Recommendations for shocks and springs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Recommendations for shocks and springs

I have a 2013 jku Rubicon. Rock hard sport cage. Full steel skids. 37s on 17 rims. Stock but fully built 44 axels. 4inch teraflex long arm suspension. It's a daily driver that's used once or twice a year for rock crawling. Soon be doing the Rubicon trail. Not happy with the teraflex shocks and springs that are now 4 years old. Looking for recommendations that will give me the best on and off road use. I've tried searching but most treads are old and lots of new stuff out there now. Like new teraflex springs. New rock krawler stuff etc that wasn't in any old posts I've come across
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Unless get some sprung vehicle rates and are willing to spend the money on tuning shocks you might as well put a list of manufactures on the wall, close your eyes, and throw a dart at them, and buy the one you hit.
What do you feel is lacking with your current shocks and coils? Do you know tire choice is one of the biggest reasons for a poor ride. Many pick a tire designed for a ton truck towing 20,000 pounds and run way too much tire pressure for the relatively light jeep. Proper set up with enough up travel in the shocks to properly work without bottoming out as well as geometry, which is rather poor in the teraflex long arm kit.

You coils and springs have little to do in terms of on and off road performance and proper set up is really the key. A daily driver and rock crawler are very comparable in terms of set up generally being on the lighter side in terms of compression and rebound in the shocks allowing the coils to compress easily and rebound is just an afterthought. There are many shocks out there that are adjustable and will allow you to make changes to the compression side for a more comfortable on road ride and allow you to stiffen them up if you want to blast down a dirt road. Bypass shocks are a very expensive option but would be overkill for what you are describing in terms of use.

Something else to consider is to lighten up the vehicle. Rock crawlers are best when light. Many people load up with armor and everything they can find to bolt onto the jeep which really adds up and can overload the coils and shocks making for a rough ride off road and the increased chance of breaking stuff.

I would start by looking at your current set up with total travel and the ratio of up/down travel you have. How much shock shaft do you have at ride height? How much space between bump stop pads? Tire rating and psi. If you can get some sprung weights. Many off road shops have scales to get accurate measurements.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I would take a look at the new Falcon shock line from Teraflex. My recent JKU build had a set of RK coils and the Falcon 3.3s on it and I was very, very happy with the handling and ride quality of those shocks. Of course Teraflex tuned the shocks based on their coils, so I'd say that you'll get the best ride matching quality out of that setup if you use TF coils.

It is likely that your current shocks are just tired after four years. You might try upgrading or changing out your shocks first and seeing what you think.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Bilstien 7100s and Synergy Variable rate coilsprings are quite nice together on some Jeeps. Opinions on this is subjective as hell with the answers you get differing as greatly as what’s the best flavor ice cream or color of Jeep: everyone’s will be different.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Rock God

I can second the Teraflex shocks. I have the 3.1’s and am super satisfied with the ride quality. I have seen a couple of other manufacturers using them on their jeeps. They have commented on how nice they ride, as well. I also have a Metal Cloak lift, so Metal Cloak springs, my butt Dyno is super happy.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am running the Fox Remote Resi shocks on my Teraflex Long Arm Kit also on 37's and I am quite happy with ride and handling on and off road.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM
TRD
Granite Guru

We can custom tune some Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks for you. They'll ride extremely smooth and give you good bottom out resistance.

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode