River Raider complete skid install notes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

River Raider complete skid install notes

Well the install went great. I had the basic instructions that come with the skids from River Raider and also had a copy of Gil Fortin's write up (on the JKO home page). Both made the install go pretty smooth.

Every install has it's own little tweaks, so I will share a few points from my install...

Inventoried the hardware - it was dead on. Nice stuff too.

Started front to back with the oil skid, at first we had the tranny lines on the inside of the oil pan skid and saw that wouldn't work. Then we checked Gil's writeup and saw the tranny lines go on the outside.

Had to slightly bend (tweak) the oil pan skid to get it to fit better and so we could get the spacers behind the skid. Then it went right on. Remember to install the tranny line beackets before you put the bolt in on the front driver side!

Next, before you put up the transmission skid, I would install the bolt through the hole that is used in connect the oil pan skid to the tranny skid. Once the tranny skid is up, I couldn't get the bolt in because the oil plan was in the way. So I had to put the bolt in from the rear with the nut facing the skid. I left it this way since the bolt doesn't stick out that far.
It's nice to have the triangle access to the oil plug, but it looks like the skid is going to a little oily when I change oil. There is a 1/8th"-1/16th gap between the oil pan skid and the tranny skid, so that should allow any oil that get up there to drip out.

The transfer case skid went in flawlessly. I'm happy because everthing seems to lining up pretty well.

The instructions say you may have to trim the RR gas tank skid. Instead, we trimmed the stock skid. We trimmed the stock skid right under the passenger rear door (took about an inch off the top, and also on the inside on of gas tank skid (drivers side), we trimmed the stock skid where the second to last bracket goes in.

We trimmed a small section of the RR skid on the passenger side because it rubbing against the lower control arm bracket.
We hit the stock gas skid a few times with a hammer to get the RR skid to install all the way up.

My stock gas tank skid was already a little banged up in the front where the cross member attaches. The dealer would always give me crap about this. One of the bolts was mangled, so I pulled it off with some vice grips. Swapped it with a bolt from the stock skids. I think these are the only two stock bolts that used.
Anyway, that dented up area was my biggest worry pre-install, but turned out not to be an issue. The dent probably helped the fit, maybe not, but it didn't hurt me!

If anyone had done alot of damage to their cross member before an install, the would probably have install problems, and need a new cross member to make all of the pieces fit.

Other than a few expected cuts here and there the kit lined up amazingly well! It was easy talking with the people at River Raider before the install. I had a few questions and they had no problem going over my questions.

Now I'm ready to roll! Thanks Gil and River Raider!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn nice...

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice! Now get some control arms skids under there before you tear those brackets off....

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

So impressive... You'll love your RROR skidz, and you'll have 1000% more confidence when you take your daily driver over razor sharp rocks!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #5 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks - They were my B-day gift. I'm psyched about going out on some new runs now. I go quail hunting once in a while by myself, and we wheel alone once in a while, so I like the extra protection. After I lifted it, I had to pull the stock tranny skid, so the oil pan and tranny have been vulnerable and made me nervous in some areas. Both stock skids had some serious hits, so I would always be a lil concerned with my small tires and all.

X-defector, yeh I've been thinking of protecting the control arm skids as well. Do you recommend any specific mfr? I already have a poison spyder skid for the air box. Some control arm skids and diff skids and I will be good in the armor department.

My stock tires are almost worn out, so can't wait to get some bigger tires. Maybe for Christmas.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 AM
Granite Guru

Gettin ready to install mine thanks for the tips !!

Tear It Up - Fix It - And Do It Again !!
post #7 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Install Time

How long did this install take? Thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Give yourself a day... the gas tank skid is what will take the longest. We were doing other stuff too so not sure exactly how long the skids took... plus I hammered out and painted the stock gas skid as well.

It would be nice to have an extra set of hands as well... that or a couple of jacks to hold things in place while you start the bolts...
post #9 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

I bought one of these for the oil pan drain. I learned in a hurry that changing the oil with an engine/trans skid in place makes a HUGE mess.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...ductCode=F106N

2009 4 Door Rubicon. 2.5" Teraflex Lift. XRC10 Winch on Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper. Armor: Skid Row Offroad Engine/Trans Skid. Skid Row front skid. Poison Spyder Evap Skid. Rockhard 4x4 Fuel Tank Skid. Rugged Ridge Control Arm Skids. Superchips Flashpaq Tuner. KC Slimlights on KC windshield brackets. Uniden Pro 520 CB radio on Quadratec Bracket. 35x12.5x17 Goodyear Duractracs. ACE Rock Sliders. Riddler Diff Covers.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Goat View Post
I bought one of these for the oil pan drain. I learned in a hurry that changing the oil with an engine/trans skid in place makes a HUGE mess.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...ductCode=F106N
Good tip!!!

I have one to swap in when I change my oil next time.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

How did you do the cutting that was needed?

Good tip on the oil drain valve!

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #12 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I cut mine with a plasma torch.... that was ONLY because the Poly LA kit was in the way. I just notched the skid so both would work together.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Wheeler

nice write up. I just installed my River Raider skids over the weekend and used your post as well as the write up on the home page for reference.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Rock God

Nice write-up!!! I can't wait to get a set of the RROR skidplates!!!
(I am not going to wheel my JKU until I get a set on it!)
post #15 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Granite Guru

Reading your write up brought back memories of my install

My oil pan skid/trans pan bolt is backwards too. Install went well though and I have total confidence in the RROR system. Have not needed it yet but I actually look forward to the day I drop down on it and can laugh it off.

I'm in Phx so you should give me a PM next time you are headed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode