ARB, sPod, CO2 ideas and options. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ARB, sPod, CO2 ideas and options.

With installing new axles with lockers on my '13 JKU I will end up with front and rear ARB lockers and they will come with the basic compressor.

I had been looking at upgrading the compressor to the ARB twin package deal (compressor, mount, hoses, inflation gauge, etc.). With looking at the price of the ARB twin package I have begun to really contemplate a couple of options if I look at spending that amount.

Option A: Buy the ARB twin package.

Option B: Buy a new 8 switch sPod as mine is only 6 and I currently use 4. With adding the compressor with front/rear lockers I would end up with 7 switches. With this option, I could transfer my current 6 switch model over to my Dad's JK. I could also look at just using the ARB unit that is coming with the axles and look at CO2 for tires. The CO2 would have the advantage of being portable.

Thoughts/opinion on this? Which option and why?

Also, if looking at getting an 8 switch sPod would you go with switched panel or the touch screen? Which one and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Unless $$$ no object, the cost of CO2 refills in your area should be considered in your thoughts. I have been using a 15lb CO2 tank for 4-5 years now and want to switch to the twin compressor (replace my current standard locker compressor) when the funds permit. Storage is tight in my jeep when on trail and the tank takes up too much room imo as well. From a cost point, the local fill place was $25, over time it increased to $32 and now on my last fill it jumped to $56. Screw that. Forcing me to go alternative route and am using my "backup" 5.65 CFM portable compressor currently. (There is a cheaper fill place, but it's 50 miles round trip away).

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Rock God

Not just cost, but there's the time and effort to fill up CO2 tanks. Not a chance I'd go down that route. The only possible advantage I see is that it's a little less likely to fail, but your regulator could fail or the valves could freeze up if extremely cold so even CO2 isn't perfectly reliable.

I'd go for the twin compressor, and not spend any money on a bigger SPOD, just wire the locker switches somewhere else on your dash. Unless you're really into high tech flawlessly perfect dashboards, you'll be so much happier with twin compressor + 6 SPOD with an extra locker switch, versus single comrpessor + 8 SPOD.

The twin compressor is really awesome. I aired up faster than someone with an engine driven york compressor yesterday. It's also rock solid. I'd estimate I've aired up from single-digit PSI to street pressure between 250 and 500 times and it still works like it's new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 AM
Rock God

I also just made the switch , ran a nitrogen bottle for years and just got tired of the refill process.
Not to mention the room it takes up .
I got a hell of a deal on a twin and put it under the seat. It's not as fast as my tank but I never run out anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sounds like upgrading to the ARB twin may be the way to go.

Any thoughts on the sPod in regards to touch screen versus switches? I know the switches are tried and true. Additionally, if a switch goes out you have the others in lieu of a screen going out and have all options down. However, touch screens have come a long way and the features/options on it are pretty neat.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I guess I could throw out the option of another 8 switch system that may be available in lieu of the sPod.

What do you all like best and why? sPod, Strike Force Zebra, Painless, Apollointech, STech, other?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Rock God

I use the switch Pro and am happy with it .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #8 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Rock God

No way I'd put in a touch screen, that's just completely pointless tech that can break. I just wire everything directly myself. Less that can go wrong, less weight, less space used up in the engine bay, just better all around in my opinion. Keep it simple. If you're going to use a system like sPod, I'd definitely keep it to mechanical switches. Screens fail, and there's also a bunch of support chips and probably an extra processor to run that screen that could all also fail.

ARB compressor/lockers come with all the wiring harnesses and switches you need to setup the whole system so I honestly don't see any point in upgrading your sPod just to get the locker switches on that part of the dashboard...
post #9 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
No way I'd put in a touch screen, that's just completely pointless tech that can break. I just wire everything directly myself. Less that can go wrong, less weight, less space used up in the engine bay, just better all around in my opinion. Keep it simple. If you're going to use a system like sPod, I'd definitely keep it to mechanical switches. Screens fail, and there's also a bunch of support chips and probably an extra processor to run that screen that could all also fail.

ARB compressor/lockers come with all the wiring harnesses and switches you need to setup the whole system so I honestly don't see any point in upgrading your sPod just to get the locker switches on that part of the dashboard...

But touch screens are sOoOo cOoOol brOoOoOo!!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You don't have to use electricity to actuate your air lockers.

https://www.polyperformance.com/powe...-toggle-valves

Only need 1 switch to turn on the compressor. Like anything electrical, things can fail, even elect solenoids.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode