Electric Motors Gurus? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Electric Motors Gurus?

Anyone on here an expert on 12V electric motors?

I have a York air compressor that is currently run off my serpentine system but things maybe changing soon and I am looking into the feasibility of running it off an electric motor. Oasis compressors are essentially electric driven Yorks but they cost more than their weight in gold so Im wondering what it would take to convert mine over.

High level, I need a compact (small as possible ideally) 12V electric motor that has 100% duty cycle at ~5K rpm. I believe the York has a max rpm of 6K so figure this would be a good rpm to be at or is that too high? On the sepentine system, it only runs at ~800 rpm so maybe 5K is high but I definitely want to spin it faster. Filling 40s sucks no matter what.

Cant find the rpm on Oasis's site but hp figures vary from 2.2 to 5 depending on which part of the page you read.

There are several really good machine shops local to me that can make an adapter to get the motor working with the pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

https://www.cuoffroad.com/app/downlo...l+7-15-17.docx

"COMPRESSOR SPEED
You should always run the compressor at the slowest rpm possible to get the job done. What that means is, airing up your tires should be done at idle, unless you are in a hurry and need to go faster. At idle, the compressor puts out approximately 3-4 cfm which will air up a 35/12.50/15 tire from 10 psi to 30 psi in approximately 30-40 seconds. If a higher speed is needed install a hand throttle or similar devise to hold the rpm higher. We do not recommend sustained use above 2000 rpm. The output isnít much better and it will result in excessive compressor heat. Keep the continuous use of rpm at 2000 or below.
Short runs above 2000 rpm are OK for instance, when the compressor engages while driving so it can top off the air tank. Most air impact guns can be run at anywhere from idle to 2000 rpm while smaller tools like a die grinder or air ratchet will require a higher sustained rpm around 1500-1700. You will need to test your individual tools to determine their requirements."

The thread below has quite a bit of information and links to other similar projects.
Winch motor to York compressor build

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #3 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Granite Guru

many years ago I welded a starter motor to a York and juiced it up. worked ok but nothing like a engine driven set up
just get a pulley that has the serpentine and the v groove. then run the York to where it fits. The TJ York kits for the 97-99 4.0 (i.e. kilby) worked like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannarun View Post
The thread below has quite a bit of information and links to other similar projects.
Winch motor to York compressor build
Interesting read. Makes it sounds like a much more daunting task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive View Post
many years ago I welded a starter motor to a York and juiced it up. worked ok but nothing like a engine driven set up
just get a pulley that has the serpentine and the v groove. then run the York to where it fits. The TJ York kits for the 97-99 4.0 (i.e. kilby) worked like that.
Thats the problem. I dont think there will be room for the York in the new set up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Rock God

Most electric motors are around 1700 rpm .then when you add the compressor drag I would say you might be around 1000 rpm .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode