found my "rattle" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.
Arrow found my "rattle"

So I've had a rattle for a little while now and for the life of me couldn't accept this to be a cracked manifold (just being outside of warranty) but 99% of me knew it was exhaust sounding the cause, so the other day I started the "find the rattle" game and started up at the engine and worked my way back.

here's what I found...

BINGO!

but now why the hell would the control arm bracket and the exhaust be touching you ask?

well...

OUCH!!!! snapped the bracket off at the weld where it meets the frame.

in further examination I found that the upper control arms had also been installed backwards (driver on passenger/passenger on driver). the Teraflex arms have a slight bend to them and with them installed backwards this put excess pressure on the bracket which eventually led to the weld snapping.

boy did I get lucky! this could have been wayyyyyyyyyyy worse had it snapped completely off while driving! not to mention how clean of a snap this was, so an easy repair. so into the shop it goes today.

moral of the story (listen up newbies) and the reason I put this in the Modified Section, no matter what work you get done and no matter how reputable the shop may be, always fully examine the work done. I thought I had done this but the bend in the upper arms is such a slight bend and when laying on your back under the rig it looks "almost" correct. for this reason I cannot fully place blame on the shop that did this. It was installed over a year ago.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 09-20-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Man that sucks! It probably wouldn't have been too catastrophic down the road with three other arms there, but it's certainly NOT GOOD!

Glad you got it caught and can straighten it out. Are the arms labeled?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Holy shit, e.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Man that sucks! It probably wouldn't have been too catastrophic down the road with three other arms there, but it's certainly NOT GOOD!

Glad you got it caught and can straighten it out. Are the arms labeled?
funny you mention this... YES! actually upon first inspection after the lift was installed I found the driver side tire to be rubbing on the front lower control arm. after checking it out closer I found the font lower control arm to be installed upside down! a sticker on the control arm reads "this sticker faces up". no biggie, chalk front tire, remove control arm, flip, install correctly.

like i said... i thought i had checked everything else out after that but obviously i missed these (again these have a slight bend to them and when on your back under the rig the look "almost" correct)

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 09-20-2010 at 05:54 AM.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

WOW!! And I keep thinking about you towing that trailer to Maine.. If it would have broken, that would have sucked.. Glad you caught it before it became really bad..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
WOW!! And I keep thinking about you towing that trailer to Maine.. If it would have broken, that would have sucked.. Glad you caught it before it became really bad..
yeah no joke... but the rattle hasn't been there that long. i think a few full flexing of the suspension on some of these trails up here inevitably assisted the snap.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I doubt I could have managed a trail fix for that!

Glad u spotted it before something bad could happen...

Keep us informed as to how the fix goes

post #8 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
I doubt I could have managed a trail fix for that!

Glad u spotted it before something bad could happen...

Keep us informed as to how the fix goes
what you don't think some JB weld, some hose clamps, electrical tape, and a few ratchet straps coulda held it together?

post #9 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

[JoeDirtVoice] Daaaaaang! [JoeDirtVoice]

Glad you found that! Another great reason to give your junk a good once over every now and then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
yeah no joke... but the rattle hasn't been there that long. i think a few full flexing of the suspension on some of these trails up here inevitably assisted the snap.

Yeah.. I think that would do it..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
what you don't think some JB weld, some hose clamps, electrical tape, and a few ratchet straps coulda held it together?
ZIP TIES!!! Don't forget to use some zip ties.. LOL

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
post #12 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dang ...installing a evap skid as soon as my Jeep gets back from the shop ...probably a good time to check everything out. Glad you didn't experience this while mobile!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #13 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Wheeler

Real moral of the story is, do the work yourself. In my experience 80-90% of mechanics out there are idiots. I took a Jeep in for an inspection a couple years ago that I had inspected and would have failed it for 3 different things outright and 1 more thing that if I was a real stickler I would have failed it for but the guy passed it.

I asked him if there was ANYTHING that might be a bit iffy and he said "nope, its in great shape besides the scratches on the body."

Stuff like what you just showed is why I dont let any shops do anything to my vehicles.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaJeeper View Post
Real moral of the story is, do the work yourself. In my experience 80-90% of mechanics out there are idiots. I took a Jeep in for an inspection a couple years ago that I had inspected and would have failed it for 3 different things outright and 1 more thing that if I was a real stickler I would have failed it for but the guy passed it.

I asked him if there was ANYTHING that might be a bit iffy and he said "nope, its in great shape besides the scratches on the body."

Stuff like what you just showed is why I dont let any shops do anything to my vehicles.
would have if i knew how to weld. i mean.. i can tack and run a fairly good line but nothing i would trust under my rig that's this crucial of an element as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
ZIP TIES!!! Don't forget to use some zip ties.. LOL
damn... forgot the zip ties

post #15 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
would have if i knew how to weld. i mean.. i can tack and run a fairly good line but nothing i would trust under my rig that's this crucial of an element as of yet.
Very true, I would consider myself a decent welder(for making bumpers, fixing frame cracks on my YJ, etc) but for welding on components like you have there I always brought it over to my step fathers place and had him weld it.

I've only got a 220volt Miller MIG while he has a 720 volt stick welder so for thicker metals I tend to lean towards him doing it aswell.

But beyond someone welding on tabs for me, I do everything else myself exactly for this reason. Even something like an oil change is too risky for shops to do in my opinion. lol
post #16 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
JKO Addict!

None of those trail fixes would work because you're forgetting the duct tape.
post #17 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
None of those trail fixes would work because you're forgetting the duct tape.
Duct tape has been replaced in my tool box arsenal by Gorilla Tape. I'm fairly certain one could use that shit to repair a broken drive shaft for a drive home from the trail!!!

post #18 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Rock God

Wow good thing you caught that when you did. I'm not very impressed with the factory welds for the control arm brackets. I broke part of the weld on my driver front lca frame mount, doing some relatively light wheeling. The factory weld seems to have very little penetration...

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #19 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I'm a qc inspector, refineries and such. The first thing I noticed after purchasing the jk and crawling under it the next day at home was that all of the suspension brackets were only welded on one side, WTF? Specially on something that is ment to be lifted, wheeled and abused and they only weld the stuff on one side with thin fillet welds. Bad idea! And if you would have to slam on the brakes it most likely would have taken the rest of the bracket off. Next shop job out of the refinery I'm having a welder tig all the back sides of my brackets and weld in all my new poly bracketry. Glad you found it!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #20 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

rut ro.

glad you're ok and found it before it was a disaster on the road.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Which way are the bends in the uppers supposed to go? I have the same arms and had someone else install them, gotta check this out tomorrow

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #22 of 22 Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Which way are the bends in the uppers supposed to go? I have the same arms and had someone else install them, gotta check this out tomorrow
Go to Teraflex's website and click on the lift you have and blow it up by double clicking on it. If you right click the picture it will give you the option to print. They have laid everything out in the order it would look from a birdseye view for reference. Just remember everything will be upside down when you're laying under your Jeep. Also, the control arms have stickers on them with placement and also note which side the sticker faces whether be up or down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode