Valve Stem Help/tire pressure monitor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Valve Stem Help/tire pressure monitor

Need some advise. I bough new wheels and tires and I am ready to swap them out with the OEM wheels. Do I need to use the valve from the OEM wheels for the tire pressure monitor and will it work with the new wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

They will work with the new wheels.

You don't have to use them however- if you use regular stems in place of the TPMS, then you will have a constant light on the dash, and it will chime 4x every time that you start the vehicle. It is actually very easy to get used to. It doesn't chime when you are driving. It will not effect any engine/ ECU performance either. It's safe to remove them as long as you keep an eye on your tire pressure from time to time.

You can also get a programmer like the AEV Procal unit for around $140. It allows you to keep the TPMS stems, while you set a lower psi (or get rid of them). This way you can run whatever pressure that you want with no chime/ light.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the quick reply. I was going to get the AEV Procal unit to recal the speedometer.

Do you run with or without the TPMS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Over 3 years now- without. I don't mind the chime at start up, and the light is not very annoying either (since it's not a 'check engine' light or anything like that).

Reason I don't care for them is that if you do run them and air-down on the trail, they are more prone to damage- and can be expensive to replace. I also have found in other vehicles that they are not always accurate 100% of the time. I would rather just check my psi from time to time.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

if your state has a safty inspection (stupid PA) it wont pass if that light is illuminated.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No inspections in FL. I was wondering if it is worth the time and money to make the switch. It will cost me around $40 to have a shop pull the old ones annd replace them with new ones. I don't want it to be an issue when I sell the OEM Sahara wheels.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakmrk View Post
No inspections in FL. I was wondering if it is worth the time and money to make the switch. It will cost me around $40 to have a shop pull the old ones annd replace them with new ones. I don't want it to be an issue when I sell the OEM Sahara wheels.
I havnt run them on my past 2 wheel/tire sets and I dont plan to in the future. For me they just caused problems. Falsely illuminating the warning light several times. They dont fair to well if you rub one agasint a rock either...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

how did you get the warning light to turn off w/o the TPMS?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakmrk View Post
how did you get the warning light to turn off w/o the TPMS?
you can disable it using a superchips or aev procal.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Like Stub said after 1 1/2 years it's no big deal... you kind of get used to it. And when you get that Procal you can set the threshold to zero and no more light.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode