Borla Exhaust 2013 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Borla Exhaust 2013 JK

Just finished installing the Borla JK exhaust and it makes a bigger difference than I had hoped for. Only thing I did different from the easy to follow instructions (you don't really need them) was to speed the old exhaust removal with an air saw. Not only is it easier but it now fits in my garbage can and saves me a trip to the dump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Difference in what way? It adds near zero power especially without an intake and software that advances your ignition timing for 91 or higher fuel. And it hangs too low if you are a rock crawler. I had both their rock crawler exhaust and the dual can exhaust on my vehicle. They both droned like crazy, even the quieter one. Fortunately, Boral refunded me for one and Amazon refunded me for the other.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-21-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Difference in what way? It adds near zero power especially without an intake and software that advances your ignition timing for 91 or higher fuel. And it hangs too low if you are a rock crawler. I had both their rock crawler exhaust and the dual can exhaust on my vehicle. They both droned like crazy, even the quieter one. Fortunately, Boral refunded me for one and Amazon refunded me for the other.
Low end torque is much better than stock. The one I have moved everything back and tucks up and in tight. The skid plate covers the cross over now and I can now lift it higher than 2.5 without having to deal with the exhaust again. Mine is just a little louder than stock and I didn't notice a drone at freeway speeds.

Not sure what caused your problems and probably never will since I'm not setup for crawling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-22-2017, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschefer View Post
Low end torque is much better than stock. The one I have moved everything back and tucks up and in tight. The skid plate covers the cross over now and I can now lift it higher than 2.5 without having to deal with the exhaust again. Mine is just a little louder than stock and I didn't notice a drone at freeway speeds.

Not sure what caused your problems and probably never will since I'm not setup for crawling.
You dyoned it? I doubt you got 5 rwhp at redline let alone anything at the low end.

Personally, I find (and like) that a freer flowing exhaust and intake will make the engine feel more responsive especially if you have a manual transmission. I have them and do not regret these modifications FWIW. Just no HP unless you get a tuner and higher octane fuel.

If you want to make power then you need to get a tuner that will advance your ignition timing and require you to run 91 octane or higher gas. Do this on top of the intake and exhaust and you will be making some HP that should be reflected on a dyno.

Anyway, the stock exhaust is already stainless steal and already has mandrel bends except for that flat spot near the curve by the rear axle. The pre-silencer is also straight through just like the pre silencer in the Borla.

The front section of the stock exhaust is already pretty well tucked up into the frame so IMHO the argument that the new exhaust provides more clearance is almost moot.

The only restrictive part of the stock exhaust is the muffler itself and even that is questionable. Granted, it is not a straight through design and you will feel a difference in responsiveness once removed.

The Borla muffler on the system that has a pre-silencer still hangs down nearly as low as the stock muffler.

On both the two silencer models as well as Borla's "rock crawler" exhaust which is straight back and has just one can, they make the shiny chrome tips stick out prominently from under the rear bumper. I kept smacking mine up in the trail - more so than the stock exhaust.

Me, I am a crawler so need all the space and clearance that I can get and have already ruined a couple of exhaust systems, the Borla being the easiest to destroy because of how low the muffler and tailpipe hang.

The exhaust that I run is the Flowmaster HP2 and that one does tuck up slightly more than the stock exhaust and others. The tail pipe is also pretty well tucked up under and it took a lot of effort before I finally knocked the tailpipe slightly out of round on the Rubicon - but not oval or smashed flat like you see on a lot of other jeeps that heave seen some trail time.

Muffler makes next to no difference. Placebo.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 12-22-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-22-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
You dyoned it? I doubt you got 5 rwhp at redline let alone anything at the low end.

Personally, I find (and like) that a freer flowing exhaust and intake will make the engine feel more responsive especially if you have a manual transmission. I have them and do not regret these modifications FWIW. Just no HP unless you get a tuner and higher octane fuel.

If you want to make power then you need to get a tuner that will advance your ignition timing and require you to run 91 octane or higher gas. Do this on top of the intake and exhaust and you will be making some HP that should be reflected on a dyno.

Anyway, the stock exhaust is already stainless steal and already has mandrel bends except for that flat spot near the curve by the rear axle. The pre-silencer is also straight through just like the pre silencer in the Borla.

The front section of the stock exhaust is already pretty well tucked up into the frame so IMHO the argument that the new exhaust provides more clearance is almost moot.

The only restrictive part of the stock exhaust is the muffler itself and even that is questionable. Granted, it is not a straight through design and you will feel a difference in responsiveness once removed.

The Borla muffler on the system that has a pre-silencer still hangs down nearly as low as the stock muffler.

On both the two silencer models as well as Borla's "rock crawler" exhaust which is straight back and has just one can, they make the shiny chrome tips stick out prominently from under the rear bumper. I kept smacking mine up in the trail - more so than the stock exhaust.

Me, I am a crawler so need all the space and clearance that I can get and have already ruined a couple of exhaust systems, the Borla being the easiest to destroy because of how low the muffler and tailpipe hang.

The exhaust that I run is the Flowmaster HP2 and that one does tuck up slightly more than the stock exhaust and others. The tail pipe is also pretty well tucked up under and it took a lot of effort before I finally knocked the tailpipe slightly out of round on the Rubicon - but not oval or smashed flat like you see on a lot of other jeeps that heave seen some trail time.

Muffler makes next to no difference. Placebo.
No Dyno.. One muffler, no resonator.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Cool. Thanks for the pics.

That looks a lot like the "aggressive" "crawler" system that I first had. It also looks like they changed the design and shortened the tail pipe. On mine, that (apparently the same) system went all the way to the rear bumper versus just dumping after the axle.

When I had that (or a similar Borla), I had a look through the muffler. Despite how long the can is, the perforate 2.5" tube running through it had minimal perforations and the perforations did not run down the entire length of tube inside the can like other similar designs do. In my tiny brain, I figured this was what contributed to the heavy droning and loud sound that this particular exhaust has. Maybe yours is different but my HP claims (or lack thereof) still stand.

I don't remember anymore but the one I had may have actually run 3" tubing versus the 2.5" tubing. That right there will rob you of exhaust velocity and low end torque.

Do I spy a loop delete in your pics? Sorry, man. Not a fan of that either. I play on the rocks and have not damaged my stock loop yet. Also not a fan of modifying the stock Y Pipe in general. Not sure how you can improve on that equal length design without ruining it even slightly. Already mandrel bent. Already stainless. Already "tuned" in their lengths. Borla's collector alone has not been dyoned so it is not even clear that changing the collector has any affect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode