Lift Suggestions Needed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exclamation Lift Suggestions Needed

Ok, I have a 2016 Jeep Unlimited with modified D44's (Sleeved, 4.88, c-gussets) running 37" tires. Currently I have a Metalcloak 4.5" lift kit with the original "short arms". My Jeep is 90% offroad and is not a daily driver and primarily used in SE rock crawling and mud (I hate mud and don't "Bog" it).

My question is I am about to upgrade to some long arms and have narrowed my choices down to two brands and wanted some real world honest opinions.

my choices are:

1.) Teraflex LCG arms
2.) Clayton Long Arms (Radius)

I have used the Teraflex LCG kit in the past on my 07 build (
) and was very happy with the ride quality and performance. My only complaint was the rear arms mounting point on the frame hangs really low and caught ledges, etc. Nemisis offroad makes a skid system to address this very issue.

Clayton Long arms I know nothing about and really don't hear much about this setup. I Know the XJ guys use it a lot and it seems very strong as it uses large square tubing. The rear arms seem to provide much better ground clearance over the Teraflex kit. I have mixed feelings about the radius setup in the front, I have heard it binds but is that really that big of an issue?

Here are some videos of the typical wheeling we do:

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I have run TF long arms for ten years now. Never had an issue. The Metal Cloak is a great kit as well. (Installed for a customer) but they don't offer a long arm kit.

Teraflex customer service has always treated me very well.

Just my opinion.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
I have run TF long arms for ten years now. Never had an issue. The Metal Cloak is a great kit as well. (Installed for a customer) but they don't offer a long arm kit.

Just my opinion.
I appreciate the feedback! I enjoyed my teraflex a great deal on the 07 and it worked really, really good!

Metalcloak actually does offer a long arm kit now (they have two versions). The issue I have with the metalcloak is the rear is still just a short arm with some goofball drop bracket to try and achieve the same angles of a long arm. They offer a radius setup with the "lock-n-load" setup as well as an actual 4-link setup.

I like the front arms, but the rear is not something I am willing to run...

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post

Just my opinion.
I just purchased the new Metalcloak front long arm kit. I'm going to just run the Metalcloak rear short arms for now; I didn't care for the big drop brackets either.

When I saw the Metalcloak radius arms, I immediately imagined mud and small rocks getting in those spring assemblies and quickly ruining them.

Definitely looking forward to replacing my old stock clevite bushings for the flexy Metalcloak.

Last edited by rockystock; 02-08-2018 at 10:10 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update, it looks like Clayton now offers the duroflex joints in their arms. Well, thatís not what they call them but they look similar to MC

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/giiro_bushing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2018, 05:48 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I have been running the clayton 3.5 mid arm for 9 years now. I have only had to replace 2 JJ's in that whole time. All we have is rocks here. There stuff is stout to say the least.

Attached Images

Marine01 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2018, 06:17 AM
Rock God

Have you looked at the synergy set up ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Nobody really makes a great long arm. You are best to just buy the brackets you need and build your own. The teraflex uses a short upper arm that is going to create pinion angle issues pushing the pinion down as you droop. Most front long arms are only a little longer then factory because of limited bracket placement room with the exhaust and the bend in the frame sections.

The metal Cloak long arm front uses the lock and load (we will be installing one of these on an LJ in a month or so) that has an upper link that can be unlocked so it flexes and eliminates the binding issues from the radial design. Bind is also going to depend on the amount of shock travel and up/down ratio.

If you are looking at increasing the off road capability of your jeep for the trails you are running I doubt you are going to be happy with a kit as most will not change the location of the axle brackets and tend to hang the lowers down where they catch on rocks. You could simply do some new brackets and increase your clearance with the metal cloak arms you have or build new arms an use the metal cloak joint you already have in the new arms.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode