Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Granite Guru

Cool
post #3 of 19 Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Dude.
That is the exact setup I want so I can come out West with the fam and my pig . Ya got a freaking real two car garage , too = hard work begets nice toys. Well done, sir.

ha! I just noticed your sig. do you like Mishimoto?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

Icicles on yer gutters are cool even though you're over them... we don't get them often enough @ 1800' in Norcal. What a shitstorm when we do...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 Old 01-13-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Dude.
That is the exact setup I want so I can come out West with the fam and my pig . Ya got a freaking real two car garage , too = hard work begets nice toys. Well done, sir.

ha! I just noticed your sig. do you like Mishimoto?
i cant take credit for that garage. thats actually my parents place *cry*

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #6 of 19 Old 01-13-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhawg View Post
Icicles on yer gutters are cool even though you're over them... we don't get them often enough @ 1800' in Norcal. What a shitstorm when we do...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
icicles are cool until you have them hanging from your nose hahahah

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #7 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

what year/ model of Cummins powered Ram is that ?

I still have wife onboard with a crew cab pickup as her new vehicle and while the mighty Dodges are her least fav , this model you picture looks perfect . Thanks for letting me know ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

I still have wife onboard with a crew cab pickup as her new vehicle and while the mighty Dodges are her least fav , this model you picture looks perfect . Thanks for letting me know ...

Well looky here.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/sale-n...low-miles.html

Trailer looks good. I really like those ramps. I have a 18' with short little ramps that store under the trailer. The two things I don't like about mine (besides the wood rotting) is the ramps and I wish it was a couple feet longer.

Kevin
post #9 of 19 Old 01-15-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

its a 2017 6.7L with a 6speed manual.

currently adding D-rings onto the trailer since it only came with stake pockets

did half today, hopefully will do the other half tomorrow, or at least get one done before the snow

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #10 of 19 Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

It may be just a d-ring but I aspire to lay as nice looking weld bead as youíve produced in that bottom picture ; Iíd guess you have a nicer welder vs a cheapO . Thems purty !

post #11 of 19 Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

It may be just a d-ring but I aspire to lay as nice looking weld bead as youíve produced in that bottom picture ; Iíd guess you have a nicer welder vs a cheapO . Thems purty !

learn to TIG! these are all TIG welded. first pass is a fusion weld, then i did two fill passes weaving with a lay wire technique.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #12 of 19 Old 01-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Rock God

Do you recall what the platform width of the uhaul trailers is? I'm looking into what it will entail but I can't find specs online.

2009 Deep Water Blue Wrangler Unlimited X
37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on KMC Machetes
Synergy 3" Coils/Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Front/Rear ARB Air lockers
post #13 of 19 Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Scott View Post
Do you recall what the platform width of the uhaul trailers is? I'm looking into what it will entail but I can't find specs online.
i do not recall, but i can tell you that my JK fit perfectly on it if thats your concern

35 x 12.5 with 4.25 back spacing.

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 01-19-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

maiden voyage tomorrow

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #15 of 19 Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
learn to TIG! these are all TIG welded. first pass is a fusion weld, then i did two fill passes weaving with a lay wire technique.

ah.
I could look-up Ďfusion weldí ( does the TIG have to be turned to 1.21 gigawatts to properly lay that first run ?) ,but I do know what youíre speaking about with the laywire technique.
Iím a real layman ( i.e. I can use a stick welder) where intermediate- to - experienced with good welding is concerned. Your information does make me feel one more time like I should question all the advice you read and hear in that someone should not start with TIG if learning to weld more than just big boogers on tractors ...in my mind, if Iím gonna wanna head to that mode of welding anyway , why not go ahead and get a good entry level TIG and be able to weld aluminum and chromemoly to start with ...I donít eanna spend $750 -$1000 on a Handler190 when using it will only result in my wanting to make welds like those you did. Is that nuts ? I guess itís expensive to use tungsten and gas when learning might be a valid reason?
Iím shopping welders and wondered after seeing your strap rings .

:jee2:

(edit: man thatís so cool . I really would like to tow my jeep with a setup like that. Have fun, man!)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-19-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: grammar spelling
post #16 of 19 Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
ah.
I could look-up ‘fusion weld’ ( does the TIG have to be turned to 1.21 gigawatts to properly lay that first run ?) ,but I do know what you’re speaking about with the laywire technique.
I’m a real layman ( i.e. I can use a stick welder) where intermediate- to - experienced with good welding is concerned. Your information does make me feel one more time like I should question all the advice you read and hear in that someone should not start with TIG if learning to weld more than just big boogers on tractors ...in my mind, if I’m gonna wanna head to that more of welding anyway , why not go ahead and get a good entry level TIG and be able to weld aluminum and chromemoly to start with . Is that nuts ? I guess it’s expensive to use tungsten and gas when learning might be a valid reason?
I’m shopping welders and wondered after seeing your strap rings .

:jee2:
stick welding is still a very good technique to learn. i need to get better at stick welding. during the last few rings, it was a bit breezy and i was having a lot of trouble keeping gas coverage with my TIG, i actually whipped out the stick welder for the last few welds.

my stick welds are poor and i refuse to show pictures .

BUT, food for though. You can TIG weld with a stick welder. I run my TIG torch off a power block. basically just running a non conductive hose from the argon tank to a brass "power block" which a stinger clamps onto, then a conductive TIG hose to my torch.

when welding the rings i ran the welder in STICK mode, so you would start the arc by touching the tungsten on the base metal and lifting off.

so DO buy a stick welder and you can learn to TIG as well

not my picture, this is a different setup but achieves the same result

only downside with this is that you lose the function of a pedal and you can only do DC.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 01-19-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-20-2018, 11:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

@j3ff3ry_j33p

If you already have an oxy/acc rig, getting a gas welding tip and some filler rod would be good practice for TIG welding.

TIG welding is the easiest process to perform, because you have the best view of what's going on. Plus, if you need to back up to fix something, you can do it with the arc, without having to add filler if you don't need it. Stick and MIG is always adding filler, so if you back up, you're just welding over what you just laid down. They are very unforgiving is that respect.

With that said.

TIG welding is the hardest process to perform, because it takes both hands doing different things at the same time. The only way to solve that problem is practice and gaining muscle memory.
chknkatsu and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.

Kevin
post #18 of 19 Old 01-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
stick welding is still a very good technique to learn. i need to get better at stick welding. during the last few rings, it was a bit breezy and i was having a lot of trouble keeping gas coverage with my TIG, i actually whipped out the stick welder for the last few welds.

my stick welds are poor and i refuse to show pictures .

BUT, food for though. You can TIG weld with a stick welder. I run my TIG torch off a power block. basically just running a non conductive hose from the argon tank to a brass "power block" which a stinger clamps onto, then a conductive TIG hose to my torch.

when welding the rings i ran the welder in STICK mode, so you would start the arc by touching the tungsten on the base metal and lifting off.

so DO buy a stick welder and you can learn to TIG as well

not my picture, this is a different setup but achieves the same result

only downside with this is that you lose the function of a pedal and you can only do DC.
I really appreciate the info. it's very confusing when wanting to get the right gear to up some skills but you can only spend once &the choices are many . That is very good advice.

post #19 of 19 Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
@j3ff3ry_j33p

If you already have an oxy/acc rig, getting a gas welding tip and some filler rod would be good practice for TIG welding.

TIG welding is the easiest process to perform, because you have the best view of what's going on. Plus, if you need to back up to fix something, you can do it with the arc, without having to add filler if you don't need it. Stick and MIG is always adding filler, so if you back up, you're just welding over what you just laid down. They are very unforgiving is that respect.

With that said.

TIG welding is the hardest process to perform, because it takes both hands doing different things at the same time. The only way to solve that problem is practice and gaining muscle memory.
well said. TIG has a bigger learning curve and requires more muscle memory. but once you learn it, you have the most control out of all the processes. When done correctly, TIG has the smallest HAZ (heat affected zone) out of all the processes. not really a concern for us hobby welders.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 01-22-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode