Clicking or rattling sound from front suspension - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Clicking or rattling sound from front suspension

Hey guys, quick question. I've got a 14 JUL on a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift kit, can't remember the name of the kit, but it came with 4 springs, adjustable front lower control arms, front track bar etc. I'm running 35x12.50 tires on 17" pro comp wheels. I've noticed lately when I'm off pavement at low speeds and getting any minor flex in the front end, I get a clicking noise. When I say of pavement, I mean like driving around a cattle ranch, just moderately bumpy dirt roads, I'm not rock crawling here. At high speed, or on smooth level ground, it doesn't seem to be happening, but on rough roads I can hear the clicking sounds. It sounds like a 30 year old ranch truck with 500k miles when I'm off road, and occasionally I can make it happen when driving in town and I cross a section of rough road. Handling, stability, ride quality all seem fine, no play in the steering wheel, and I can't feel anything loose underneath. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Wheeler

I'd check the shock bolts.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Rock God

See if its your brakes. My brakes front and rear within the last year started making all sorts of awful clanking and rattling noises, I just can't get it to go away so I've mostly given up (after convincing myself beyond any reasonable doubt that it's not a safety issue, of course... it's just the pads jiggling around in the calipers). When it's happening on a bumpy road, if I very lightly keep the brake pedal down (I mean barely at all, literally just enough to engage the pads but no real braking power) all noises completely go away and come right back when I let off the pedal, so it's easy to check if a sound is that at least in my case.

Last time I did brakes I did pads only, hoping next time it'll get better if I do pads + rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

Sway bar ends can cause a clicking sounds too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 21 Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's not the brakes. Could be shock bolts, I'll check those. The only other thing I could come up with is sway bar end links, since it seems to happen when the suspension is flexed.

post #6 of 21 Old 01-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

also look at your front lower control arms at the axle. your upgraded lower arms can wear out the stock mounts(mostly the caster adjustment) . mine were blown out and i got all kinds of clunking and noise while flexing. here's wut mine looked like https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...ise-maker.html
ive also seen the front drive shaft CV joint make some noise . if your front pinion angle is off a little it will couse the upper front CV joint to wear out faster and make some clicking noise . anyways good luck ..

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
post #7 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM
JKowners Vendor

A couple things to look at right off the bat are shock mount bolts and sway bar link bolts. If you don't find it there, give us a call at the shop and we can talk few a few things to find it. You paid good money for a kit, we're going to get you squared away for sure.

Adam C
post #8 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
A couple things to look at right off the bat are shock mount bolts and sway bar link bolts. If you don't find it there, give us a call at the shop and we can talk few a few things to find it. You paid good money for a kit, we're going to get you squared away for sure.

Adam C
Thanks Adam. I'm going to crawl under it tomorrow and see what I can find. The sway bar links are my first place, as they don't torque down like a regular bolt on the end with the disconnect pins, which I don't plan to ever use anyway.

post #9 of 21 Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well, it didn't take long to find the problem, and tick me off in the process. The jam nuts on the track bar were loose. Pulled it off, cleaned the threads the best I could without changing the adjustment, applied a liberal amount of red locktite, clamped it in the vice and tightened the crap out of them. Reinstalled, along with the new steering stabilizer I bought but never installed (it was backordered and came in a week after I installed the lift, haven't had the time to install it since), then took it for a test drive on some relatively rough dirt road with some fairly deep ruts. No more rattling.

Now, as for why it ticks me off:
After I installed the lift kit, I took it the next day to a local shop to have it aligned. I had tightened the jam nuts down pretty tight, but didn't go to full torque, because I knew it would need aligning, so when I took it in, I handed the guy a tube of red locktite and a printout of the required torque specs. When I picked it up a couple hours later, they called me into the shop and down into the pit, showed me the printout from the alignment machine and commented on what a high quality kit it was and that I'd done a great job of installing it. He showed me that the alignment was good as it was and didn't need any adjustments, except a trackbar adjustment, which he didn't do, because the body was less than 1/2" off center, and was the same front and back, and without an adjustable rear trackbar, I wouldn't be able to shift the rear axle over, so it was better for them both to be shifted to one side slightly by the same amount, so he just left it as it was. He also showed me how to adjust it so the steering wheel was centered when driving straight down the road. He handed me back my tube of red locktite, told me I was good to go, and sent me on my way, at least he didn't charge me, since he didn't do any work. But obviously, he didn't torque the lock nuts like I asked either. I went ahead and checked the adjustable lower control arms while I was under there, they were tight as hell, so I didn't jack with them.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 AM
Rock God

So a company gives you a free alignment printout, compliments you, and wastes their time all the while not receiving a penny, and you're "ticked off"? I'm a bit confused; is my comprehension of this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
So a company gives you a free alignment printout, compliments you, and wastes their time all the while not receiving a penny, and you're "ticked off"? I'm a bit confused; is my comprehension of this correct?

He was asked to do several things. He did none of them, but implied that they were either unnecessary, or that he'd done them (torqued the jam nuts), when clearly he didn't. Yeah, I'm a little ticked when I ask someone to do a job, and they don't do it, but tell me I'm good to go, knowing that I'm riding around on a loose suspension. He knew about the adjustable track bar, and he knew it wasn't torqued properly, and I asked him to correct that after aligning the rig. I guess since he didn't align it, he technically never got to that step of my request, but I was under the impression that ask the nuts had been torqued and locktite applied. He obviously torqued the control arms.... seems like he got lazy on the track bar and just didn't want to mess with it.

post #12 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

you realize that , in actuality , you’re the one who ‘got lazy’ on the trackbar - and freakin everything else - when you blame others for your own failures, right?

It’s called self-dependence. If you dont follow up anyone servicing your jeep or anything else with your own diligence and evaluation of whatever they touched, the culpability resides upon you, dude.

All due respect but gripes related to sad , selfish entitlement scenarios won’t get sympathy ‘round these parts.

Check your own shit;don’t expect free to equal quality .

ChuckTheRipper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
you realize that , in actuality , you’re the one who ‘got lazy’ on the trackbar - and freakin everything else - when you blame others for your own failures, right?

It’s called self-dependence. If you dont follow up anyone servicing your jeep or anything else with your own diligence and evaluation of whatever they touched, the culpability resides upon you, dude.

All due respect but gripes related to sad , selfish entitlement scenarios won’t get sympathy ‘round these parts.

Check your own shit;don’t expect free to equal quality .

No, not lazy at all. I intentionally didn't take them all the way to the 200 something or other foot pounds, because I knew it would need an alignment, and figured the alignment tech would appreciate not having to break his back to bust them loose. When I take my vehicle to a shop for service, I expect them to do what I asked them to do, or explain why they can't or won't. If the guy had said, "Hey, I didn't tighten those nuts down because x,y,z." Then fine, I'll take the rig home and do it myself. But when he says, "All done, you're good to go, no charge since it didn't really need an alignment in the first place."..... yeah, I appreciate a free evaluation, and in fact I tried to pay for that (I know the shop's owner quite well.) but he wouldn't let me. But when you say, ALL DONE that implies that you did everything I asked, which he clearly didn't.

Now, as for entitlement mentality, you need to take a step back buddy. You don't know me, nor I you. I'm the farthest thing from an entitled snowflake you'll ever come in contact with, believe me. I simply expect that when I ask for work to be performed, either because I don't have the expertise, the equipment, or more commonly, the time, I expect that it be done, I'll pay for the service and be on my way. Don't tell me you didn't do part of it, because it didn't need it, so you didn't do any of the rest either. Or, if that's the case, and you didn't do any of it, then for crying out loud, let me know so I don't drive around thinking you did it, potentially damaging my vehicle, causing a wreck, hurting someone etc. The truth is, the trip to the shop actually did cost me considerable money, since I wasted my time that afternoon, time that I could have, and would have, been working.

I asked for no sympathy, nor did I expect any. I was merely venting some frustrations.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Wheeler

Hope it didn't take away too much time from your important work for you to defend yourself on the internet and try convince people you're not a snowflake.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeslav View Post
Hope it didn't take away too much time from your important work for you to defend yourself on the internet and try convince people you're not a snowflake.
Nope, today is my day off for the week, but only because it's a holiday, otherwise, this would have been a 7 day work week. I'll still put in 96 hours from yesterday to Saturday.

post #16 of 21 Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Rock God

I promise you, you're not that important.
You are the absolute epitome of a snowflake.
I mean, could there be a more self-entitled statement?
Holy fuck.

post #17 of 21 Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
I promise you, you're not that important.
You are the absolute epitome of a snowflake.
I mean, could there be a more self-entitled statement?
Holy fuck.

right?

The kicker being that part of that entitlement mentality is the utter and absolute denial that the behavior IS so self-entitled.

Anyway,

Moral for OP would be , FREE or PAID Service performed by anyone on someone’s jeep does not eliminate the owner/operator responsibility to double check whatever work was done. This is a habit everyone should be accustomed to and practicing , regardless of whatever service or work you’ve had done upon a vehicle.
It’s your/family’s/pssngr’s lives at stake and thus, is ultimately your responsibility to check...no matter the “agreement “
end of story.

ChuckTheRipper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-16-2018 at 06:46 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You guys are something else. You honestly believe that when you take your vehicle, or anything really, to a professional, that you should have to go back over and recheck his work? Screw that, he's a professional mechanic. Besides, it's literally impossible to check if he torqued those nuts down without removing the track bar. Glad I'll never have to use you guys for any type of service, since you obviously believe that it's okay to just not do something you were asked to do, since it's the customer's responsibility to go behind you and verify. Do you also go behind your doctor and second guess his work?

As far as my importance, you're right, there are others who could do what I do, but few are willing to put in the hours and my employer would rather pay me OT than hire another guy. I worked a 24 hour shift on Sunday, then took Monday off for the holiday, then 8 hours yesterday, 24 hours again today, I'll work 8 tomorrow and Friday, then another 24 on Saturday. Admittedly, this is a long week for me, but even my shortest weeks are 72 hours.

post #19 of 21 Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Rock God

How many hours you work has basically nothing to do with anything being discussed in this thread. My only thought there is you should probably try to get a job where you can sleep and have a life because working 24 hour shifts will literally kill you over time.

Did you tell the person "I didn't tighten my jam nuts and drove it here anyways, so even if you do nothing I still want you to tighten the nuts"? Anything less and it'd be illogical for them to tighten them. If I were that shop, I would absolutely assume I don't have to do it if I don't loosen the nuts because clearly if you drove it there you tightened the nuts. If you gave a tube of loctite and torque specs and said "tighten the nuts", I would not tighten them if I didn't loosen them.

But I will agree that you shouldn't in general be expected to check a mechanic's work. 99% of people don't know how, they're all irresponsible vehicle owners? This is a weird case though where you expected service that is not implied.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
How many hours you work has basically nothing to do with anything being discussed in this thread. My only thought there is you should probably try to get a job where you can sleep and have a life because working 24 hour shifts will literally kill you over time.

Did you tell the person "I didn't tighten my jam nuts and drove it here anyways, so even if you do nothing I still want you to tighten the nuts"? Anything less and it'd be illogical for them to tighten them. If I were that shop, I would absolutely assume I don't have to do it if I don't loosen the nuts because clearly if you drove it there you tightened the nuts. If you gave a tube of loctite and torque specs and said "tighten the nuts", I would not tighten them if I didn't loosen them.

But I will agree that you shouldn't in general be expected to check a mechanic's work. 99% of people don't know how, they're all irresponsible vehicle owners? This is a weird case though where you expected service that is not implied.
Yes, I specifically stated that the jam nuts were not torqued to spec, and I didn't apply the locktite, because I knew he'd have to loosen them to adjust them. I gave him the specs and identified the 4 nuts that needed torquing, one on each end of the track bar, and one on the ends of each lower control arm. He even said, "Sure, no problem." On the work order, it distinctly said, "alignment and torque jam nuts to spec on attached printout" and I stood there while the boss told him what needed to be done, then I explained exactly what needed to be done and why.

In retrospect, maybe he got lazy, maybe he just forgot, I don't know. What I do know, is that I requested two separate services and got neither. The fact that he didn't charge me, with the shop owner being a friend of mine, was at the time just a pleasant and unexpected surprise. Again, I would still be frustrated if he had not done what was asked, but told me he didn't do it.... I'm really not THAT aggravated that it didn't get done, more so that I was led to believe that it was done when it wasn't. Any I gong to go back and bitch and try to get him fired? Of course not, he's a good dude and he's done work on my vehicles in the past, he made a mistake, thats all. If it makes me an entitled snowflake to be irritated when I ask someone to do something, who's job it is to do that sort of thing, and the don't do it, but imply that it was done, then I guess every supervisor on the planet is a snowflake..... go figure.

post #21 of 21 Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't know, kinda sounds like the expectation of the nuts being torqued was there. What it does sound like, was some miscommunication at the end.

Oh well, it's fixed now.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode