Another Coil Over Thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-13-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Another Coil Over Thread

Looking into coilovers on my jk. Iím trying to research coilover kits. Yes, I know some people worship the evo/king set up. Moving on. I know how they work.
Does anyone know how Icon and how Skyjacker mount to the rear? Iím trying to narrow down some choices and without knowing how they do it I canít really choose. I couldnít find install information on either website for front or rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Don't bother with kits. They are expensive, take about 50 hours to install (long arm), and are poorly set up. You can buy most of the brackets you need form places like chassis unlimited or ruff stuff (others as well). You can buy shocks and brackets for much cheaper then these kits. What are your plans for the jeep and why do you think you need coil overs (most everyone does not but its what all the cool kids are doing). What tire size are you running, axles, desired lift height? Outboard mounted or hanging out the back? You should be thinking about these questions and not "what kit"
robertcrav and jku_jasen like this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-15-2018, 02:34 AM
TRD
Granite Guru

The skyjacker rear kits use 10Ē travel coilovers mounted in the stock location.

You might also want to consider our kit which uses 12ís front and rear, has more up travel than other kits, and welds on for simple install. Our kit is designed to be installed in a weekend and fits 2.5 to 6Ē lift depending which shocks and brackets you use. Not to mention our kits come with custom tuned shocks to match your modifications and your terrain.

Coilover Kits | AccuTune Off-Road

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
The skyjacker rear kits use 10Ē travel coilovers mounted in the stock location.

You might also want to consider our kit which uses 12ís front and rear, has more up travel than other kits, and welds on for simple install. Our kit is designed to be installed in a weekend and fits 2.5 to 6Ē lift depending which shocks and brackets you use. Not to mention our kits come with custom tuned shocks to match your modifications and your terrain.

Coilover Kits | AccuTune Off-Road

Seems like a decent set up.

post #5 of 28 Old 01-15-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Don't bother with kits. They are expensive, take about 50 hours to install (long arm), and are poorly set up. You can buy most of the brackets you need form places like chassis unlimited or ruff stuff (others as well). You can buy shocks and brackets for much cheaper then these kits. What are your plans for the jeep and why do you think you need coil overs (most everyone does not but its what all the cool kids are doing). What tire size are you running, axles, desired lift height? Outboard mounted or hanging out the back? You should be thinking about these questions and not "what kit"

Main reason is for ease of install. Iíve already done me research and coilovers will be ideal for my build. Iím trust trying to fumble through how companies are achieving the set up and if itís worth it to bolt on or not. So far it looks like welding/fab will be easier. I donít need all the control arms and I highly doubt itíll take me 40 hrs on an install, depending on the set up.

post #6 of 28 Old 01-15-2018, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crffisher View Post
Seems like a decent set up.

No sway bar in the back?

post #7 of 28 Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Granite Guru

Iím actually having the Rubicon Express Coilover kit installed right now. Fox shocks.

Itís rear shocks mount just like icons. Basically there is a frame that mounts up where the exhaust sits. Mounts between cross members.

(Note: if you are like me and removed your rear cross member then a something will need to be customized to replace it).

No idea what Rancho does, never seem that kit.

The RE kits are a deal right now. Also include hydraulic bumpstops.
crffisher likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Main reason is for ease of install. Iíve already done me research and coilovers will be ideal for my build. Iím trust trying to fumble through how companies are achieving the set up and if itís worth it to bolt on or not. So far it looks like welding/fab will be easier. I donít need all the control arms and I highly doubt itíll take me 40 hrs on an install, depending on the set up.
Thedirtman asked some legitimate questions to help give you a better answer.

I've delt with Ryan at TRD and can say he's a good guy who knows his shit.

Kevin
post #9 of 28 Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Thedirtman asked some legitimate questions to help give you a better answer.

I've delt with Ryan at TRD and can say he's a good guy who knows his shit.

I get it, no issues there. No hard feelings here. I know thereís a lot of ridiculous questions on this forum. Iím just looking to make my mounting easier as the weight of my Jeep is probably not going to be ideal for a ďpre-tunedĒ coilover. Iím trying to cut down on some work without cutting corners, if itís possible, which is why Iím researching different companies mounts so I can assess from there. If I had a fully loaded shop, and an extra vehicle Iíd fab my own parts to t st out. Unfortunately Iíve got to build with what I can.

post #10 of 28 Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM

As an owner of the evo coilover kit, i would strongly look into Accutune's kit if i were to do it over again.

Don't get me wrong, i am satisfied with the choice i made as accutune's kit wasn't out a couple years ago when i bought. And the install was fairly simple on the EVO kit, i completed it in a weekend working by myself and taking many breaks due to my kids, etc. Probably took about 8 hours of total work, without long arms.

The up travel on the evo kit and others like it is pretty small in the rear, under 4" if you dont go sky high on the jeep. I have seen as low as 1-2" of up travel and that just doesn't cut it. The evo kit does however keep them the most vertical of the other kits, and im sure there is something to be said about that. I have been completely satisfied with them in the rocks and getting after it out in the desert here in Vegas. Granted, i probably drive slower than most since my D44 is still in stock form.

I think accutune's brackets for the rear are the best option if having them mounted in the stock-ish location. Heck, i am debating on changing out my rear evo mounts for theirs to try to gain a couple inches. I haven't done much research into the fronts that they have as you are pretty limited on space unless you start hacking up quite a bit of plastic.

Just my $0.02
post #11 of 28 Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 AM
TRD
Granite Guru

Quote:
I get it, no issues there. No hard feelings here. I know thereís a lot of ridiculous questions on this forum. Iím just looking to make my mounting easier as the weight of my Jeep is probably not going to be ideal for a ďpre-tunedĒ coilover. Iím trying to cut down on some work without cutting corners, if itís possible, which is why Iím researching different companies mounts so I can assess from there. If I had a fully loaded shop, and an extra vehicle Iíd fab my own parts to t st out. Unfortunately Iíve got to build with what I can.

Everyone of our shocks is tuned in house by hand to match the weight, motion ratio, and setup of your Jeep, as well as the terrain you drive on. Every shock we sell is tuned differently to deliver consistent performance across varying setups.
crffisher likes this.

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
post #12 of 28 Old 01-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

Pics below. Includes custom rear cross member that the bracket mounts to.

The way they relocate the rear sway bar sucks. Just removing it. Will upgrade to Curry anti-Rock instead.
Attached Images

crffisher likes this.

Last edited by TurbineGuy; 01-17-2018 at 02:30 PM.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 PM
Granite Guru

Update.

Do not get a Rubicon Express coilover kit. Im having issues.

Seriously, if I had a time machine, Id go back two weeks and order a setup from Ryan there at Accuntune.

As it is, Im probably going to have to go to them to get all new springs.

Rory

Quote:
Looking into coilovers on my jk. Iím trying to research coilover kits. Yes, I know some people worship the evo/king set up. Moving on. I know how they work.
Does anyone know how Icon and how Skyjacker mount to the rear? Iím trying to narrow down some choices and without knowing how they do it I canít really choose. I couldnít find install information on either website for front or rear.

post #14 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
Update.

Do not get a Rubicon Express coilover kit. Im having issues.

Seriously, if I had a time machine, Id go back two weeks and order a setup from Ryan there at Accuntune.

As it is, Im probably going to have to go to them to get all new springs.

Rory

Did they not send you correct spring rates?

post #15 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Most of these companies push out a "good enough" kit for those that think they have to have coil overs and don't know what they are doing. People want to run 40's with lcog coil overs and bypasses for the cool factor and never touch the tuning or run correct coil rates. RK, EVO, Rebel all run set up that have 4"-5" of shock up travel with 12"-14" travel shocks which is simply to much shock for the available travel you have to work with. Setting up coil overs is not that big a deal but you should at least know the basics and all you really have to have are some brackets and tires with proper back spacing for clearance. I would say 99% of the people running coil overs would be better off on a coil/shock set up and would save a ton of money. I am not saying coil overs are bad but they are like everything else and if not properly set up the benefit other then the "look at me I have coil over cool factor"

BTW how are coil overs ideal for your build if you don't understand the basics of their set up?

Some build info here:

post #16 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Most of these companies push out a "good enough" kit for those that think they have to have coil overs and don't know what they are doing. People want to run 40's with lcog coil overs and bypasses for the cool factor and never touch the tuning or run correct coil rates. RK, EVO, Rebel all run set up that have 4"-5" of shock up travel with 12"-14" travel shocks which is simply to much shock for the available travel you have to work with. Setting up coil overs is not that big a deal but you should at least know the basics and all you really have to have are some brackets and tires with proper back spacing for clearance. I would say 99% of the people running coil overs would be better off on a coil/shock set up and would save a ton of money. I am not saying coil overs are bad but they are like everything else and if not properly set up the benefit other then the "look at me I have coil over cool factor"

BTW how are coil overs ideal for your build if you don't understand the basics of their set up?

How could I understand their set up if they canít see how itís installed or the angles theyíre running at? Specifically in the rear. Iím more concerned with mounting/angles and if anyone makes a kit that is already engineered so I donít have to. As far as the coilover themselves, thereís no way a box kit is going to work well without tuning. I get that. I think you misunderstood my original question. Iím looking at different mount set ups on account of not having a shop currently to fab and weld myself. I donít typically trust others to do the install work. Iím not asking for build advice, just researching the many kits and deciding if theyíre actually worth the $300-$500 to bolt on or weld on in addition to the coilover cost. Otherwise, Iím sticking to spring/shocks and putting the extra money into tuning those shocks. Iím not made of money so every build decision I make has to be the right one. Thatís why Iím still researching. So far, Iíll have to agree. Most of these kits, especially the bolt ons, are built to a ďgood enoughĒ standard.

post #17 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru

Negative. The spring rates were so out of whack that it was ridiculous. I ended up with a 6" lift with zero preload in the back. (the front is being installed today).

The rates they sent were 550/400 rear 350/350 front

They were completely not helpful on the phone. Basically said FU. Luckily my local shop is good people. They are going to swap out the springs for me for free.

So to reiterate... Rubicon Express Coilovers sucks.

Quote:
Did they not send you correct spring rates?

post #18 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Granite Guru

Yep...when I got this info from Rubicon Express I immediately started looking elsewhere
  • We use 2" fox coilovers with remote reservoirs. They have an extended length of 31.2" and collapsed length of 19.8".
  • Front coils use an upper 10"/350lbs, a helper 2.64" 150lbs, and a lower 14"/350lbs
  • Rear coils use an upper 10"/400lbs, a helper 2.64" 150lbs, and a lower 14"/550lbs

Accutune looks like the best from all my research if you want a simple and effective, well thought out weld in solution

Last edited by aus-jeep; 01-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Granite Guru

Yep... except they didn't include helper springs.

I should of asked like you.

Im a dumb ass.

For google search purposes "Rubicon Express JK Coilover Kit" sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post
Yep...when I got this info from Rubicon Express I immediately started looking elsewhere
  • We use 2" fox coilovers with remote reservoirs. They have an extended length of 31.2" and collapsed length of 19.8".
  • Front coils use an upper 10"/350lbs, a helper 2.64" 150lbs, and a lower 14"/350lbs
  • Rear coils use an upper 10"/400lbs, a helper 2.64" 150lbs, and a lower 14"/550lbs

Accutune looks like the best from all my research if you want a simple and effective, well thought out weld in solution
post #20 of 28 Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Granite Guru

We are going to try out 300/250 front and rear to start out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post

post #21 of 28 Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Those rates seem to be high. Most kits come with something like 250/250 or 250/300 but unless you are getting some accurate weight of the jeeps it is just a guessing game/ Evo uses 250/250 on a dual rate set up which does not make much sense because you end up with just one rate and don't take advantage of the tune ring for hard hits. A 200/300 would give the same overall rate for riding around and give you the extra load handling for the big hits.With the lighter rate coils you should not need the tenders either just longer primary or secondary coils.

With the heavy coils and 6" of lift with no preload what was your up and down travel? Were there any other issues you had as far as brackets fitting and shock clearance with things like bump stop pads, track bar, or sway bars?

Some build info here:

post #22 of 28 Old 01-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Dirtman. I will answer in full a little bit later. For now... here is a photo of it with the stock Rubicon Express Springs. It rides like a jack hammer. We will try the new springs later this week.

Note the rake!

And I appreciate your input. It is helpful.
Attached Images

post #23 of 28 Old 01-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Granite Guru

Well...at least you're going to get sick gas mileage
post #24 of 28 Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Granite Guru

Not sure of up and down travel rates yet. Didn't have time to cycle it.

Notes: I have a pro-rock 44 front, Currie G2 rear 60, so Im not stock. I also have all synergy steering, etc...

There was a relocation mount for the rear sway bar, but all it was was two blocks that sort of moved it down and maybe back a little bit. Didn't like it, so I had it pulled off. Just ordered a Currie rear anti-lock instead.

None of the other trackbars hit so no issues there.

The installer (good friend of mine) wasn't happy with the instructions. Several things were clearly wrong, but it all got figured it out.

I tried to take lots of photos as it sits right now.

Quote:
Those rates seem to be high. Most kits come with something like 250/250 or 250/300 but unless you are getting some accurate weight of the jeeps it is just a guessing game/ Evo uses 250/250 on a dual rate set up which does not make much sense because you end up with just one rate and don't take advantage of the tune ring for hard hits. A 200/300 would give the same overall rate for riding around and give you the extra load handling for the big hits.With the lighter rate coils you should not need the tenders either just longer primary or secondary coils.

With the heavy coils and 6" of lift with no preload what was your up and down travel? Were there any other issues you had as far as brackets fitting and shock clearance with things like bump stop pads, track bar, or sway bars?
Attached Images

post #25 of 28 Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 AM
DJ1
Rock God

I followed Dirtman's advice when I upgraded last summer from an AEV 2.5" setup. His advice being to go with coilovers up front and the standard coil/strut for the rear which I agreed with since you really can't run rear coilovers correctly with the bolt-on setups. It didn't make sense to spend all that extra cash for what amounts to the "bling" factor.

I went with the bolt-on Evo King setup up front with 250/250 and about 1.25" of preload which I'll bring down to 1" if I ever make the time to do it. So right now the rear is sitting a little lower.

For the rear, I went with King 2.5 adjustables paired with AEV 2.5" springs. I also run a Dynatrac XD60 with the large diameter tubes which is why I could get away with using my 2.5" springs but anyone still running stock axles would be fine running a 3.5" spring from a legit mfg. The kings with the triple-rate AEV's are pretty awesome. I've had the AEV springs since 2012 and not a spec of rust on them. They are made well.

It's the best of both worlds really. Great flex up front for hitting the Rubicon trail and great adjustability for daily driving and/or hauling loads.

Approximately 3.25" of lift on 37's. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode