Clicking from drivetrain in 4wd... driveshaft? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Clicking from drivetrain in 4wd... driveshaft?

2008 JKU, 4" lift on 35's.

When in 4wd going forward or reverse I hear a clicking noise, sounds like the front end, but could be mid-way back. The noise is worse under load (climbing on a rock) but I still have good wheel speed / spin.

I was thinking my driveshaft is going. The boot looks intact, no oil spray from it (that I can see) and no big chunks missing from the shaft from the skid.

The front diff fluid is full and clean, the axle u-joints appear solid.

When I put it in 2wd there is no clicking noise.

Thanks in advance!

Enjoying life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Granite Guru

Mine started doing the same thing today. I looked at the front drives shaft, and it appears to have let all the grease out of it in front of the t- case. I was assuming that was my issue, but I don't know for sure.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

crawl under the jeep and see if you can move the driveshaft up and down at the joint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

I have a little up down movement
post #5 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Malibu View Post
I have a little up down movement
Movement in a cv joint means the joint is about to go.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #6 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
Movement in a cv joint means the joint is about to go.
yup, A buddy of mine brought his JK over for a similar noise. While I was in the process of removing the shaft the joint fell apart.

|
|
post #7 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

yup your front ds is going going and almost gone...

the severe angle from your lift has caused the boot on the tcase side to tear which results in the "clicking' you hear. if you look up there with a flashlight or even when you take it down this is what you will see... (it was only a matter of time)

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 09-19-2010 at 08:22 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just went outside with a flashlight, and grease on the underside in a nice splatter pattern, and movement on the T-case end of the driveshaft (up / down.)

Going to have to buy a front DS now...knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

Enjoying life!
post #9 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

for the time being just drop it and chuck it. it's a ticking time bomb. i let my first stock one go for awhile and the day i decided to change it it started clicking in 2whl. that could have been messy if it had decided to go all together on the road. very easy to drop it out 4 bolts on the axle and 8 on the tcase side. do the axle first and then you can rotate the driveshaft around to get at each bolt on the tcase side.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #10 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
for the time being just drop it and chuck it. it's a ticking time bomb. i let my first stock one go for awhile and the day i decided to change it it started clicking in 2whl. that could have been messy if it had decided to go all together on the road. very easy to drop it out 4 bolts on the axle and 8 on the tcase side. do the axle first and then you can rotate the driveshaft around to get at each bolt on the tcase side.
Will be dropping it tomorrow afternoon.

Now...what to get..hmmmmm. ????

Enjoying life!
post #11 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by medcop View Post
Will be dropping it tomorrow afternoon.

Now...what to get..hmmmmm. ????
started this thread when i was pondering this same question...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26981

post #12 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Granite Guru

I just pulled mine, it was definitely junk.

67,000 miles lifted isn't to bad I guess....
post #13 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Malibu View Post
I just pulled mine, it was definitely junk.

67,000 miles lifted isn't to bad I guess....
I am just over 27,000 and 22,000 of that was lifted.

Enjoying life!
post #14 of 20 Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My rear driveshaft has begun with the loud clicking and when I crawled underneath the Jeep and felt around a bit, the upper CV joint that attaches to the T case is covered in grease. I'm assuming this means bad things...is it time for a new driveshaft?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #15 of 20 Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I thought for a while that it might be coming from the exhaust or something like that. Here's a bit more detail. It does it in 2wd, and is louder/more noticeable when the jeep is cold. It doesn't click that I can notice from inside the jeep when in reverse backing out of my garage. As soon as I shift into gear and head forward it clicks. And it clicks louder the more gas I give it. It does it in every gear, and again is louder as the revs climb. The upper boot is greasy.

I have a 4" Superlift on my 2 door JK 6 speed and run 35s.

I just need to be sure this will fix my issue before I drop $500 on an aftermarket driveshaft. And if anyone has an extra stock rear laying around, let me know.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #16 of 20 Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I thought for a while that it might be coming from the exhaust or something like that. Here's a bit more detail. It does it in 2wd, and is louder/more noticeable when the jeep is cold. It doesn't click that I can notice from inside the jeep when in reverse backing out of my garage. As soon as I shift into gear and head forward it clicks. And it clicks louder the more gas I give it. It does it in every gear, and again is louder as the revs climb. The upper boot is greasy.

I have a 4" Superlift on my 2 door JK 6 speed and run 35s.

I just need to be sure this will fix my issue before I drop $500 on an aftermarket driveshaft. And if anyone has an extra stock rear laying around, let me know.
yes buy yourself a new rear aftermarket driveshaft before you drop that thing going down the road like TexasKev did

|
|
post #17 of 20 Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
yes buy yourself a new rear aftermarket driveshaft before you drop that thing going down the road like TexasKev did
No kidding, my driveshaft angles with just 2.5" spacers look like shit at ride height. No way would I run much more lift on stock shafts on a 2dr

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-29-2015, 06:47 PM

driveshaft making noise

OK so where the driveshaft connects to the bridge from the power transfer in the back. I think its the U bridge? anyways, its kind of beat up and not sitting in there 100%. I figured if i replace those the clanking noise will stop?
post #19 of 20 Old 04-30-2015, 01:54 AM
Rock God

honestly on an 08, I am surprised it lasted this long!

how long has it been lifted and has it been wheeled hard? mine was trashed after a year of moderate wheeling on a 3.5" lift
post #20 of 20 Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
you can rebuild it

I had the same issue with my 08 JKU with a 4 inch lift. I ended up ordering the cv rebuild kit from quadratec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_0013.htm not a very difficult job can be done in a hour or two. when i did mine i just needed it fixed ( had snow coming) i will be changing out drive shifts soon. Tom woods or dynatrac have good deals on upgraded replacement drive shafts. good luck with yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in