how were your KM2's in the snow? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

how were your KM2's in the snow?

just wondering how they do. my wife has a set on her JK and i was reading in another thread people weren't happy with them.

i HATED my BFG AT's in the snow (i've run 31's, 32's, and 35's in BFG AT's) and i really liked my normal BFG MT's.

my buddy runs 37" km2's and in that 2.5' dump last year he was doing fine. keeping up with my 42" iroks without any issues.

my question is how were they in the snow? what were your complaints?

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

mine were good last season and we had the most snow weve had in a while. hopefully we will get a lot of snow again.

The lugs seemed to clean out good and grip well. On ice not so good but unless theyre studded what tires are good on ice?

I have also read that people have had bad experiences but I have not had any personally. They are better than the rubicon bfgs i had the winter before
post #3 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
mine were good last season and we had the most snow weve had in a while. hopefully we will get a lot of snow again.

The lugs seemed to clean out good and grip well. On ice not so good but unless theyre studded what tires are good on ice?

I have also read that people have had bad experiences but I have not had any personally. They are better than the rubicon bfgs i had the winter before
x2 on that. seemed pretty good- even during the big storms.

but then again I remember liking my AT's in the rain and snow.

Ryan I know you've wheeled about every tire and have substantially more experience. FWIW I know you think the ATs overrated but I think its a pretty good sOFFt Road tire with good road manners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
just wondering how they do. my wife has a set on her JK and i was reading in another thread people weren't happy with them.

i HATED my BFG AT's in the snow (i've run 31's, 32's, and 35's in BFG AT's) and i really liked my normal BFG MT's.

my buddy runs 37" km2's and in that 2.5' dump last year he was doing fine. keeping up with my 42" iroks without any issues.

my question is how were they in the snow? what were your complaints?
I think the BFG MT's did a lot better in the snow then the KM2's. My personal preference, I have had all 3 and I think the MT's did the best followed by the AT's then the new KM2's. I had the AT's and the MT's on various TJ's that I had in the past and I put the KM2's on a 2 door JK that I no longer have. Now I am onto the 4 door JK and debating on which tires just for that reason. I liked the KM2's for everything but snow driving.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

well the wife really likes the look of the KM2's... i'm contemplating if i sell them replacing them for these...

post #6 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Rock God

what the hell is that?

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

kuhmo? or however you spell it
post #8 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
what the hell is that?
kumho kl71... i've been enamored by them since i saw them a few years ago...

post #9 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine were awesome man. I hope the Toyo's are as good.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

my 35" procomp xtreme mt's were pretty decent in the snow. I have them as a backup incase my 38" Toyo MTs dont do well.......
post #11 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My KM2s were the worst snow tires I have ever used by a large margin. We have that deep powder snow here in California (it will dump 6 feet in a night!) and those lugs pack in and spin like slicks. When they pack with snow, the absence of siping really seems to compound the problem when you hit a solid surface. On a Eastern Sierra trip this winter with some of the JKO folks on here, KM2 owners were at a noticeable disadvantage. We aired way down and still could barely stay on the trail on inclines. One of the reasons I went back to Iroks was that the 2 rigs running them on that trip did whatever they wanted.

Its weird that you hate the BFG ATs in the snow. In the mountain towns here, they are one of the tires of choice. Those and the Duratracs. I have the ATs on my Tundra (that I use for ski and snowboard trips) and I think they do well, not as good as my Iroks, but far better than the KM2s. The MTRs are decent snow tires too (I have those on my TJ right now).

Those KM2s would really hook up in the rocks through.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

I loved my toyos in the snow
Km1s rocked
Cooper stt never let me down
Bfg ats sucked
Will let u know about the falkens this winter, we hit alittle snow in montana this week, they were solid

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #13 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
My KM2s were the worst snow tires I have ever used by a large margin. We have that deep powder snow here in California (it will dump 6 feet in a night!) and those lugs pack in and spin like slicks. When they pack with snow, the absence of siping really seems to compound the problem when you hit a solid surface. On a Eastern Sierra trip this winter with some of the JKO folks on here, KM2 owners were at a noticeable disadvantage. We aired way down and still could barely stay on the trail on inclines. One of the reasons I went back to Iroks was that the 2 rigs running them on that trip did whatever they wanted.

Its weird that you hate the BFG ATs in the snow. In the mountain towns here, they are one of the tires of choice. Those and the Duratracs. I have the ATs on my Tundra (that I use for ski and snowboard trips) and I think they do well, not as good as my Iroks, but far better than the KM2s. The MTRs are decent snow tires too (I have those on my TJ right now).

Those KM2s would really hook up in the rocks through.

I ran the old style MTR's and they were pretty good in the snow too. i just wasn't a fan of the AT's. they slid all over the place. they just couldn't get through the slush like the MT's can...

you guys out west, do they use salt on your roads? or just traction material?

post #14 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
you guys out west, do they use salt on your roads?
No salt used at all in Cali. Sometimes some gravel is thrown down, but usually nothing but the periodic plow by Caltrans.

Im glad too, Ive seen some of those east coast jeeps from running on that salt all winter. I take it that the salt turns the snow to slush?
post #15 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
No salt used at all in Cali. Sometimes some gravel is thrown down, but usually nothing but the periodic plow by Caltrans.

Im glad too, Ive seen some of those east coast jeeps from running on that salt all winter. I take it that the salt turns the snow to slush?
that's what i thought...

i'm wondering if that's part of it. I wasn't impressed with the AT's hydro resistance... i'm wondering if our "slush' that we usually end up with is why i disliked them so much...

post #16 of 21 Old 09-13-2010, 11:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've never had an issue with my KM2s in winter muck. I had read all the reviews and I was pretty nervous about how it would all pan out, but I never struggled, even after the dumping of snow we got this past winter. They do tend to pack a bit with snow, but mine never slipped and didn't seem to be too much of an issue. This winter will be alot more fun ow that I have my Aussie locker up front.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #17 of 21 Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I've never had an issue with my KM2s in winter muck. I had read all the reviews and I was pretty nervous about how it would all pan out, but I never struggled, even after the dumping of snow we got this past winter. They do tend to pack a bit with snow, but mine never slipped and didn't seem to be too much of an issue. This winter will be alot more fun ow that I have my Aussie locker up front.
LOL! just understeer... nothing throttle won't cure

thanks for the input man. that seems to be the general concensus of people in our area.

post #18 of 21 Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Rock God

Love the KM2s off road... best traction tire I'VE ever owned. Having said that, in my opinion, they really do suck in hard packed snow. Driving in deep powder is adequate but traction on a hard packed, snowy surface leaves a lot to be desired.

The JK's ESP gets a work out every time I drive on hard, slick surfaces. In fact, the Pro Comp MT's I had before were much better on hard packed snow but not as sticky off road. If I had the cash I would get a set of all-terrain tires specifically for winter.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #19 of 21 Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Love the KM2s off road... best traction tire I'VE ever owned. Having said that, in my opinion, they really do suck in hard packed snow. Driving in deep powder is adequate but traction on a hard packed, snowy surface leaves a lot to be desired.

The JK's ESP gets a work out every time I drive on hard, slick surfaces. In fact, the Pro Comp MT's I had before were much better on hard packed snow but not as sticky off road. If I had the cash I would get a set of all-terrain tires specifically for winter.

Good luck.
we never really see hard packed snow... it's not like we get the dumps of snow you guys see. it's usually either lots of fresh, or slush.

i've been to co and you guys all know how to drive on the hard pack that builds up on teh roads.

here it's utter panic and the city runs out of $ for snow removal... lol

post #20 of 21 Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The only roads they plow here in the winter are the ones that city transit drives on... so most intersection have lots of packed snow and ice and the MT don't do any good on that. I've got to get me some AT's before the snow flys.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

We had un unusually cold, icy winter last year and the 35" KM2s I had on at the time were very treacherous. Snow, mud, rocks, they're fine. Ice, holy crap. I finally aired them down to trail levels and they got enough grip to be acceptable. I've since put on 37s and don't expect them to be any better. I'll be airing down at the first frost!

Local BFG tire guy has sipped a few sets and said they did much better, but that it increased wear significantly. Pick your poison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode