Tack bar questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tack bar questions

To start are adjustable track bars worth it on a 2.5" lift? The second is about track bar braces: Should they be done? On the axles or frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

depends on the lift and which brackets really. i've had bad luck with relocation brackets. i usually just run adjustable track bars. i ran the full traction front relocation bracket and it made the jeep handle SCARY

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Just use the POly Performance Upper trackbar brace I believe it just beefs up the stock brace

2014 JK Anvil
"If You Don't Stand For Something, You'll Fall For Anything"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I would recommend you get a rear axle side track bar brace. The welds on that aren't very stout. I'm using the JKS weld on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2008 View Post
To start are adjustable track bars worth it on a 2.5" lift? The second is about track bar braces: Should they be done? On the axles or frame?
I would recommend it.

Take a look at this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #6 of 17 Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I keep thinking my self in circles and coming back to TF 2.5 w/ shocks, so with a set of adj track bars and axle side braces i should be good to go then?
post #7 of 17 Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

yes you should

2014 JK Anvil
"If You Don't Stand For Something, You'll Fall For Anything"
post #8 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Wouldnt adding the front axle side track bar brackets throw off the alignment with the drag link?
You want the track bar and drag link to be as parallel to each other as possible or it will cause bump steer.
If it does then you would want just the front adjustable track bar.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #9 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
JKO Addict!

i installed a TF 2.5 with a front TF track bar (no brackets) and there was no bump steer at all. it drove really nicely.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #10 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
Wouldnt adding the front axle side track bar brackets throw off the alignment with the drag link?
You want the track bar and drag link to be as parallel to each other as possible or it will cause bump steer.
Depends if you have a dropped track bar bracket on the frame side, raised track-bar bracket on the axle, and/ or if you have a flipped drag-link as to what will wind up keeping the drag-link and track-bar most parallel.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sorry but i'm getting confused. What part of the suspension is the Dag link, and how would it change? I'm pretty sure i want to go with adj trac bar thats certain cause i want to stay away from weak drop/relocation brackets since the stock trac bar brackets are weak enough right? How would trac bar BRACES mess with the drag link? The only brace i looked at that relocated something was the JKS front axle side weld on that relocated the sterring dampner. Sorry if i start to confuse anybody else, i can be good at that sometimes.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

I did the TF 2.5" budget with TF Shocks. I also did the JKS Adj Trackbars with their weld on brackets front and rear - nice setup. Darn the trackbars cost more than the BB! -- handles good on and off road - super pleased!
post #13 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM
JKO Addict!

The drag link is the bar that runs from your steering gear box to the right knuckle, it is what moves the wheels when you turn your steering wheel. The track bar and drag link need to have the same angle coming down the the axle or you will get bump steer due to the drag link and track bar having different arcs when the suspension compresses and decompresses

|
|
post #14 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
YES. If you go that route you need THIS

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #15 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2008 View Post
I keep thinking my self in circles and coming back to TF 2.5 w/ shocks, so with a set of adj track bars and axle side braces i should be good to go then?
Sir

This is a great plan! A heavy duty adjustable front track bar and axle gussets are exactly what the doctor ordered. Down the road if you want, you can do the frame side gussets from Poly, but they are not 100% necessary right away!

Rock Krawler
post #16 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with their 9550 shocks and front lower adjustable control arms. I also installed a set of front and rear JKS adjustable trackbars and weld-on reinforcement brackets. The brackets don't relocate the trackbar, just reinforce the stock bracket at the axle end. The front bracket has a second mounting position for a high-steer setup or for taller lifts (4.5"+). I am very happy with the setup and haven't had any problems. Handling and performance both on and off-road are great.

Here's the front JKS brace:

Here's the rear JKS brace:

I most certainly recommend the reinforcement brackets. You can get away without the adjustable trackbars if you absolutely couldn't afford them right now. Your axles will be slightly off-center and your ESP may go off on tight turns, but it would be driveable and the Jeep wouldn't be any less safe to drive because of it.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #17 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the input and help guys! I will be ordering parts in Oct. and will post pics up when done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode