Project Rescue Rubicon a 4dr JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Project Rescue Rubicon a 4dr JK

A "little" something we've been working on. "little" being a relative term... You can't really call a JK with a HEMI, 60's and 41" IROKs little...

Pat (shown above driving in Moab) and some other JK's took a mid week break a couple of weeks ago and headed off to run Wheeler Lake, Holy Cross and then Blanca. Well we didn't get that far...

While on Wheeler Lake trail he noticed some strange noise from the rear axle area. First look saw the shock making contact with the trackbar mount. A short trail repair ensued and all was good, or not. A little farther down the trail Pat was out and under the Jeep again, same noise, same problem. Then we started looking a little closer and found this:

Which resulted in this to get it off the trail:

Notice that the upper mount completely failed in the above picture...

After getting the Jeep down, we left it to be rescued by my wife and son with our truck and trailer.

Once at the shop we found repairing the Brand X suspension was not in Pat's play book and it was decided to install our RockTek long arm upgrade for further testing.

Tight fit, and yes that's a 10k extra wide lift...

We found the frame ripped out caused by the upper mounts failing.
PSide:

DSide:

Pat sent it up here to be fixed and to get some things addressed that have not been working correctly. First and foremost is the height. This thing is truely HUGE! It has the Offroad Evolution double throwdown front coil over conversion that also has tripple bypass King shocks. It also has a Currie Anti-Rock front and rear sway bar setup. The front is NOT enough swaybar for this beast. Pat reports it tips the scales at 7300lbs...

We're going to lower it by reworking the EVO mounts, install a set of KING air bumps (it had no front bumpstops...), remove the 1" body lift, toss the current skidplating in favor of our 6061-T6 AL skids, swap the Poison Spyder front bumper (holy cow is that thing heavy) for an HD Customs AL EDGE bumper and a bunch of small changes and repairs. Stay tuned as we get this thing back closer to terra firma and turn it into a rock scaling machine!

Bob

I build stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

WOW

first ive seen this happen thats crazy.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Rock God

You're the second JK I've seen that has the control arm mounts ripping off the frame. Another thing to look at after every wheeling event.

If she really is that heavy, which I doubt, you better start stripping her down. I do everything in my power to get my 2DR as light as possible.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Posted over on CO4x4 where I saw this first. IIRC Tera's had some issues with this and has reinforced this area on their later LA kits.

The JK UL starts off with some weight issues and it seems all the vendors just kept piling the weight on regardless. By the time one adds some bumpers, winch, reasonable wheels and tires and a skid system the poor thing is ready for Jenny Craig. Glad to see vendors starting to acknowledge this and working the weight down. Kep us posted on how this one goes!
post #5 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Ouch! Looking forward to seeing what you guys end up with!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!

That's the 3rd one I've seen post with a TF LA kit ripping the frame. Ouch.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
If she really is that heavy, which I doubt, you better start stripping her down.
Yes she is a big girl and the scales slip doesn't lie... We've got her on a strict diet and will be under 7K - how far under I don't know until we are done. I know we shead over a 100 lbs ditchn' the PSC bumper and our skid system is about 100lbs lighter than what was on it. So we're gettin there...

Bob

I build stuff...
post #8 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The JK UL starts off with some weight issues and it seems all the vendors just kept piling the weight on regardless. By the time one adds some bumpers, winch, reasonable wheels and tires and a skid system the poor thing is ready for Jenny Craig. Glad to see vendors starting to acknowledge this and working the weight down. Keep us posted on how this one goes!
That's one of the reasons I kept the plastic bumpers.
They bend, scratch and stuff but they're very light...
(and can be replaced for 50$...)

I think this crowd is ready for more aluminium parts...
And plastic!
post #9 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn that's ugly. Not the Jeep, the carnage.

7300 lbs is definitely a fat pig. How much more does the Hemi weigh than the 3.8? I bet that's a lot of the weight.

My PSC BFH bumper is very light compared to my old Red Rock Fab. I've still got a heavy ass Smittybuilt rear bumper on there though. I'm thinking about ditching that for something lighter and just throwing my spare tire on the trailer. Dem tires are the heaviest part.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
You're the second JK I've seen that has the control arm mounts ripping off the frame. Another thing to look at after every wheeling event.

If she really is that heavy, which I doubt, you better start stripping her down. I do everything in my power to get my 2DR as light as possible.
I couldn't agree more with the weight issue... iv been slowly chopping mine down, and now think that cool rock hard tire carrier is way to much lol. Also, that full spare is a metric ton... o what to do

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #11 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
...just throwing my spare tire on the trailer. Dem tires are the heaviest part.
Yes they are. Pat runs the 41" IROKs, "skulls" for wheels and has STAUNs for beadlocks. Takes 2 of us to lift them up on to the axle when the Jeep is up on the lift...

Bob

I build stuff...
post #12 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Damn!
post #13 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

teraflex needs to figure out a way to address this... i get it that it's the frame ripping apart, not the mount, but they need to tie that control arm mount in with something else. whether it sandwiches the frame or ties in somewhere else, i don't know... but that's just an all too common sight.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #14 of 29 Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
teraflex needs to figure out a way to address this... i get it that it's the frame ripping apart, not the mount, but they need to tie that control arm mount in with something else. whether it sandwiches the frame or ties in somewhere else, i don't know... but that's just an all too common sight.
I agree... scary stuff especially if you don't notice it and it lets go at speed.

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
post #15 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

More demolition work, removing the old lower control arm mounts...

All the brackets were removed from the DynaTrac rear axle and our mounts installed, starting with the truss and center upper link mount along with our lower coil spring mounts:

Our JKU rear suspension, by design, gives you the option to add one inch of wheel base stretch. This is done to add tire clearance at the back of the rocker panel.

Next up Mike is installing the chassis lower control arm mounts:

Next time we'll finish setting up the rear axle with our all-in-one lower control arm/shock mount and sway bar mount followed by the axle trackbar mount. Then it's time to heft that massive rear axle back in the Jeep

Bob

I build stuff...
post #16 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lower all-in-one mounts, which are auto locating on a stock JK D44. The small groove locates on the tab for the E-Brake, all you have to do is get the rotation right - which is easy, they go parallel to the ground or zero degrees. On Pat's DynaTrac monster we simply measured and duplicated stock spacing.

Next up is the roll center correcting trackbar mount. We've been running this suspension on our shop JK for well over a year now and this bracket makes it shine - a non binding 3 link doesn't hurt either. ;D Having the correct roll center is imperative to correct operation of the suspension. This bracket is pure beef with adjustable mounting for varying lift heights.

Ready to heft

I build stuff...
post #17 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Next up Mike continues with the chassis mounts, here he installs the center link mount.

This is a bolt-on bracket that attaches to all 3 gastank crossmembers.

Stay tuned as we complete assembly in the morning and start repairing the frame. Once that's complete we'll turn our attention to tuning and fixing a few other problems the Jeep has due to the previous suspension.

We're also going to install an ORO Sway-Loc front sway bar to get the road manners back in check. Next time you see Pat coming down the road/trail he be in full command of this beast.

Bob

I build stuff...
post #18 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Time to start on the front of Pat's Jeep. After close inspection we found some failures waiting to happen up there as well. The former suspension's control arm mounts were cracked and we found similar bushing issues as reported with the rear setup.

First order of business was to strip the front of the Jeep down so we have room to work

While were at it, we removed a bunch more dead weight and put it out in the scrap pile.

Seriously???

Silly Wabbit, 1/4"-20 bolts are for kit cars not real Jeeps. That little strap is all that was holding the gas tank skid and Tcase skid plate together

We'll be tuning Pat's skid plating up with our all new AL Modular Skid plate system. As heavy as Pat's little monster is he (the Jeep) needs all the help it can get. Our new AL skid system is CNC cut and Formed from .250" 6061-T651 Aluminum. Can you say rock proof and light weight? More on that later since that really is one of the last things to go on the Jeep when we wrap it up.

Since we are removing the current front suspension and installing our full system now, we're also going to remove this little gem.

Here Paul has the hot wrench going removing the existing trackbar bracket - including the stock bracket.

With our weld on bracket you can have piece of mind on the trail and highway - pure 1/4" plate beef!!! Another benefit is you can place it where it needs to be to avoid inteference with big diffs (D60's) and since you can place it where you like you could potentially slide it forward to make room for stretching the front diff forward...

I build stuff...
post #19 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Now that we have some prep work done, time to remove what's left of the existing front suspension.

We needed some help as the drivers side bracket was quickly failing under the weight of the ProRock...

The bracket is cracked and seperating right under that "C" clamp - leaving the lower control arm mount peeling off the frame. Better here in the shop than on the trail or worse yet on the highway...

Stay tuned as we move forward. We have some custom touches in store for Pat's Jeep.

Bob

I build stuff...
post #20 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

EVO upper mounts - cut apart and revamped:

There was no room in the double throw down upper mounts for the bump stops we are installing, also with lowering the ride height we needed to get the lower mount well lower which caused the coilover to interfere with the axle tube. By moving the bypass shock and coilover to the outside of the mount vs. the inside we got the coilover away from the axle tube and slid the lower mounts down thus reducing the ride height.

Lower mount:

This from the bottom shot also shows the axle trackbar bracket coming together...

In this picture you can see the finished product. You'll also notice we swapped the coilover and bypass mounting - the coilover is now in the rear of the setup and the bypass is up front. A couple of reasons, first and formost was clearance, secondly the bypass shock is an inch longer than the coilover and by mounting in this configuration we could get both the coilover and bypass to travel equally. Prior to this w good portion of the bypass shock was not being used.

Next up we started mockup of the ORO SwayLoc front swaybar. One thing Pat wanted was more driveability, the sway that was on this Jeep was not up to the task of controlling the beast.

First thing we found in the way was a portion of HD's skidplate - the offending pieces were removed and the ORO mounts installed:

Next up we found that the now front mounted bypass shocks resiviour was in the way so we decided to modify the ORO sway bay to shorten it slightly. This does 2 things - gets us the clearance we need and ups the rate of the torsion slightly.

The end will be cut off and finished on the belt sander as to give a better than new look.

I build stuff...
post #21 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Finished orientation of the bypass and coil over:

Next up we needed to add a pair of these:

Pat likes to go "fast" and using the big dollar bypass shocks and/or coil overs for bumpstops isn't a good idea...

Next up we revamped the steering system:

No more angle iron on the tie rod... We flipped the tierod and drag link to the tops of their respective connections, except for the pitman arm. We had an angle issue with the factory pitman arm so it got replaced with a GM piece. This pitman arm is straight and does not have the dog leg that the JK unit has. This make the draglink about 2" shorter which gets the length closer to the length of the draglink, thus making steering geometry much better.

Bob

I build stuff...
post #22 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

As I mentioned above part of Pat's request in re-building his 'lil monster was to put it on a diet.

[DISCLAIMER] Not responsible for eye damaged from the following pics. ;D

EYE CANDY baby! 6061-T6 Aluminum .250" thickness

Installed with the gas tank skid:

How's this for fit?

We had to get the Jeep out of the shop and road tested before the engine (HEMI specific) oil pan skid was finished so here's a teaser pic of what we are working on:

[NOTE] We did re-use the Brand X bolt head slider deals on our belly pan... We're working on a version of our own - but they are not back from the machine shop yet...

Next up we took it outside to force flex it on the forklift to get bump stops dialed in

As some of you know Pat took it out this past Sat and ran Carnage BV and had one of these all day ;D

Bob

I build stuff...
post #23 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here's a few wheeling shots to tie you over while we are finishing Pat's Jeep up. It went wheeling before we could get parts to powder, also we wanted to test a few things before we totally buttoned the build up.

For the naysayers on the AL belly armor:

Stay tund as we finish up sme loose ends and get the under hood finished.

Bob

I build stuff...
post #24 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Turned out very nice! How'd he find a full float rear axle & does it work with the speed sensors?

Fenders & Rockers -
post #25 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Garage

Awesome work!

I'll drop mine off next week..

įlllllį

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode