2Likes
  • 1 Post By KOWBOY
  • 1 Post By 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Running the stock BCM stand alone??

Looking at different options for my pile of JK. Obviously everything is connected via CANBUS. Is there any way to run the BCM stand alone, without the ECM? I assume not, but I want to make sure I check it off my list of things I cannot do with the factory wiring. I am looking at engine options, but am not willing to spend 15k plus for an LS swap (after tranny and t case and wiring etc). Thanks for reading my stupid question. Lol

Your lack of commitment disturbs me...

President of Alaska Extreme Frouwheelers club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

15k would be cheap for a well done LS swap in a jk by motech or RPM Extreme .
Id go so far as to say if you are not in a position to spend at LEAST 15grand, you maybe better off saving a bit longer. Or, just swapping a stock motor in with low miles and SC it.

I dont know much about that engine management- BCM - you ref but if you wanna check some tech nerd CAN hacks , this guy was doing them to his 13 JK early in his ownership. It is such an integrated bus for the required data to cintrol everything that you basically have two choices : stick with it and go with a kit and use the support that it offers to work yourself thru the swap OR gut the entire vehicle and rebuild every single gauge and system monitor and control like you would a buggy. Check out @KOWBOY thread on here about his Turd .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Doesnt the @0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME kit run the BCM standalone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
... OR gut the entire vehicle and rebuild every single gauge and system monitor and control like you would a buggy. Check out @KOWBOY thread on here about his Turd .
'Preciate the call out.

But reckon it's a good bet most folks ain't wantin' to go to the extreme I am in order to get shed of the 'lectrical problems.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Doesnt the @0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME kit run the BCM standalone?
No. We don't run a GM BCM. We have a EZcanbus module that takes care of all the CAN messages and does the job of the GM BCM.

You could run a gm BCM on a standalone harness and get the TAP shift and cruise to work but it would take a ton of work and still wouldn't help you integrate it into the Jeep side.

The best bet is to just go with our Base DIY kit. That will give you all the wiring-canbus as well as the mounts etc... to get it into the Jeep and running with all the options working like factory.
You can then source all the extra stuff yourself.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 11:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Probably a dumb question but, the Jeep has no BCM correct?

Or is that basically what the TIPM is?

Kevin
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Thought the Jeep does have a BCM and I wasnt saying to run a GM BCM standalone. I was saying to run the Jeep one without getting signal from a Jeep ECU since it would be gone and replaced by a GM one.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 06:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

There is nothing called a BCM on the Jeep side. I would say the TIPM and CCN (cabin compartment node) "cluster" would be the body control module of sorts.

And no. you wouldn't be able to run the Jeep TIPM standalone and expect much of the Jeep to operate.

With the technology of the conversion kits you would be crazy to try run standalone unless you plan on gutting the entire Jeep electronic system and going full standalone everything buggy style

I know it comes down to cost and time. You either pay now and have a working jeep conversion in a week or mess with it trying to make everything work and end up paying double later.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think it was Robbie who had been using GM BCM's in the mix at some point, or maybe still does, who knows, it never seems like any two of his kits are the same.

Jon,

What is the CCM "cluster"?

Kevin
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I think it was Robbie who had been using GM BCM's in the mix at some point, or maybe still does, who knows, it never seems like any two of his kits are the same.

Jon,

What is the CCM "cluster"?
Cabin Compartment Node (CCN). Basically its the instrument cluster. It sorta does the same thing as a GM BCM in a way.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Quote:
We've been ruining BCM's since 2007 in Gen IV swaps but we have not run a BCM without an ECM.

Of coarse we can run without a BCM and get all the functions like Tapshift, CC.... using CAN but we still run BCM's in some swaps.

Recently I butted heads with the BAR in California, let's just say my fight went from the Referees to the Regional Managers to the Senior Engineer of the BAR to the Chief of the BAR. Then it went to the department of consumer affairs(DCA oversees the bureaus) and stopped short of going to the AG(Attorney General).

Bottom line is we got the BAR to the negotiating table and challenged their unfounded claims.

The BAR had to recognize our conversion is different. They challenged the harness, calibrations, modules and said they needed EO's, but they don't because they are OE and approved by the USEPA. All the crap you guys hear me talk about OE harness, power distribution, blah, blah, blah..... this is where it matters, these guys look for it.

We are currently required to run a BCM in CA or get an EO on the CAN interface with the ARB. Of coarse we are working with the ARB but it takes time so whenever you can use unmodified OE components the better.

MoTech
725-502-8507

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode