RIPP HEADERS or RIPP SC - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

RIPP HEADERS or RIPP SC

I am considering installing the RIPP GEN 2 SC. But I am going to wait a little before jumping on something new.

I have been advised that the RIPP Headers are awesome and add siginificant amount of low end power.

Can you install both headers and SC together?

Want to hear from people with experience with both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Rock God

Headers always go hand in hand with blowers, when you force the air in you gotta get the spent gas out just as fast. I haven't driven a blown jk yet but do have experience with blowers.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
Headers always go hand in hand with blowers, when you force the air in you gotta get the spent gas out just as fast. I haven't driven a blown jk yet but do have experience with blowers.
x2

Forcing air into the motor is only 50% of the equation - it's got to go somewhere. Based on RIPP's dyno sheets, the JK exhaust looks really restrictive. If I were to do it (and I may), I would go headers/exhaust first and dyno second.

You may find that, after the headers, the sound and extra HP/TQ are good enough to not spend the extra $$$$ on the SC.

2010 Unlimited Preferred Package: Manual EVERYTHING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thats what i am thinking too. Put the headers first and see how she goes but after some research found out superchip will not work with headers and i have to spend extra dollars on diablo tuner which is not good news
post #5 of 12 Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

OK.. I have an 08 with the RIPP SC installed. It was quirky and I have worked out most of the bugs.. their latest version seems to have it all together now. Especially since they have gotten away from the added fuel injectors and the "black box" AS I UNDERSTAND IT.. I have the older version soo.... FWIW

Two: I have installed those headers on a customers 07 unlimited (4door) and I will say that they are the best headers I have seen. There is a report from another here that he said you could "touch" the headers after running them and letting them sit just a few minutes.. well this is true. I have done it. My customers first set of headers from brand "X" ran so hot and chity .. he went through 4 sets of plug wires in a few months. Its now been 6 or so weeks with the Ripp headers and they all they say they are.

He (my customer) also reported that he felt the power curve did indeed move down the RPM band.. this is a very good thing for off-roading.

Although pricey, those headers are WELL worth it. And the company is rock solid in my personal experience.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Are there any ecu problems after the headers install do we have to buy a seperate tuner to run them trouble free.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
Thats what i am thinking too. Put the headers first and see how she goes but after some research found out superchip will not work with headers and i have to spend extra dollars on diablo tuner which is not good news
Why is this?

Are there certain functions of the Superchips Flashpaq that are affected, or do the headers render the entire unit useless?

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
post #8 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I dont have the first hand experience with them but according to research some people who have installed ripp long tube headers running with superchip tuner reported check engine light cat running too lean p codes

I am waiting for ripp to throw some light on this issue before i go ahead and purchase some
post #9 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I can say that on a STOCK system the long tube headers do NOT throw any codes at all.

They are plug and play.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #10 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
I am considering installing the RIPP GEN 2 SC. But I am going to wait a little before jumping on something new.

I have been advised that the RIPP Headers are awesome and add siginificant amount of low end power.

Can you install both headers and SC together?

Want to hear from people with experience with both.
The replies in this thread are awesome - thanks to the community for supporting our products and giving real world data -

Our opinion and advise goes in line with the answers delivered already - We designed the headers to
1) give clients an option to get the most from their JK's naturally aspirated (NA).
2) to go further with our supercharger program... by scavenging performance robbing heat and back pressure away from the cylinder head. THhis brings EGT's down and the ability to tune the NA side of the supercharger more aggressively to maximize the endings low end torque and over all performance.

You can go either way with this - We would go header and Diablosport tuner and tune it in NA first - you will be surprised at the power we've found through relentless design efforts -

On the other hand - the charger puts the cap on power by delivering it all right away - so its a double edged sword - Many will go SC'd first and find they need a little more and add the blower - Yet others on a budget will do the opposite - Of course now that we've added the $3995.95 price the SC is very popular...

RIPPTECH
post #11 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Wheeler

RIPP SC Being installed as we speak...will keep you posted.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

What version are you installing? Can you post your honest experience after the install with few pics please love to hear how she performs after the install. Are you doing headers also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMZJK View Post
RIPP SC Being installed as we speak...will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode