Steering Assist Fluid - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering Assist Fluid

In another post regarding problems with a Redneck Ram Assist, there was a discussion regarding the correct fluid to use. I'm installing a PSC kit which includes their modified box. Appearantly, Chrysler uses ATF +4, while PSC says to use ONLY Power Steering fluid. Do I need to flush the balance of my system, or should I just fill and bleed with PS fluid? If needed, how do I flush the system?

97 ZJ 5.2, Atlas, hp30, 8.8, alloys, locked F&R, Clayton LA lift, 35" KM2's
97 TJ 110" WB, Atlas, 350 chevy, D60, 14B, 42" Pit Bulls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Rock God

What does your psc kit includes , ram, new or old ported box and a pump with new reservoir and new hoses

Just use royal purple ps oil and stick with it. If you have the psc kit you dont need to flush anything
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Slow and Low

If you're installing a full system, including the pump, reservoir, box, and ram there should nothing to bleed, since all of the components are new and clean.
Just fill it with a high quality Power Steering Fluid (Royal Purple) and bleed the air out.
I honestly think that the ATF+4 is a Mopar Pump thing. I would disregard the other discussion as it doesn't apply to your application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I started out with their new economy kit, which a modified tower that I was to exchange for the tower on my stock box. The tower is the block on the steering box that has the hydraulic lines feeding into. The modified block has the extra ports for the cylinder. The balance of the kit included the cylinder, weld tabs, hoses and fittings. The price was $425. Similar to The Redneck kit, but I didn't have to send my box in to be modified and be down 2 weeks. The problem came when I tried to remove the stock tower/block. Chrysler changed suppliers for the 2010 models and the tower is different than the 2007-2009 models. PSC was not aware of this, so to remedy the problem, they gave me a rebuilt modified older box for a great price. Soooo, I still have the stock pump with ATF +4 in it, but PSCs steering box and cylinder. Mine is probably the same situation as the Redneck one I refered to.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Slow and Low

It's up to you. A lot of opinions and claims on this topic.
But as long as I'm running and OEM Mopar pump, I'll keep running ATF+4 because it has worked flawlessly for myself and many and others, while others are jamming up Mopar pumps using PSF.

If I ever upgrade to a PSC pump, I will completely drain and flush the system and switch to Royal Purple PSF.

The steering gearbox and ram cylinders are pretty much the standard designs that have been around forever, so I don't think that they are as sensitive to fluid types as the newer pumps seem to be.
Just my thoughts.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Rock God

Thats correct if using stock power steering pump definately stick to atf4 if using psc high flow pump stick to royal purple.

Co4Lo do you have auto or manual. What is ur setup? Stock pump ported or standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
It's up to you. A lot of opinions and claims on this topic.
But as long as I'm running and OEM Mopar pump, I'll keep running ATF+4 because it has worked flawlessly for myself and many and others, while others are jamming up Mopar pumps using PSF.

If I ever upgrade to a PSC pump, I will completely drain and flush the system and switch to Royal Purple PSF.

The steering gearbox and ram cylinders are pretty much the standard designs that have been around forever, so I don't think that they are as sensitive to fluid types as the newer pumps seem to be.
Just my thoughts.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm planning on sticking with ATF+4 for mine....
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OK, here's the straight poop from the dealer computer. "The recommended fluid for power steering in the 2010 Wrangler is Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4, but if unavailable, ATF+4 will work." According to a different dealer, the specs for the 2 are identical, but the Mopar fluid, which is clear color, costs over twice as much as ATF+4. I just topped off with the latter and thoroughly bled the system. When the level stayed and the bubbles quit, I started it up and all is well. Works great. Moab, here we come. (In a month)

post #9 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
OK, here's the straight poop from the dealer computer. "The recommended fluid for power steering in the 2010 Wrangler is Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4, but if unavailable, ATF+4 will work." According to a different dealer, the specs for the 2 are identical, but the Mopar fluid, which is clear color, costs over twice as much as ATF+4.
Kind of lends to my thought.... Chrysler was trying to save a buck using ATF. I wonder if the additives in ATF are causing them issues (as everyone else seems to think it will (i.e. PSC, WTO, the internet in general)).

Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode