Lockers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lockers

I've found that i need locker for my X after my last wheeling experiance. I looking at either the eaton or the aburn e- lockers. Im gonna run 4.88 gears. Anyone have any experiance with either of these set ups?

09 X 3.5 rubi express on 35" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckanut105 View Post
I've found that i need locker for my X after my last wheeling experiance. I looking at either the eaton or the aburn e- lockers. Im gonna run 4.88 gears. Anyone have any experiance with either of these set ups?
Stay away from the Auburn ECTED unit. It is not known for reliability and has clutch plates that wear out. The Eaton unit is good to go. I have used mine in the rear of my little X with good results. Also consider an ARB if you would like to run onboard air.
post #3 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Blah.... go Detroit or go home!

Although... I was pretty impressed seeing you wheel open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Stay away from the Auburn ECTED unit. It is not known for reliability and has clutch plates that wear out. The Eaton unit is good to go. I have used mine in the rear of my little X with good results. Also consider an ARB if you would like to run onboard air.
That sucks i likes the Idea of having a posi. I didnt know that i could get an ARB with stock axels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Blah.... go Detroit or go home!

Although... I was pretty impressed seeing you wheel open.
Detroit no. I have had detroits before and always wanted to be able to turn it off when im on the street. As far as my wheeling ablity goes ya your just jelous of my skills.

post #5 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

Search for Dynatracs comments on lockers, (or message him), lots of good info. Very very favorable reviews of the eaton Elocker for the 30, and you don't have to mess with compressors and air lines.

Here is an excerpt from one of Dyna's posts:
Quote:
The Eaton ELocker is right up there with ARB with their Dana 30 (and 35) model but the ELocker has an edge due to its 12V actuation. Testing has shown the ELocker to be equal to ARB in strength and ease of actuation.

In the selectable locker catagory the ARB and the Dana 30 ELockers are the best options.
For the rear, Dyna does not have a high opinion of the D44 Elocker, so maybe look at something else...

And Dyna's opinion on the ected while I have that one open:

Quote:
The Auburn Ected looks great on paper but the actual function is poor when compared to the others. This unit is based on a clutch driven limited slip design and doesn't truly 'lock'. When 'locked', extra pressure is given to the clutches and it will act locked unless there is enough engine torque and traction to overcome the clutch pressure. Additionally, over time, the clutches will wear and lock up will be even less effective. If that wasn't bad enough, the internal side gear design has very little axle spline engagement in the LSD mode and axle shafts have been getting the splines stripped. Auburn is working on a new Ected model that is said to address these issues.

Last edited by GreenJK; 09-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
post #6 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Detroit no. I have had detroits before and always wanted to be able to turn it off when im on the street. As far as my wheeling ablity goes ya your just jelous of my skills.
I am jealous of the skills guys rolling around in H2s have... so don't feel special.

Why are worried about turning it off? The Detroit is bulletproof and you never have to worry about turning it on or off.
post #7 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I am jealous of the skills guys rolling around in H2s have... so don't feel special.

Why are worried about turning it off? The Detroit is bulletproof and you never have to worry about turning it on or off.
Yes but every ride that i have ridden in with a detroit you can tell its there even when its unlocked. And try driving in the snow lol

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Yes but every ride that i have ridden in with a detroit you can tell its there even when its unlocked. And try driving in the snow lol
I think the snow issue is over played.... but yes, it can be an issue. The OP lives where there is no snow, so it's not really an issue.

The new soft locker is mostly seamless, an occasional pop, but not often. I have Detroits in my CJ and have had them in many other vehicles from the past and can't tell they are there.
post #9 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Run Detroits and call it a day. I have Detroits front and rear and have ZERO issues driving on the street.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #10 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
Run Detroits and call it a day. I have Detroits front and rear and have ZERO issues driving on the street.
I'll be doing the same, at 60s time. Why rely on switches and hoses???
post #11 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Rock God

ok so who knows of a lunch box locker for the rear jk d44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #12 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

I can be no help on what to choose but i hear you on the NEED for lockers. The lack of l of lockers recently led to a near death experience. They are a must for the jeep owner that does real wheeling. I almost flipped my rig...long story. Basically got too big for my britches. let us know what you decide and how it works. I will be looking to re gear and add lockers in the spring. Im leaning towards detroit lockers for the simpicity of the product, no air etc. These are the posts i follow because i am in the same situation. Good luck

George, P.I.
post #13 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Rock God

I keep it simple and stout. Detroits.

I don't want to rely on switches, relays, hoses, clutches, compressors, connectors, yada yada yada.

I know it's locked, and that's that.

Don't go with a lunchbox. It does "act" like a Detroit, but, eventually you're case will spread and the lunchbox will fail. Or, the lunchbox itself will fail. I have seen TOO many lunchboxes grenade. I've seen TOO many ARBs not engage due to air problems (ie. broken lines, compressor not going on, etc. I was opted to run a Spartan up front and a Detroit in the rear. Before even installing the thing, the Spartan locker's case tolerance was too tight. Tried saving $250 and the thing wasn't even installed yet and had problems. Went with a full case locker, a Detroit.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

NOVA4x4

Quote:
post #14 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK I might put a detroit out back. I dont know ill have to check the pricing. Ive driving in the snow with a detroit and well let just say that was "fun". Yes I dont like in the snow but I do snow board and hunt so snow is going to be ever present and besides its a jeep who knows where i want to take it. Any word on the OX lockers I know they had a bad rep for awhile.

Last edited by chuckanut105; 09-16-2010 at 05:16 PM.
post #15 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
The new soft locker is mostly seamless, an occasional pop, but not often. I have Detroits in my CJ and have had them in many other vehicles from the past and can't tell they are there.
If you love detroits so much then why dont you have them? Ill buy your lockers.

post #16 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

click BANG pow click click click click "WOAH"

what you hear and then say as your rig understeers on on ramps and then oversteers when you get off the gas (with a rear detroit).

i like detroits, but given the option i go selectable all day... after wheeling a rig with detroits front and rear and wheeling my rig now with ARB, ARB hands down is the way to go (or selectable). no more crappy turning radius, no more funny handling (although LWB like an unlimited negates some of the on road handling issues)

also, the rear tire wear with a detroit is pretty bad. i was suprised how fast i started burning through tires being locked in the back.

good luck with whatever you buy. keep in mind detroits aren't indestructible. they don't do well with shock loads at all. lots of people break front D60 detroits when their hubs break.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #17 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
If you love detroits so much then why dont you have them? Ill buy your lockers.
Does Detroit make a locker that fits in a rubi axle?
post #18 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Rock God

No. Only option is the ARB 35-spline unit.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

NOVA4x4

Quote:
post #19 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
No. Only option is the ARB 35-spline unit.
thats why im probally gonna go with the e-lockers just for compatability.

post #20 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 06:08 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
thats why im probally gonna go with the e-lockers just for compatability.
You have the little one up front, right? There might be more options for you than me.
post #21 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No cause if i get seletables i then have an excuse to get 12volt guys switch pod

post #22 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
No cause if i get seletables i then have an excuse to get 12volt guys switch pod
I kinda like my sPod... much prettier in my opinion.
post #23 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

I am also getting ready to regear my rig to 5.13 and want to add lockers. I am looking at the Eaton E-lockers but am going to look at the detroit also.

As far as lunch box lockers go I have read that they are not recomended for anyone running over 33" tires and even then they will be worn out in a year or so.

2014 JK Anvil
"If You Don't Stand For Something, You'll Fall For Anything"
post #24 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I kinda like my sPod... much prettier in my opinion.
No the craftsmanship that goes in to 12voltguys stuff it what i like. The S-pod is just a chunk of plastic with some switches. Sorry just my thoughts. Plus i can get it set up how i want it like burger king.

post #25 of 61 Old 09-16-2010, 10:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
As far as lunch box lockers go I have read that they are not recomended for anyone running over 33" tires and even then they will be worn out in a year or so.
what crackhead told you that? i beat the PISS out of my D44 lockrite with 38" tires and it never broke.

whoever told you that is full of shit. the worst thing you'll have to do is go through the springs and pins when they wear out. it's like 8 bucks.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode