GOBI Stealth Roof Rack Lighting Options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
GOBI Stealth Roof Rack Lighting Options

I have two PIAA 520's that I would like to mount on my windshield (lower A Pillars) but I have no clue which light mounts to work with. I was told that the Rugged Ridge mounts will work...

I would have to make some sort of spacer to fit the lower bolt though.

I'm also planning on running a set of four Hella FF75's up on the roof rack. I was gonna go with the PIAA1500XT's... but, I like the look of the Hella's better.

Has anyone used the FF75's? I'm going to mount driving lights up high... the PIAA 520's are also driving lights, not fog lights.

Thanks for any advice in advance..

~ Darren

2010 JK Sport: 4.88:1 Yukon Gears, Spartan Lockers, A.C.E. Rock Rails, Gobi Stealth Rack, HELLA FF75 lights, 16x8 ION ALLOY 174 wheels, 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Smitty XRC front bumper, Smitty XRC8 winch and cover, Smitty roller fairlead license plate holder, Alpine Sound System with JL Audio Sub, 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Bedlined front Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Rock God

Hi Darren. I have experience with both.

HELLA lights are OK. They'll hold up to some abuse. However, they aren't as bright as I like them to be. One set of those Hellas is comparible to 1 PIAA 2100 for light output.

I have installed those HELLAs on a few GOBI racks and no complaints to date.

The PIAA 2100 (although more $) put out alomst double IMO.
Not per specs, but that extreme white light on the PIAA's are very bright.

As for mounting lights be your A pillar, they can be done easy enough. OR if you haven;t ordered the rack yet, let me know and I can get an extra tab on each A pillar for whatver lights you intend to use. If you already have the mount, i just need a pic and can make a spacer so you mount everything up with out issue.

Feel free to PM me if I can help you out.

2016 JKU
post #3 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Ok... my brother gave me a set of HELLA FF75 lights for the rack. I mounted them today, but will have to wire them on Sunday. We are gonna wire them where I can switch just the outside two on, or run all four on if I want.

The Jeep is starting to get there...

I still need to mount my two PIAA 520's... the only thing is, they are the "fog" lights, and I really want "driving" lights. I may try to sell them to someone that can use them.

2010 JK Sport: 4.88:1 Yukon Gears, Spartan Lockers, A.C.E. Rock Rails, Gobi Stealth Rack, HELLA FF75 lights, 16x8 ION ALLOY 174 wheels, 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Smitty XRC front bumper, Smitty XRC8 winch and cover, Smitty roller fairlead license plate holder, Alpine Sound System with JL Audio Sub, 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Bedlined front Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have 4 Hella FF75 driving lights on my Gobi Stealth-Recon rack. They are OK, but be careful not to torque the screws to the housings too tight, or the plastic housings will crack (as 3 of 4 of mine did). Light output is good enough for me.

I'm thinking about going with the PIAA 2100's, but they are so dam expensive. I paid just under $160 on Amazon for four Hella FF75's (no wiring -- didn't need it). It would have cost over $320 for four PIAA 2192's.

I've never seen the PIAA 2192's in person, but I can't imagine they would be 2x better than the Hella's. Nor more durable, as the PIAA's also have plastic housings.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #5 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Wheeler

Another option are kc 26 series. I run four across the front of my rack and two on the rear. Bright enough for purpose/price.

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #6 of 18 Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Wheeler

I don't suppose there are any round lights that will fight this rack, are there?

Z.O.R.U - Helping the dead stay dead.

2007, 2-Door Sahara
Military Jeep Green and Dual Khaki Tops
305/70R16 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A's,
Pro Comp 8069 wheels,
Superchips Flashpaq,
post #7 of 18 Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorTH JK View Post
I don't suppose there are any round lights that will fight this rack, are there?
not the Stealth rack... the Ranger Rack is designed for the round lights... as far as I know.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Wheeler

Thanks

2007, 2-Door Sahara
Pro Comp 8069 wheels,
Superchips Flashpaq,
post #9 of 18 Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Wheeler

Who is the manufacturer of the Ranger rack?

2007, 2-Door Sahara
Pro Comp 8069 wheels,
Superchips Flashpaq,
post #10 of 18 Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorTH JK View Post
Who is the manufacturer of the Ranger rack?

GOBI makes the RANGER and the STEALTH... Here is a link to their website. They do it in 2 door and 4 door version.

I looked at a ton of racks before getting this one. It's very pricey, but I'm telling you, it is serious QUALITY.

I lucked up and was able to buy this one used, off a forum member. He gave me a HELL of a deal on it.

You can look at them here... look in this post for "Trail Rated"... he's a member here that specializes in this rack... he's a great guy, and I'm sure he will be along shortly.

GOBI RANGER ROOF RACK

post #11 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Wheeler

JKDarren - how did you run the wiring from the rack? I don't see it.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran my wiring along the bottom rail, under the lights, and then through the hole provided in the light bar on the passenger side. The wires run through the passenger side tube from the top to the bottom and then out the bottom of the light bar and into the cowl. From there it hits the relays and from the relays to switches on my Daystar switch panel.

I run one switch for the two outers and one switch for the two inner most lights.

I can take some pictures later this afternoon if you think it would help.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I ran my wiring along the bottom rail, under the lights, and then through the hole provided in the light bar on the passenger side. The wires run through the passenger side tube from the top to the bottom and then out the bottom of the light bar and into the cowl. From there it hits the relays and from the relays to switches on my Daystar switch panel.

I run one switch for the two outers and one switch for the two inner most lights.

I can take some pictures later this afternoon if you think it would help.
Thanks, I never noticed the holes on Saturday - looks awesome!
post #14 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Rock God

DO you guys want a writeup on how to route the wires from the GOBI into the engine bay and into the cab? We finally mounted our Stealth on our 2012 and getting ready to put the Rigid Lighting on. I can take a bunch of pics and show how the wires are routed and what we use on our our installs for wire disconnects. or would a video be better yet?

2016 JKU
post #15 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Rock God

also forgot to mention, if you don;t want low profile lighting in your stealth, we can make you brackets that will allow you to mount a round lamp out in front of the lightbar too.

stealth gets:
PIAA 2100
Hella FF75's
Delta 245H

Ranger gets:
PIAA 510/ 520
Hella 500
LightForce 140 (sits just out in front of the lightbar)

custom brackets:
use larger than 6" diameter lights: places lamps out in front of lightbar.
Lightforce 170
PIAA 580

Custom lightbar:
allows for Rigid 40" Rigid Lightbar
dual stacked lightbars
CB tabs
whip/ flag mounts

hope that helps.

EDIT: ADD!
I have A pillat light brackets that should be done by week's end. you can run them without the GOBI or run them with the spacer kit AND your GOBI rack. they will fit most any light. I'll have another thread up those soon.

2016 JKU
post #16 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJenn View Post
Thanks, I never noticed the holes on Saturday - looks awesome!
lol, it's tough to see them when your hands are icecubes. I just got mine mounted up and forgot to pre-wire mine.

2016 JKU
post #17 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
DO you guys want a writeup on how to route the wires from the GOBI into the engine bay and into the cab? We finally mounted our Stealth on our 2012 and getting ready to put the Rigid Lighting on. I can take a bunch of pics and show how the wires are routed and what we use on our our installs for wire disconnects. or would a video be better yet?
Yes! Write-ups are always welcome (even for simple things) for us new DIYers.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
any words on the write up?

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode