Teraflex 3" or Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Teraflex 3" or Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift?

Alright, need help. I have an Unlimited Rubicon and want to run 35's. I have narrowed my search down to two lifts:

Teraflex 3" or Rubicon Express 3.5" basic kits. I want to start with the basic kits with shocks/springs and then go back later and change control arms, etc.

Buddy just got Teraflex 3" on 2 door JK Rubicon and it looks great with 35" tires. He got more than 3" out of this setup. How much less should I expect with this same lift on my Unlimited Rubicon (since kit uses same springs)?

I think the RE lift will sit higher but have more friends that have had very good luck with the Teraflex lifts.

Any advice?

2010 Unlimited Rubicon, 3" Teraflex, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, ATX Crawl rims, Poison Spyder Rico steps and Brawler Lite front bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Granite Guru

What do you do with the JK mostly, or should I say plan to do with the JK once the larger tires are on it?

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Daily driver that will be used 95% on the road but want an upgradeable lift for in the future.

2010 Unlimited Rubicon, 3" Teraflex, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, ATX Crawl rims, Poison Spyder Rico steps and Brawler Lite front bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Granite Guru

Have you taken a look at what we have to offer in the way of our JK Synergy Suspension? It is a no compromise system with little waste so you can continue to add on, without throwing components away.

You can check it out here: Synergy Suspension Link

I think the 3" system with the Synergy shocks would serve you very well.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Granite Guru

Bang for the buck I think it's really hard to beat the RE 3.5" basic kit. We're running it on our JK with 35s and it's worked out great. What I like about the RE kit is you really get everything you need for that amount of lift without any extras, and it uses an axle-mounted rear trackbar bracket, not a frame drop, so you maintain proper roll geometry (ie: better road handling).

It will run a bit tall, even on an Unlimited Rubicon. You could easily fit 37s with the requisite fender trimming or aftermarket flares. You can check out my install photo album here: http://jeepin.com/fotos/JK/re-lift

The Tera kit is good also though, and both it and the RE kit are easily upgradeable in the future.

Directly comparing those two kits, they both use axle-mounted rear trackbar brackets. They both come with extended rear swaybar endlinks. The Tera kit comes with front quick disconnects which you don't need on a Rubicon (on the RE kit you reuse your stock rear endlinks up front). The Tera kit comes with extended length brakelines vs relocation brackets that RE uses. RE's kit comes with an adjustable front trackbar that you don't get in the Tera kit though. The RE kit also comes with front and rear cam bolts for caster and pinion angle adjustment, but I never ended up installing either set on our JK (the whole cam bolt thing gets mixed reviews anyway).

You really can't go wrong with either kit, but my money went on the RE kit.

Jason West -
|

'16 JKUR HardRock, Granite Crystal, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37s, the new project
'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.
'95 XJ lifted and locked on 35s.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Okay, good advice, definitely want one of these two companies. What about the 4" Teraflex kit? Can you run it on an Unlimited Rubicon without driveline modifications? I didn't think that you could but saw on another site that you could on the Unlimited. I just don't want to do my lift and then wish I had the extra height when parking next to my friend's Jeep.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Between the 2 that you mentioned - TeraFlex all the way. RE is nowhere in the JK world (good product not not many installed). But for the record I'd say check out the Rock Krawler systems. Link below. Quality and support is off the scale

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 09-20-2010 at 10:44 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
Okay, good advice, definitely want one of these two companies. What about the 4" Teraflex kit? Can you run it on an Unlimited Rubicon without driveline modifications? I didn't think that you could but saw on another site that you could on the Unlimited. I just don't want to do my lift and then wish I had the extra height when parking next to my friend's Jeep.
With either kit you could always add spacers if you decided that you wanted more height later on. Here's what our JK looks like with the RE 3.5" kit and some 35" KM2s:

I recently swapped the hardtop for a soft top and the back end gained probably 1/2"+ in height (enough that I can feel my seat is at a slightly different angle now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Between the 2 that you mentioned - TeraFlex all the way. RE is nowhere in the JK world (good product not not many installed).
Very true. RE has been huge in the XJ and TJ world, but for some reason hasn't seemed to hit it big with the JK crowd. Tera's definitely the more popular brand of the two here.

Jason West -
|

'16 JKUR HardRock, Granite Crystal, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37s, the new project
'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.
'95 XJ lifted and locked on 35s.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Granite Guru

i really like my RE 3.5" kit. it is my DD but i also use it offroad. I have the bilstein 5100 on it and it rides great.
Attached Images

3.5" Rubicon Express lift
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper
Flowmaster 40 Series
48" Hi-Lift Jack
KC Slimlights long range
Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets
MasterCraft Grab Handles
post #10 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

Poly Performance or Rock Krawler.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

We sell and install Teraflex, and have had excellent service and fit with them. Their kits come with new sway bar drops, and new bump stop extensions and all the hardware. We have also had excellent after the sale service from the guys and gals at Teraflex. I really think that they (TF) are on top of the game for the JK market, they may not be the best, but for the price its one heck of a good option in the suspension game. Sure there are ones that may do better and ones that may do worse but after installing over 25 lifts on JK's with Teraflex and some other companys, I installed a Teraflex on mine back in the beginning and have not changed it yet. If you had a TJ or XJ I may be so inclined to try to give you some other options, but I think Teraflex is a good product for a JK.

Thunder Motorsports, Inc
828.252.8550 - Coker - Owner
Teraflex, Rough Country, Poison Spyder, SmittyBilt, Superwinch, Bushwacker, Powertank, Nitto, Falken, BFG and many more

post #12 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Wheeler

lift

poly or rock krawler!!! just installed rock krawler 2.5" with 35"s no problem!!
got about 3'' on rear and 3.5 in the front.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Granite Guru

if you decide on the RE 3.5 lift let me know, mine is being taken off right now and a Rock Krawler 5.5 is going on. Ill sell it to you cheep. Name your price. I had 37"s on it with flat fenders...

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #14 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

The TF 3" & 4" lifts are all around fine suspensions, with an upgrade path that seems to work. All that said, there are a couple problems:

o Stock rear track bar interferes with RR spring. Fix with RKs or Polys urethane rear spring wedges and/or Tera's adjustable rear bar. I did both.

o TF doesn't include steeing correction and bump steer was objectionable to me. I ended up adding Polys steering correction kit, which raises and reinforces the axle track bar mount and flips the drag link.

o TF supplies their "Monster" front track bar, which is way stout, but will hit the transmission cooler lines on full right front compression. I replaced it with Poly's adjustable front track bar.

o LF spring interferes with end of front sway bar. Caused by TFs offset upper spring seating coil, which tips left front spring forward, right front spring rearward. This is a tough one to fix, see below

o Sway bar links. Rears can hit rear brake hardlines on compression. Front left can hit LF spring, along with the end of the sway bar. I fixed both of these issues by throwing the TF links away and installing Poly's links. I adjusted the Poly front links up a bit, enough to provide sway bar to spring clearance. The Poly links have less bushing compression than the TF links and tighten handling up noticeable. No more issues

o Brake lines. Tera's simply aren't appropriate for JK calipers. Excessively long and vulnerable to snags, etc. I tossed them and use Poly's lines. Curries are good, too.

All that aside, I initially installed TF's full flex arm 4" kit with 3" springs & 35s. As predicted, by the end of the first season I wanted more, so it got 4" springs, which are MUCH better with this kit, and 37s, which work much better than 35s on an UL. It works great, is very stable & smooth on the highway and wheels like crazy on the trail.

Last edited by SoK66; 09-21-2010 at 10:38 AM.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Well... I would recommend the RE kit,

Our Rubicon Express kit is, as said above by JeepinOutfitters:
Bang for the buck I think it's really hard to beat the RE 3.5" basic kit (RE7142 standard). We're running it on our JK with 35s and it's worked out great. What I like about the RE kit is you really get everything you need for that amount of lift without any extras, and it uses an axle-mounted rear trackbar bracket, not a frame drop, so you maintain proper roll geometry (ie: better road handling).

The cost of the standard suspension is quite affordable and it will get you enough lift to fit 35's with no problem; we have a JK with 37's stuffed underneath but even with the proper bump stops it will still rub the factory front bumper. The RE standard kit is a stripped down superflex kit... no control arms, brake lines, discos, etc. RE offers all of these components separately so you can build your Jeep up as your funds/desire dictates. Of course I would urge you to get an RE kit but you canít loose between the companies that you are trying to choose between; TF makes a quality product just as RE does. Good luck in your decision making.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Teraflex if you had to choose! Rubicon Express is the devil and did not stand behind their product or service with me.

Why haven't you given Rock Krawler a thought?

post #17 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Have you taken a look at what we have to offer in the way of our JK Synergy Suspension? It is a no compromise system with little waste so you can continue to add on, without throwing components away.

You can check it out here: Synergy Suspension Link

I think the 3" system with the Synergy shocks would serve you very well.

Yeah you can't go wrong with Poly stuff either!

post #18 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM

p.s. I wasn't meannig to say that Poly or Rock C is not a good product in my previous post; they make good stuff too. Just some input on the specific question BCJC was asking.

I narrowed my search down to two lifts:
Teraflex 3" or Rubicon Express 3.5"
post #19 of 21 Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Wheeler

I'd be interested in buying your old lift. Just bought a 07 unlimited that needs its first mod!
post #20 of 21 Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

We run Teraflex on all of our Jeeps and have had great luck. Eithor way I am sure you will be happy. Another option instead of a lift as a first step you could chang out your flares and be able to run 35"s with no lift then decide further down the road what your exact needs are so you dont have to spend money twice.

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #21 of 21 Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I swallowed the hook at the other forum and started wuith teraflex, had a severe lean, over 1 and 5/8"s and went through hell getting rectified event to the point of getting banned over there for being pc stating I was having issues with tf. (i had to buy new springs, send them the old then get reimbursed minus shipping) After the lean was fixed the rear swaybar links were wallowed out where the bushing goes into the round machined part. Teraflex sent new "updated" ones that were covered in rust within 6 days of install. I think tf may have been the shit a few years ago but I think the allmighty dollar has caused quality to drop to profit.

I have been replacing parts with poly performance and there is a night and day difference in quality on every aspect and have had no issues with anything from them. Re had some issues in the past with bushings that ran people off, along with jk-f bashing the shit out of them to pimp teraflex even more. I would look at poly or rock krawler, everyone raves over both of them and are always quick to respond to questions and so on. Good luck!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode