Tuner question - Not looking to start a war here - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tuner question - Not looking to start a war here

Can anyone comment on how tuner does with intake and exhaust. I will have to purchase a tuner because I am installing a Rocktrac transfer case in my Sport. I am trying to decide between the Flashcal or Flashpaq....not sure if the tunes are worth it or not? Does the Diablo tuners allow for regear/change tire size? I would consider other brands as long as they have the capability to change parameters, transfer case, tire size, gear ratio etc.

I understand my jeep will not be my Mustang GT....but just looking to see if tuners that having "tuning" function is worth the extra money or if I should just stick with a Flashcal.

Thanks for the input.

These are not the droids you are looking for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

The canned tunes usually deliver about a 10hp gain which isnt enough to be felt by the ole butt dyno but they also firm up shift points which is something that is noticeable. Its nice to be able to pull error codes too. I would do some research on all the features available and then judge for yourself if the added cost is worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2018, 11:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Can anyone comment on how tuner does with intake and exhaust. I will have to purchase a tuner because I am installing a Rocktrac transfer case in my Sport. I am trying to decide between the Flashcal or Flashpaq....not sure if the tunes are worth it or not? Does the Diablo tuners allow for regear/change tire size? I would consider other brands as long as they have the capability to change parameters, transfer case, tire size, gear ratio etc.

I understand my jeep will not be my Mustang GT....but just looking to see if tuners that having "tuning" function is worth the extra money or if I should just stick with a Flashcal.

Thanks for the input.
What year is your Jeep? the 07-11 won't really matter much when installing the rubi case. A 12+ automatic will for sure need changed but only when you put it in 4low.

A canned tune from any of the handhelds will give an improvement that you can feel. I just don't know for sure if any of them are including the Rubi T case option for changing the ratio in the TIPM.

An AEV pro cal is your best bet or you could send your TIPM to us and we could refresh it for the Rubi case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a 2016 JK Sport, I found a brand new in the box Rock Trac for stupid cheap which is why I bought it. I already have an intake and exhaust...the intake was given to me but its a nice AFE one and the exhaust was a high tuck.

I know the ECM has to be unlocked regardless.

I did speak to Superchips and they said that the tuners would take care of the transfer case TIPM.

Again just trying to get as much input as possible before I make the plunge.

These are not the droids you are looking for
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2018, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post

Thanks for the input.
You can do everything with the Diablosport Trinity that you can do with others plus it is probably the most flexible because you can tie in WBO2 and get custom tunes. Even with the "tuners" that have canned tunes, you are looking at about 10hp as already stated but you will also need to standardize on 91 octane fuel in order to take advantage of that. Better yet, run a 94 octane tune if you have that grade readily available.

I would not call it a "tuner" personally unless it can actually change the fuel and timing.

A high flow intake and exhaust will make the engine feel a little more responsive and also open up the top end, letting you pull more freely into redline.

Looks like Diablosport just updated the Trinity. It looks all new. Dang... I might have to sell of the old one and upgrade now.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Can't comment on differences with your 3.6, but for my 3.8 I have used Procal, Flashcal, Flashpaq, and Diablo InTune at various times. Tunes from the Diablo had a better 'butt dyno' performance increase than Flashpaq. Whether it was shift points or HP or whatever, I could actually feel the small increase from the diablo, didn't with the flashpaq.

Flashcal is nice because you get the screen and you can upgrade it over the internet to a Flashpaq if you later decide that you want tunes. But the one I keep going back to is the simple little Procal.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
Tunes from the Diablo had a better 'butt dyno' performance increase than Flashpaq. Whether it was shift points or HP or whatever, I could actually feel the small increase from the diablo, didn't with the flashpaq.
Probably Diablosport goes more aggressive on the base timing. You can watch the short term and long term knock retard PIDs.

Another thing to consider is that some of the tuners that have the canned tunes will not let you tweak those on your own, let alone work with a remote tuner (human).

With the Trinity, for example, you can load the canned tune and then go in and modify that tune to give it even more spark advance and perhaps fuel at WOT. You would have to do this carefully while watching your LT and ST Knock Retard PIDs.

Anyway, when I loaded the canned 91 octane tune (that's all we have here in cali), I noticed a difference. And then when I got the custom tune from Diablotoona, that same incremental performance gain was felt again. Because I have WBO2 tied into the trinity and can log it, Diablotoona (Johan) was able to get more timing and then throw more fuel at it to get to a specific AFR - I think folks shoot for a WOT (open loop) AFR of 11.5 to 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode