convenient time to upgrade.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I waited until by balljoints were shot, then sleeved and did C- gussets at the same time, I used the second pic style,
Forgot who makes them, Haven't bent them yet, running 37" Treps Dana 44. I did bend my stock flanges in the rear, then went with 10 Factory rear axles, they've been in for 3 years, so far,so good.

08'Rubicon, 37" Radial Trepadors, DIY beadlocks,10 Factory rear axles,RCV front shafts,Sleeved front,C-gussets,5.38's,OBA,highlift,Warn,
PSC fenders,corners,rocker knocker, BFH rear, Warn front, Classic Cobra 29,Carpet delete, hurculinered tub.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

as mentioned, some guys have both styles burned on . I run the TeraFlex upper c and changed BJs at same time. May as well do them together unless you’ve already got better than OEM BJs installed in which case I’ve seen guys keep a bucket of cold water and a couple of heavy towels saturated in it for fully setting the soaked rag on the top bj , weld a inch , go to other side , weld an inch with saturated rag on top , go to other side, redunk the rag and place it, weld another inch, etc until done. It’s not monotonous and a pita at all, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Wheeler

I used Artec gussets. Did notch them out ever so slightly with a grinder so my springs seated perfectly again. I had the whole axle out and stripped to do a number of other things.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Granite Guru

the proper way is to wait till you need new ball joints. then order ball joint and put them into the freezer. Weld up the C's and with the material still hot from the welding you drop in the frozen joints.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Rock God

i have the top style C-guessets. i took my time with the welding and wrapped the balljoints with a wet towel. I then put another 50K miles on before the lower balljoints wore out. Im running 35" tires

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode