Gear set material. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Gear set material.

I am trying to help a friend out and am looking for the most durable gear-set out there for a 44 axle. My research shows that 9310 steel is pretty much up there as far as this is concerned. The only problem is between all of the various manufacturers I cant find any in this material. All I am seeing is 8620. Any idea if JK gears even exist in 9310?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Random Dude

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be more concerned with the validity of the material certifications and with the process control at the manufacturer (heat treat, machining, grinding, etc.).

If you do find someone selling gears made from your chosen alloy, just make sure they didn't pencil-whip a "Alloy 9310" material certification while actually selling you shit gears made from melted down Yugo bumper brackets.

Hint: the cert. should say something like

"Chemical Analysis per ASTM XXXX . . ."
NOT
"Deese are bestest Steel Metal of 9310 Alloys with most happy strongness and supreme durables . . ."

Not saying you shouldn't pursue a given material, just saying "trust, but verify" - mostly verify.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
I am trying to help a friend out and am looking for the most durable gear-set out there for a 44 axle. My research shows that 9310 steel is pretty much up there as far as this is concerned. The only problem is between all of the various manufacturers I cant find any in this material. All I am seeing is 8620. Any idea if JK gears even exist in 9310?
i dunno as much as you about the material but I can tell you that Revolution Gear and Axle has both Koyo & Timken gears for Jeeps and they are straight-up , honest people that would probably be able to tell you all manner of details on material and strength , etc were you to contact them and ask. They answer all manner of questions for me & had I know that, I may have steered towards their gears but I had not experienced them at the time I upgraded lockers and R&Ps so Marcus at RCO set me up with ha great deal on Yukon R&Ps that I had cryo treated and I wring the crap out of them. ( edit: to underline that; I just had Revolution warranty-replace both rear 4340 chromo axle-shafts which I bent this past fall .Nothing as far as the R&P nor lockers nor DS's nor transferfercase (braced) felt victim to any of the impacts.
The shafts bent just before midlength, not the flanges. you'd normally think the R&Ps would grenade being my point. )

maybe reach-out to them , as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

sorry. that first sentence had some freakin' run-on to it, didn't it? sheez...

post #5 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
( edit: to underline that; I just had Revolution warranty-replace both rear 4340 chromo axle-shafts which I bent this past fall .Nothing as far as the R&P nor lockers nor DS's nor transferfercase (braced) felt victim to any of the impacts.
The shafts bent just before midlength, not the flanges. you'd normally think the R&Ps would grenade being my point. )

Semi-float design can still bend the middle of the axle shaft. Don't think you bent that from torque. You'd snap a shaft long before you bent it from torque.

Here's a drawing showing the forces on a semi-float axle. Force F1 is equal to F2 in the drawing (at least approximately, this would be true for infinitely thin bearings). The green line shows what your axle-noodle looks like when under vertical load from the vehicle weight or an impact on the tire (obviously way over-exaggerated).

You would not have bent that if it was full float, almost guaranteed. Says nothing about R&P strength and everything about how crappy a semi-float axle design is for off-road abuse.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2018, 08:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If I remember correctly, 9310 is used for drag racing gear sets and not for street use. Great for high impacts, but they don't last long.

Kevin
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

This may help.

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/N...Ni-Cr-Mo-Steel

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Semi-float design can still bend the middle of the axle shaft. Don't think you bent that from torque. You'd snap a shaft long before you bent it from torque.

Here's a drawing showing the forces on a semi-float axle. Force F1 is equal to F2 in the drawing (at least approximately, this would be true for infinitely thin bearings). The green line shows what your axle-noodle looks like when under vertical load from the vehicle weight or an impact on the tire (obviously way over-exaggerated).

You would not have bent that if it was full float, almost guaranteed. Says nothing about R&P strength and everything about how crappy a semi-float axle design is for off-road abuse.

no, I didn’t think it was otherworldly torque that did it ; it was impact all the way but some of that impact I’d have thought would have set some directional energy to the r&p / locker that was of a type or in a way that it would be broken because of. ( edit: I looked over the shafts really well after rev replaced them and just couldn’t believe that something that well designed and stout was bendable but with how you’ve just detailed the energies that are the shortcomings of semi float design bring to the table ) what I was misunderstanding . That was a good explanation. it totally makes sense .
Yeah, you’re right, the OEM axle housings and setup suck compared to full float.

That’s a lot of force but I guess oversize tires on too small semi floats and this is what happens

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

like @RubiCajun provided ( that link is awesome, dude), here is something I had bookmarked and which page 43 , but in particular page(s) 48 - 49 might be useful for OP research. It’s free to read, too.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-04-2018 at 07:16 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Good info, nobody makes a thick cut set for a JK though. We've looked everywhere
post #11 of 14 Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Good info, nobody makes a thick cut set for a JK though. We've looked everywhere
I bet you found a lot of 9310 gear sets for Ford 9" though.

Don't forget about benefits from shot peening, Cryo treating and REM polishing.

Kevin
post #12 of 14 Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

Yah, found a nutty guy who sounds totally off his rocker out in AZ who will do it all to any gearset for $550. He wants the bearings and attachment bolts as well to do.

After 30 seconds of technical jargon about how he do what he do I glossed over just said ok every brief pause in conversation. It was exactly like talking to Howe and you realize the guy is a master at what he does and you dont need to understand it because there is no doubt he does.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yah, found a nutty guy who sounds totally off his rocker out in AZ who will do it all to any gearset for $550. He wants the bearings and attachment bolts as well to do.

After 30 seconds of technical jargon about how he do what he do I glossed over just said ok every brief pause in conversation. It was exactly like talking to Howe and you realize the guy is a master at what he does and you dont need to understand it because there is no doubt he does.
Ya, if he's asking for the bearings and bolts, he most definitely "understands" the benefits. He sounds like one of the "just call me when you're done" kind of guys. I love them.

Kevin
post #14 of 14 Old 02-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

Cryyyy-oooo....
sílike frozen, metal donuts....gllgggg....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode