Detroit in front - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Detroit in front

Anyone running one? My Heep isn't a daily driver, but I do drive it back and forth to the trails in the summer. I don't want one in the rear (selectable is better here) because of the street time and maneuverability on the trails. But I think I'd be golden with one in the front, I don't see much of an issue with one on the pavement. It would be nice to have one up front and just not worry about it....

Thoughts?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 12:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Not unless you go with some form of manual hub up front to disengage it. Plus, you'll need some help in the steering boost department, the stock pup & box aren't going to be up to it. Unless it's a very heavily beefed up trail rig, better to go with a manual locker up front. JMHO, of course.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd put one in the rear before the front. It'll just bury your turning radius off road. And forget using it in the snow in 4-hi

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

you could try an aussie or lockrite up front rather than a full on detroit...

i'm n ot a huge fan of a front auto locker, but they work great. they're just quirky on the road (in the snow) but since you're not daily driving the jeep i think you'd be fine.

as far as on the trail. you won't be able to turn as sharp that's for sure, but you won't have any problems turning the steering wheel... no more than you would normally. it's not like you're spooling it.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Granite Guru

This is a questions that comes up pretty regularly... There are plenty of people who run detroits front and rear and seem to just fine on and off the road. You just have to be careful and pay attention, especially in the ice! As far as putting one in the front or rear the consensus among the Jeep daily drivers out there is that it is better in the rear. If you go onto Pirate4x4 and digging around all posts that cover this same topic.... you will get the opposite answer. It's hard to give a good answer there. A few of the competitors on Pirate seem to think that a detroit front and an ARB rear is better than the other way around. I think their explanation was something along the lines of the back of the car "pushing" the front end around. So in short... I really have no idea lol, but there is quite a bit of ambiguity thats for sure.

~Casey

post #6 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Granite Guru

For a DD in Denver, a Detroit up front wouldn't be my first choice.

But for your situation - not your DD, and driving in 2WD to the trails in the summer? Go for it! (just remember that it's up there when you leave your car in the garage and drive the Jeep to work during the snow/ice storms... )
post #7 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Rock God

I have Detroits front/rear. No issues. You need to drive it like a Jeep, period.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #8 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'd put one in the rear before the front. It'll just bury your turning radius off road. And forget using it in the snow in 4-hi
Actually, I believe its just the opposite. The Detroit in the front lets you keep your turning radius, its that rear Detroit that kills you in the technical stuff. Many competition crawlers, including the Curries, run a Detroit in the front and selectable in the rear. I have not lost any turning off-road with my front Detroit. In the technical stuff, my rear locker almost never gets used. But, having said that, guys running dual Detroits go through the same stuff I do and have little trouble (except for the occasional 3-point turn).

As for street driving, I have driven on the street several times with my hubs engaged in 2WD, and the difference is slightly noticeable. It's not bad at all and not noticeable most of the time, just much better doing u-turns and parking with the hubs unlocked.

I agree with the Denver comment; Detroit probably not the best option for your location. I run mine in the snow and it does great, but on ice, I unlock those hubs and stay in 2WD. In winter, you probably deal with ice daily.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Rock God

On my last Jeep I ran one in the rear with a tru trac LSD up front. This combo was great on and off road. Snow, ice, dry, whatever. I don't think a rear one hurts turning at all, but seems like the front really would.

LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSteve View Post
On my last Jeep I ran one in the rear with a tru trac LSD up front. This combo was great on and off road. Snow, ice, dry, whatever. I don't think a rear one hurts turning at all, but seems like the front really would.
Think of it this way;

With the front locked up and the tires turned, the jeep is pulled in the direction that the front tires are pointed. Either straight, right, or left. Maneuvering on the trail is often made easier with that Detroit up front. As a matter of fact, most comp rigs in really tight spots completely disable their rear axle (sometimes braked and sometimes free-spinning) with the twin stick and lock in the front only; this is called a "front dig" and lets them turn on a dime.

With only the rear locked up, both rear wheel are pushing the direction that the tires are pointed, straight ahead. This makes turning difficult, especially in rocks.

Most competition crawlers or folks that run the technical stuff will confirm this.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Rock God

I put a power trax up front and do not notice it at all on the road. Off road it makes a tremendous difference in how it steers but only while the fronts are digging. After climbing a steep hill or navigating a rocky path, I will switch back to 2 wheel drive for for going to the next obstacle.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Cool - good information here. Remember ice and snow are a non-issue; I've got a Subaru for that. I don't winter-wheel either (I hate that shit). It's only driven in nice weather, and to and from the trails.

Desert Dog - you running the Spyntec kit? I like the idea, but it looks like I'd have to give up my RCVs and go back to u-joint axles, which I really don't want to do.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #13 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run an Aussie and it kicks ass. It was cheap and it does the same thing as the expensive lockers. I've gotten to try it out a few times since having it installed and damn is it a difference. Over time the lunch box style lockers may wear out, but its alot easier to replace the little springs than a new locker. I love it

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #14 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Actually, I believe its just the opposite. The Detroit in the front lets you keep your turning radius, its that rear Detroit that kills you in the technical stuff. Many competition crawlers, including the Curries, run a Detroit in the front and selectable in the rear. I have not lost any turning off-road with my front Detroit. In the technical stuff, my rear locker almost never gets used. But, having said that, guys running dual Detroits go through the same stuff I do and have little trouble (except for the occasional 3-point turn).

As for street driving, I have driven on the street several times with my hubs engaged in 2WD, and the difference is slightly noticeable. It's not bad at all and not noticeable most of the time, just much better doing u-turns and parking with the hubs unlocked.

I agree with the Denver comment; Detroit probably not the best option for your location. I run mine in the snow and it does great, but on ice, I unlock those hubs and stay in 2WD. In winter, you probably deal with ice daily.
the reason they run an ARB in the rear is for cutting brakes...

after running a detroit up front i have to disagree. that thing turned like a boat. had to pop it into 2low to turn half the time.

on the tough technical twisty stuff it was fine, it was the tight trails getting to the obstacles where it SUCCKKEEEDDD

post #15 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
Desert Dog - you running the Spyntec kit
No. Running a Rock Jock 60 with manual hubs.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Detroits work fine in a front axle. If you're worried about steering pump and box issues with them, you'd really hate it when a selectable is locked. A Detroit Locker equipped rig turns much easier than a locked selectable. That said, I like to upgrade steering boxes and/or pumps whenever front lockers are in play.

For me, one of the best investments I ever made was a t-case with a twin stick. Once you've done a front dig, you'll never go back. Doing a new t-case isn't a cheap mod but it will grow with your rig. It's one of the few mods that you can keep throughout the life of your rig. In the tight twisty trails, regardless of your front axle locker choice, front wheel only makes a huge difference.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Detroits work fine in a front axle. If you're worried about steering pump and box issues with them, you'd really hate it when a selectable is locked. A Detroit Locker equipped rig turns much easier than a locked selectable. That said, I like to upgrade steering boxes and/or pumps whenever front lockers are in play.

For me, one of the best investments I ever made was a t-case with a twin stick. Once you've done a front dig, you'll never go back. Doing a new t-case isn't a cheap mod but it will grow with your rig. It's one of the few mods that you can keep throughout the life of your rig. In the tight twisty trails, regardless of your front axle locker choice, front wheel only makes a huge difference.
I agree 100% my ARB switch shorted out on our last trail ride and i was HATING life. not being able to turn sucks!

and a twin sticked case is definitely the shit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode