Front Drive shaft replacement after life? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Front Drive shaft replacement after life?

I am considering a 2-3 inch lift on my 2010 Rubicon Unlimited. It is the Auto. Will I need to replace the front drive shaft after a lift of only 2 to three inches? I have read several times that the 4dr auto needs to have the front DS replaced due to rubbing. Any input on this? Any experiences with or without a lift of this size and rubbing?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Yup, sorry. I thought that I'd get away with it with only the 2.5 coil lift and I didn't put the pucks up front to level it. I went poser flexing in my moms ditch and sure enough it swung over and the stainless band got popped off, it didn't tear a hole in the boot but it sure made a crease in it and made it look funny. I drove it like this for around 25-30k miles with only minor grease thrown out. Dealer swapped me a new one a few months ago so I've been rolling that until I decide which one to go with. They also will tell you the brake lines are long enough as well, if you don't have the extensions and everything else right you may be screwed as well.they get really taugt at 3"!!!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

Depends.

What is the 'actual' lift height you will end up at? (many coils give a fair bit more lift than advertised, so do some research) How long are the new shocks? Will you be disconnecting? Is the front axle centered? Will you be flexing to max articulation, or more of a fire road only rig?

Disconnected with longer shocks, you can easily tear the boot with 2.5-3" of lift. So, after the lift is on, flex it and check the clearances. You can drop or notch out the skid, replace the metal band with a zip tie, possibly move the front axle over a bit. You have options if it is close to contacting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Drive it til it tears. That's what me and many others have done. You'll know when it goes when you find grease sprayed in a circular patern above and around the shaft. You may find that your front shaft lasts longer than you think. Mine lasted up to the point to where I lifted it over 4". Even if it tears it should last long enough for you to get your next shaft.

Buy *made in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . .. While you still can.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

What bOLsAK3 said, x2.

If you do happen to tear the boot on your front DS, the only immediate impact will likely be a bunch of cursing from you. Your JK should continue to drive fine for quite awhile after that, so why replace it for a condition that you may never encounter?

lax71vcu, I've got the same JK setup as you, and I've been wheeling it with a TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift with no problems.

Since you've got an automatic, you've got a transmission skid that only autos get. After just about any amount of lift, when you're flexing, the DS will make contact with this skid. So if you plan on doing a lift, plan on either losing this skid, or cutting it so that it's more DS friendly.

I replaced mine with the Rock Hard 4x4 skid. In addition to the trans, it also covers the oil pan and cat converter. I've had no problems with rubbing with this skid.

STUPIDLY, I've had this skid off for about a month (it was covering and area I wanted to work on). I got a chance to do some unexpected wheeling a week or two ago, and didn't want to take the time to put this skid back on, so I put the stock skid back on. I didn't plan on doing much flexing where I was going, so I thought I'd be fine. Wrong -- ripped the DS boot about 10 minutes into the event.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Granite Guru

I have a 2.5 lift and 34's tore the boot first time out now I am at 80,000 still on stock drive shafts. I have read where someone used a motor cycle inner tube to cover where the boot was. I decided that I would run OEM shaft untill they fail.. Then replace them. I bought a set of OEMs for $50 to use for backups.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

I am running the TF 2.5in Coil lift for over a year now and my front DS is fine.. It is still stock.. And I have flexed the crap out of it.. I am like others.. When it fails, that is when it will be time to replace the drive shafts..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks aristobrat.... I was looking into the River Raider Skids....

Anybody running RR skids with an auto and lift? Any rubbing issues?

Thanks
I will def look into the Hard Rock skids too....
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

my front DS bot tore about a year ago while running the TF 2.5" BB.. and it was on the JK for about a year before there was any issue..

It will go.. but it will prob last a while before there is an issue

no jeep here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode