In search of the best riding lift... 2 door JK... expedition next summer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

In search of the best riding lift... 2 door JK... expedition next summer

So here's the deal. I've driven accross the country several times in a lifted jeep. it's always fun. my wife has never done it. i don't want to tow the big jeep out, i want to do it in something we drive out and back. expedition esq. the big jeep has enough $ into it, it's time to sink some into the little jeep. The thing is, it still has to be her DD to work. watching jeepnick's progress on JKE has lit a fire under my ass. We were going to go to europe in july but with "not not trying" to have a baby i don't want to have to cancel reservations etc. if we drive we'll just wing it. Find places to camp or hotels along the way.

the trip will be from Pittsburg, PA to somewhere on the west coast. Possibly hit the rubicon or moab (not sure which, but doubtful both, too far apart)

jeep is a 2007, auto, hard/soft top, etc and will have bushwacker pocket flares because she really likes them. that's non-negotiable. it is her jeep after all LOL.

current setup (without all the little assorted stuff)
rubi bastard lift with rubi shocks and 1" front spacers
RR rear bumper
ORF front stubby
35" KM2's on 17" XD addicts
Superchips
5.13's and aluminum diff covers
AEV brackets for control arms
inexpensive cobra CB
aftermarket trans cooler

here's some ideas in NO particular order

possible setup 1:
2.5 Teraflex coil lift
JKS track bars front and rear
either MX6's, 9000's, or 5150's (but leaning toward adjustable)
add the tire carrier onto the RR bumper
Tatton driveshafts front and rear
rear upper control arms
JKS disco's
unsure of rocker protection.. whatever i can find in scratch n dent
generic winch plate (already have) with XRC8 winch

Possible setup 2:
Rusty's 3.25" (comes with track bars, and shocks, and disco's)
sell shocks and buy mx6's, 5150's, or 9000's
add tire carrior
Tatton driveshafts front and rear
rear uca's
unsure on rocker protection

Possible setup 3:
AEV 3.25" progressive springs (having trouble finding them though)
shocks - either mx6's, 5150's, or 9000's
add tire carrier to RR bumper
Tatton driveshafts
rear uca's
JKS track bars
unsure on rocker protection

Possible setup 4:
RK 2.5" or 3.5" stock/mod suspension
same shocks as above
1 JKS track bar needed
tire carrier added to RR bumper
Tatton driveshafts
Rear uca's
unsure on rockers

Possible setup 5:
4wd 2.5" kit
try the shocks (they were BDS and rode awesoem back in the day, rumor has it they're pro comp now...)
front and rear JKS track bars
jks disco's
tatton DS
rear uca's
unsure on rockers
tire carrier

i know that i keep adding driveshafts... but i'd rather have driveshafts i know won't crap out when i'm a few thousand miles from home. the automatic with the lift makes me nervous as hell.

anyway, anyone have these lifts? any thoughts on how they perform? Keep in mind my primary concern is comfortable ride. the trails we'll be doing won't be anything extreme. just general wheeling and exploring the back country. maybe go see some of the old ghost mining towns in colorado.. that kind of stuff.

31 jeeps in... still have issues

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 09-13-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Im liking option 3.

If i were to do it up right for your trip:
AEV 3.5 lift (all hyped up, but from what i can acertain its the best riding lift)(maybe OME shocks)
ORFAB Tire carrier (no rattles from what i hear)
Tom Woods 1310 or 1350 shafts (just always been a fan)
Shrock rails are awesome, but at this point there are so many good ones to choose from it all comes down to asthetics....

That said:
Id stay away fromt eh Tera 2.5, its a great lift but having ridden in it it is not the most comfortable on-road.
Rock Krawler...same. VERY nice lift, but heim joints on both ends are going to suck on the highway.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Im liking option 3.

If i were to do it up right for your trip:
AEV 3.5 lift (all hyped up, but from what i can acertain its the best riding lift)(maybe OME shocks)
ORFAB Tire carrier (no rattles from what i hear)
Tom Woods 1310 or 1350 shafts (just always been a fan)
Shrock rails are awesome, but at this point there are so many good ones to choose from it all comes down to asthetics....

That said:
Id stay away fromt eh Tera 2.5, its a great lift but having ridden in it it is not the most comfortable on-road.
Rock Krawler...same. VERY nice lift, but heim joints on both ends are going to suck on the highway.
i appreciate the input on the RK and the Terra... how was the RK as far as small bump compliance?

i'm leaving all the stock control arms except the rear uppers, so i don't think that's going to be very noticeable... we put them on jeepnick's and they don't click or clank or anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'll sell u my aev springs

I have some ideas for the rest will fill u in when I'm done with this drive

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #5 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

I run a 4in Teraflex kit with fully adjustable arms front and rear. I love the lift and I am running 37in MTRs with the Poly Flip kit. I run the ProComp 6 way adjustable shocks.....BUT we just installed the AEV 4.5 premium kit with Bilstein shocks a few weekends ago and I was thoroughly impressed with how smooth and responsive it was.....and this was with 37in BFG KM2s.

His name is TONKAJEEP on here so give him a shout and he can fill you in firsthand.

just my 2 pennies.
post #6 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Personally, And lately I have been trying to get rid of my Tom woods ds and go back to the stock unit albeit have it modified to a smaller diameter shaft and retain the oem rzeppa joints... It actually allows you to run proper castor with no vibes (AEV supposedly is making one). Other than that I really like OME coils, and bilstein 5100 shocks.

I'd pimp my 3.5" aev kit but I know damn well what you think of it, and it sounds like you want it to sit lower

no jeep here...
post #7 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
I'll sell u my aev springs

I have some ideas for the rest will fill u in when I'm done with this drive
i'm a little worried they'll be ass high because they're off a 4 door... we'll talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeck47 View Post
I run a 4in Teraflex kit with fully adjustable arms front and rear. I love the lift and I am running 37in MTRs with the Poly Flip kit. I run the ProComp 6 way adjustable shocks.....BUT we just installed the AEV 4.5 premium kit with Bilstein shocks a few weekends ago and I was thoroughly impressed with how smooth and responsive it was.....and this was with 37in BFG KM2s.

His name is TONKAJEEP on here so give him a shout and he can fill you in firsthand.

just my 2 pennies.
i've ridden in nick's AEV when it was both 4.5 and now that it's 3.5... how did your tera compare to his 4.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
Personally, And lately I have been trying to get rid of my Tom woods ds and go back to the stock unit albeit have it modified to a smaller diameter shaft and retain the oem rzeppa joints... It actually allows you to run proper castor with no vibes (AEV supposedly is making one). Other than that I really like OME coils, and bilstein 5100 shocks.

I'd pimp my 3.5" aev kit but I know damn well what you think of it, and it sounds like you want it to sit lower
LOL, i don't HATE that kit... i just think it's way overpriced for what you get. That doesn't stop me from running their springs/LCA brackets though

post #8 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i appreciate the input on the RK and the Terra... how was the RK as far as small bump compliance?

i'm leaving all the stock control arms except the rear uppers, so i don't think that's going to be very noticeable... we put them on jeepnick's and they don't click or clank or anything.
I haven't personally ridden in the RK with the arms, so I couldn't tell you for certain on that one, but the heims will ride rougher than the stock bushings (which Im sure you already know)

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #9 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

subscribed
post #10 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
i'm a little worried they'll be ass high because they're off a 4 door... we'll talk

i've ridden in nick's AEV when it was both 4.5 and now that it's 3.5... how did your tera compare to his 4.5?

LOL, i don't HATE that kit... i just think it's way overpriced for what you get. That doesn't stop me from running their springs/LCA brackets though
I think they are very similiar but his (AEV) just seemed so damn plush. I mean it drove better after the lift and 37s than stock. It could be the shocks and my springs are more compressed than his but I have a WARN bumper and winch and a rear bumer and tire carrier with a 37 on it too and he is still running the stock bumpers with no spare. So not sure if that has any effect....I am sure it could. I would not hesitate to roll my Tera xcountry any day of the week. Headin to MOAB at the end of the month!

Last edited by tbeck47; 09-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.
post #11 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dunno how much you're looking to spend but the EVO Enforcer kits looked interested and are suppose to be designed to be 'plush'

http://www.evomfg.com/store/proddeta...O-ENFORCER-KIT

Northridge sells a combo package of OME springs/shocks with add-on bits. Worth looking into

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...K-PACKAGE-LIFT

As far as the ones you listed, I can only speak to the TF. I have the 4" springs and full flexarms. Even on mine, it still netted around 5". Id bet those 2.5" coils from TF would net you close to 3.5" on your 2dr.

Ive heard good things about the Bilstein shocks as well as the OMEs. Im running the TF 9550 VSS. They're ok, nothing fancy. Work fine for driving to and from work and crawlin on rocks.
post #12 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
Dunno how much you're looking to spend but the EVO Enforcer kits looked interested and are suppose to be designed to be 'plush'

http://www.evomfg.com/store/proddeta...O-ENFORCER-KIT

Northridge sells a combo package of OME springs/shocks with add-on bits. Worth looking into

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...K-PACKAGE-LIFT

As far as the ones you listed, I can only speak to the TF. I have the 4" springs and full flexarms. Even on mine, it still netted around 5". Id bet those 2.5" coils from TF would net you close to 3.5" on your 2dr.

Ive heard good things about the Bilstein shocks as well as the OMEs. Im running the TF 9550 VSS. They're ok, nothing fancy. Work fine for driving to and from work and crawlin on rocks.
damn dude, those are some big $ kits! lol for over 2k i'm starting to look at long arms...

thanks for the input on the TF stuff!

post #13 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
damn dude, those are some big $ kits! lol for over 2k i'm starting to look at long arms...

thanks for the input on the TF stuff!
Im guessing its the EVO Spec King shocks that push that kit so high in the $$$.

The OME kit wasnt that bad.

Maybe you should look at a long-arm kit. It is a 2dr
post #14 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

im on the old man emu band wagon. I have 4dr heavy front and 2dr heavy rear springs on my 2dr. Also have the old man emu long travel shocks. They are 100% awesome. love everything about them ride great on the street and great offroad. id definitely put that on your list instead of the TF 2.5
post #15 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Im guessing its the EVO Spec King shocks that push that kit so high in the $$$.

The OME kit wasnt that bad.

Maybe you should look at a long-arm kit. It is a 2dr

LOL, i actually sent my buddy a PM on NEC about how much this kit would cost me:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...7&partID=43262

the PROBLEM is i don't need that much. But if i'm gonna spend 3,000 on a long arm, i might as well spend 4k and do it right... I'm still way way way leaning towards a short arm. no reason to go super crazy on the wife's mall crawler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
im on the old man emu band wagon. I have 4dr heavy front and 2dr heavy rear springs on my 2dr. Also have the old man emu long travel shocks. They are 100% awesome. love everything about them ride great on the street and great offroad. id definitely put that on your list instead of the TF 2.5
what size tires are you running? can you post a pic? i was looking at the OME's... i know people rave about them but i've never ridden in one.

post #16 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
the PROBLEM is i don't need that much.
whoa whoa whoa......who's jeep is this?
post #17 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
whoa whoa whoa......who's jeep is this?
my wife's. it's her DD.

a few things....

1. it's not getting an axle swap
2. i'm not going to re-setup the gears to install lockers (but may do a lockrite up front one day)
3. eventually it'll be a 3rd vehicle. she's going to buy a wagon for hauling kids/dogs when the babies start coming.

So all those things in mind, they're driving this build. As cool as a full blown 4 link with coilovers would be... it's really not worth doing with open axles ya know...

post #18 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

If ur thinking long arm evo has a non coil over long arm in the works
Also I wheeled with Lonnie from skyjacker all week that long arm kit kicked ass pretty gnarly brace that almost acted like a truss over the front and rear axle
But really u don't need a long arm and u know this
But if that's what u want I support it
The pic is lonnie airing it out at the sand dunes he got bigger air then anyone else(rubi 44s btw)
Attached Images

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #19 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

OK ok ok ok lets get back on track here. anyone that knows me knows i tend to spiral out of control (look at what i wheel).

so lets stick to short arms....

post #20 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would vote option 4 but maybe bump it up to the 2.5 Max travel system.

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

First, it'll be awesome.
Second, Im partial to a tf 2.5 bb, orfab tire carrier and 31 sras...
Do both, if you can drive it at night, the trip ain't bad on the long hauls.
35 with the lift would get you most places... I completed Slick Rock near the Rubicon (thanks to Rob for lots of help), Gold Mountain near big bear (thanks to Hatch for his directions and rock piling) and could've done most easy and moderate trails in Moab if I had matching tires... Had to stick with easy, since I was going solo and have 30.8 in rear and 31.7 fronts due to flats... and I was HIGHLY advised to keep it in 2wd.
3rd, also try to do the US66 paths when available. Pretty much go to Chicago then follow maps and online directions. Can get pretty hairy in some parts, and some areas have dirt roads. I have some good info if you want.
And lastly, HAVE FUN.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #22 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Rock God

Man I can't say enough good things about the ome shocks. Ride is awesome and they perform great. I would go with the RK 2.5 lift and ome shocks. A buddy of mine has the 3.5 lift and bilstein and rides great too. I think that with the OME would be the shit.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

post #23 of 60 Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redx08 View Post
Man I can't say enough good things about the ome shocks. Ride is awesome and they perform great. I would go with the RK 2.5 lift and ome shocks. A buddy of mine has the 3.5 lift and bilstein and rides great too. I think that with the OME would be the shit.
i'm gonna have to search for some pics with the OME 2.5 and 35's....

also, i think for rocker protection (she likes her side steps) i'm just going to try to run these

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...3&partID=59722

with her stock side steps... not sure if it'll work...

also, talking with a buddy who just got a nice air overy hydro bender about the cage. Probably going to do something mild. Replace both rivetted cross bars, add down riggers like the poly's (in front of the speakers), 2 streamers, upper cross bar, and not sure about a dash bar... ideally we'd add it, but she might not like it since it's her DD... i'll have her sit in nick's with the ORF cage and we'll see how she feels about it.

post #24 of 60 Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

anyone running the progressive skyjacker coils yet?

post #25 of 60 Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the 2.5" TF lift and was very satisfied with it. I currently have the 4" TF lift and am also very happy with it. I really beat on this lift hard and it has been good to me. No stickers or paint left on the arms and they still beg me to hit them again.

Having said that, I helped a friend install a 3.5" RK lift and I was extremely impressed with it. If I did it all over again, I would buy that lift. The street ride is a little better with my TF system IMO, but the flex and pure beefiness of the RK lift is second to none. RK customer service is also excellent, so you will not have to worry about being shit on by the manufacturer if a problem arises.

Be mindful that the AEV lift uses Cam bolts. I do not like cam bolts personally for what I do, but some folks don't care. AEV seems to make quality products, but its just something that you might want to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode