Maintaining factory ride - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Maintaining factory ride

Which of the more popular lifts actually does a good job of maintaining the factory ride? Thinking that max tire size would by 33" or the metric equivalent.

Rusty's, TF, what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

If your going 33's a budget boost will maintain the factory ride and will clear the tires easily.

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Lower end lift kits often leave out components that help keep the steering geometry within factory specs (Track Bars, Adjustable Control Arms, etc), which can affect handling.

High end kits often include adjustable control arms that have metal heim joints at both ends, which can affect Ride. The factory control arms have rubber bushings that reduce vibration (but also are not as flexy).

Altho I've not ridden in a JK equipped with them, i've heard good things about the JKS arms (which are adjustable but use rubber bushings)

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...de=Coil_Spring

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Granite Guru

Old Man Emu 2 - 3" lift, better than stock ride, will accommodate 33" easy. Really excellent if you don't want to go really big.

You can get away with wheel spacers with 33", but OME will give you clearance off road and the ride you want. I ran 33" with stock suspension before I installed my OME lift and there was a big On Road performance gain, off road was even bigger.

Last edited by Jollydodger; 09-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Depends on your budget. There are a few quality lifts out there that can be bought for relatively few dollars that "maintain" factory ride quality. There are also a very few exceptionally well designed lifts that actually improve factory ride and driveability. The Teraflex Elite LCG long arm lifts are a good example. I did a 5 hour trip yesterday that included 100 miles of dirt and 130 miles of pavement, and midway through the last pavement leg of the trip I turned to my friend that was riding shotgun and said "you know what, ... this Jeep really does drive better now than it did when it was entirely stock". See my signature to see what I'm running.

One thing to keep in mind with whichever lift you choose is the tires and shocks you put on the Jeep when you're done. If you put a poor quality set of tires, or a cheap poor functioning set of shocks on it, you won't have a good riding and good driving Jeep, no matter how good the lift system you use.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 09-12-2010 at 07:24 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Wheeler

Your best bet is to find someone local that has a kit that you are interested in. I went with a TF 2.5" coil system with the better than stock mindset and was pissed when my first ride nocked a few teeth loose. All in all I'm happy with the set up now, it has a more stable feel to it and I attribute the rough initial ride to the factory set 37psi tire pressure and the adj. arm bushings. I'm happy with my choice now that I've a winch, the extra weight would have put the hurt on the stock springs.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

2.5 BB and your 33's will be on a factory ride.

07 2 door:
I used TF on one of my JK's and it worked well. Any of the pucks really work the same. When I added a custom bumper and winch the stock springs sagged. I put 4 door HD springs on my 2 door and back to normal.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Rock God

I've been doing a lot of research into this also. For my situation, where 1/2 of the year I'll be 90% highway/street and the other 1/2 of the year I'll be 90+% trails/ high speed very rough "roads", I want a low center of gravity with maximized up travel, decent extension, and great damping.I'll be running 35x12.5r18's on stock alloys.
I think I've narrowed it down to the Teraflex 2.5 lift with adjustable front track bar and 8 flexarms, or the Poly Performance synergy 1.5. Tough call, as both seem to be great kits.
The one thing I have found from my last trip down to Belize /Costa Rica is that shock selection is critical to the ride quality you are looking for. One of my employees has his TJ in Belize now, and was hitting his bump stops all the time on the "roads". He switched out his 4 year old Teraflex shocks for Bilstein 5150's and the difference is amazing, both on pavement or off.
Let us know what you decide!

Davesrb
post #9 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This is what I am looking at right now,

All from Rustys

5363 Baja Radial ATZ Plus - LT285/75R16-8 Ply (33X11.50R16) $876.00
5168050-40 16x8 Black Daytona 5on5 4.00 BS $276.00
RK-200B-JK JK Wrangler 2" Basic Kit $310.00
Stabilizer_Upgrade: Stabilizer-Upgrade-Yes $35.00

Long term is there any advantage to buying bigger wheels? Like a 17?

Any problems with this list?

I do not typically wheel beyond a trail rating of 6, so would this work?
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollydodger View Post
Old Man Emu 2 - 3" lift, better than stock ride, will accommodate 33" easy. Really excellent if you don't want to go really big.

You can get away with wheel spacers with 33", but OME will give you clearance off road and the ride you want. I ran 33" with stock suspension before I installed my OME lift and there was a big On Road performance gain, off road was even bigger.
Better than factory ride HMMMMMMMMM thats wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode