Source For Shouldered Track Bar Bolt? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Source For Shouldered Track Bar Bolt?

I'd like to replace the OEM track bar bolts on my JK with proper flanged head shouldered bolts. AS has been pointed out a few times on the Forum, Jeeps OEM bolts aren't shouldered and contribute to the process of ovaling out the mounting holes. Started searching online for M14 10.9 grade shouldered bolts and came up fairly blank. Anyone have an idea for a source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Have you tried Fastenal?

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

a little drilling and a 9/16 will fit plus you will have better luck finding a bolt with more shoulder. buy the bolt longer than what you need and cut it, this will allow you to have a shoulder all the way through the bracket and just use a thick washer to allow for proper tightening.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Wheeler

Mc Master Carr. They have EVERYTHING, known to man.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well, found a shouldered bolt at the local Ace Hardware store that may work fine. Grade 10.9 M14x80mm, but coarse thread and no flanged head. Was able to get a flanged headed nut for it, but not with interference thread. I'll give it a go and see how it works.

If you take a close look at the frame bracket hole, the threads on the OEM bolt act like a file on it. Easy to see how the hole gets wallowed out.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I used one of these bolts. Threads galled and I had to cut the damn thing off. Not fun. I advise fine threaded bolt. McMaster Car suggestion was good. But they do not seem to have a any M14 bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Well, found a shouldered bolt at the local Ace Hardware store that may work fine. Grade 10.9 M14x80mm, but coarse thread and no flanged head. Was able to get a flanged headed nut for it, but not with interference thread. I'll give it a go and see how it works.

If you take a close look at the frame bracket hole, the threads on the OEM bolt act like a file on it. Easy to see how the hole gets wallowed out.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm01 View Post
I used one of these bolts. Threads galled and I had to cut the damn thing off. Not fun. I advise fine threaded bolt. McMaster Car suggestion was good. But they do not seem to have a any M14 bolts?
Thanks for the tipoff. I was concerned about the thread pitch, so with your experience perhaps I shouldn't try it.

Any of the usual sources, McMaster-Carr, Fastenall, etc., either don't have M14 bolts, or don't have ones that have all the attributes needed, which are M14x80, grade 10.9, flanged head, shouldered, fine thread. They'll have maybe one or two, that's it. Perhaps the tip to drill out to 9/16s is the only answer.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Another solution.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I'd like to replace the OEM track bar bolts on my JK with proper flanged head shouldered bolts. AS has been pointed out a few times on the Forum, Jeeps OEM bolts aren't shouldered and contribute to the process of ovaling out the mounting holes. Started searching online for M14 10.9 grade shouldered bolts and came up fairly blank. Anyone have an idea for a source?
Bodyguy is right a 9/16th shouldered bolt fits, a little work is sometimes needed depending on the type of joint. i can confirm the following JKS track bars and control arms fit a 9/16th with no modifications, Rk arms and track bars require clearancing on the heim joint end, but fit just fine on the poly bushing end. for the washer on both ends i used a 1/2" grade 8 which fits on a 9/16th bolt nice and snug. finish off with a top lock nut and you are good to go. All of this can be picked up at fastenal.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Wow placed an order for this like 3 hours ago and it's already shipped w/correct tracking!!!! Great Service
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDodge View Post
Wow placed an order for this like 3 hours ago and it's already shipped w/correct tracking!!!! Great Service
That's how we do it dude..... Thanks for the order.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode