Brake lines hitting coilovers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TurbineGuy
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Brake lines hitting coilovers

Im looking for a source of brake lines for my JKU. Just added coilovers an the brake lines hit the coilovers at full lock, because all the brake lines have that 90 degree banjo fitting that sticks out.

Im looking for some brake lines that have straight banjo fittings but no luck.

I tried my local hydraulic tubing shop, but they don't have the right size banjos.

Note: Prorock 44 front with JT Performance (Crown) big brake kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2018, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Have you tried adding a spring on the line to keep it out of the coils? Or flipping the fitting?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 AM
DJ1
Rock God

If you've got $20 to burn, Teraflex has those Brake Line Anchors that came out sometime last year I believe.

TeraFlex 1101255 JK Front Brake Line Anchor

I don't run them though since I've been good with my front setup...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Its not the lines, its the actual fitting.

Flipping the fitting would just put it oriented into the tire.

This aint mine... but the same kit, and you can see how they are oriented.

Found a thread on wrangler forum where the same issue is discussed. I think mine is even worse because of the coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Have you tried adding a spring on the line to keep it out of the coils? Or flipping the fitting?
Attached Images

post #5 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 AM
JKO Addict!

By flipping I meant having the fitting pointed down not towards the tire.

Some build info here:

post #6 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Not to derail things , but are you running the stock MC with that Crown kit ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes. for now. No problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
Not to derail things , but are you running the stock MC with that Crown kit ?

tapcola likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Fittings are rectangular. Not enough room to flip them 90 degrees. Can only flip 180 degrees.

Quote:
By flipping I meant having the fitting pointed down not towards the tire.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Rock God

You can bend the hard lines some. I have bent my rears for clearance and haven’t had any issues.

In your case it appears if you bent them up and towards the rear of the Jeep (like 45* and 45*) that they would clear the bottom mounts.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
Fittings are rectangular. Not enough room to flip them 90 degrees. Can only flip 180 degrees.
Right that was what I was talking about and you can do 90 degrees if you want it just takes a bit of grinding to gain the needed clearance. Are you running coil overs and bypasses or just coil overs? I would question the lower mounts if just running coil overs.

Some build info here:

post #11 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Its a standard Prorock 44. I think the combo of the brakes, coilovers and Prorock are just an unlucky combo.

Im going to try teraflex lines, they have round banjo fittings, and the bend is shorter.

Not really wanting to bend lines or grind bolt... Im a bit conservative when it comes to brakes.

Quote:
Right that was what I was talking about and you can do 90 degrees if you want it just takes a bit of grinding to gain the needed clearance. Are you running coil overs and bypasses or just coil overs? I would question the lower mounts if just running coil overs.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-28-2018, 04:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Its likely the lower mount being in a bad spot like the back of the axle where it should be on the top of the axle tube if you are just running a single coil over shock. The reason the fittings are square is because it keeps the fitting from spinning and coming loose where a round one will can. The rectangle block is solid and can easily be ground so it is round as long as you don't get into where the brass seals are. It is a simple 5 minute job that saves you $100 but whatever. I am surprised the shop you have it at simply did not bend them as they are a rather soft material and bend easily or flipping it 180 as it would lower the brake line by 4" and make it easier to bleed.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 17 Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Wheeler

I'm no brake expert but something seems to be wrong with your 90 degree fitting. I've never seen an install with the fitting facing out. Facing it out seems to be a recipe for disaster. It has more potential to get hit. On almost every install the 90 degree fitting usually faces upward. Maybe they sent you the wrong brake lines.
Just a thought!
Attached Images

post #14 of 17 Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubright View Post
I'm no brake expert but something seems to be wrong with your 90 degree fitting. I've never seen an install with the fitting facing out. Facing it out seems to be a recipe for disaster. It has more potential to get hit. On almost every install the 90 degree fitting usually faces upward. Maybe they sent you the wrong brake lines.
Just a thought!
yeah, OEM are gonna have the neat, tidy little fittings that sit flush to the side but many if not most large, aftermarket brake kits or solutions from aftermarket are like this

and the OPs.
there is another thread that @SoK66 has active right now talkin about this I believe....

post #15 of 17 Old 02-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Rock God

You could just move the line to the other side of the shock .

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #16 of 17 Old 02-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Rock God

In the Project-JK picture, they have the brake lines swapped from left to right. I have seen this a few times. The hard line portion should be right up against the caliper. Just removed my axles otherwise I would take a picture.

Another complication is using the Teraflex brake calipers where the lines mount to the top rather than the sides. The Dirtman is correct in a little reshaping of the fitting would work and swap the lines from left to right so the hard line it facing up and will stay out of harms way.
Attached Images

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #17 of 17 Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Wheeler

I just did the Crown Automotive BBK install and did a little mod to make my Metalcloak lines fit. I set the caliper up in my milling machine and just took a little (about .075") cut off the back of the pad where the brake line block mounts. It allowed me to spin the orientation of the block so the line points up. It flexes like it should when you turn the wheel right and left. Super easy to setup in a milling vice if you have access to a mill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode