Spare Tire carrier, mounted on the inside? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Spare Tire carrier, mounted on the inside?

Well, living in a city that refused to fix pot holes it took just two years for the 34' tire on the factory tire carrier to make the factory hinges sag and the welds start to pop (btw: the factory tail gate hinges are only rated to 50lbs)

So I replaced them with a SWAG Offroad drop down tail gate, now the question was where to mount the spare? The cheapest after market tire carrier, up here in canada runs around $700 with a bumper system your looking at $1400+. So after toying with the idea of a Gen-right carrier I decided to make my own, but carry the spare Inside.

This requries the removal of the rear seats, but since I took those out 2 day after buying the Jeep that isn't an issue for me.

Made up a bracket at work out of 3/8" thick flat bar, 6" wide 32" long, laser cut a slot in the center and a bolt hole pattern at one end. Using six 1/2" grade 8 bolts I mounted it to the tub behind the drivers seat (see photo) using fender washers on the outside, I drilled 1" holes on the inner fender well to make it faster to do up the bolts, I didn't feel like taking the inner well off.

Then using some 5/8" redie rod and a alloy plate I mounted the tire using the center slot in the plate. the slot is 6" long so you can use it on tires ranging from 30" to 37" tall. I still have full access to the tiny storage compartment in hte back, the rear ward view is not affected at all, and the weight of the tire is on the drivers side so it some what counters the weight of the gas tank.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)

Last edited by Iron; 03-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Like I mentioned the re-view is not effected at all and the cargo area is still usable unlike if you were to lay the tire down. The tire stands up with the weight of the tire on the cargo floor, (the piece of wood was just to clear one of the brackets for the seat, didn't want it to rub on the tire)

Total cost, if I had to pay for it less than $40, but since I did the majority at work it was a freebie!!! Yeah I know I suck!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by Iron; 03-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

GENIUS!!! ...very creative. Nice work.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

H2 style, I like it.

Although I would suggest removing that vent cover you put on the tail gate. Since you're running a hard top, if the air bag deploys the pressure will bust your ear drums if there is no way for air to exit the cab.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Rock God

Very cool. I've been thinking about doing something similar for when I go bigger. The only thing that concerns me with that setup is the amount of leverage being placed on the inner fender well by the weight of the tire. I don't know how thick the sheetmetal is there, but it could be reasonably thick and I'm sure you though about that. I'm defitely glad to see there is still plenty of usable floor space back there and that rearward visibility is still good, gives me a reason to think about a similar tire mount. Thanks for sharing.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #6 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
H2 style, I like it.

Although I would suggest removing that vent cover you put on the tail gate. Since you're running a hard top, if the air bag deploys the pressure will bust your ear drums if there is no way for air to exit the cab.

No worries there, the Swag kit vents the cover, the two plates are spaced apart from each other and from the tail gate, plenty of room for air to move freely back there.

looks like the wheel arch where I mounted it was double walled, so it should be strong enough, and with the fender washer spreading the weight around I don't see any issues ahead, and if there are I can simply brace the bottom with an l bracket and tie it in with the floor. Yes already thought that one thru

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by Iron; 09-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Rock God

Nice idea but Jerry my pit would have a hard time rideing back there and not marking the spare ( tires are open game for him) Ron R, allways wondered about the tgate vent Dam hard to clost the doors on a htop.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Granite Guru

Did similar to my unlimited. Had to keep the small seat folded down. I dont have good pictures will try and take some better ones soon. I used the roll bar as a mounting point though.

Robert
post #10 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm toying with something similar, but planning to run a bar across the roll bars and attaching the tire to that, and anchor points to put a ratchet strap around the tread for extra security in a roll-over. My 37" swamper fits easily in that area.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I'm toying with something similar, but planning to run a bar across the roll bars and attaching the tire to that, and anchor points to put a ratchet strap around the tread for extra security in a roll-over. My 37" swamper fits easily in that area.
Thought about the rollbar tie in but went with the plate as I didn't want to mess with the rollbar. And I have plans for a ratchet strap around the tire there are two loops on the floor where the rear seat sat that are perfect for the strap.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
post #12 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
SuffolkJK did just that on his 2 door for his 35s. Came out pretty nice as well.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

haha brings back memories of my grand cherokee
post #14 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

if your in a 2dr you could go to tractor supply and buy one of the tractor seats

figure out a way to mount it there and then you can carry another person if need be

john deere ones are yellow for you yellow jeepers

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #15 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looks good except those washers look pretty darn small. I'd get bigger ones or maybe make a plate and have all the bolts come through it for the outside of the fender. You dont want that thing breaking loose in an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #16 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssJK View Post
SuffolkJK did just that on his 2 door for his 35s. Came out pretty nice as well.
Pics????

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #17 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This made me wonder ...would the Springtail MPAC side rack accomplish the same?

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #18 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

great idea.!

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #19 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Rock God

This is the route I took. Can't really mounted sideways due to the truck box, but it works great.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #20 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post

This is the route I took. Can't really mounted sideways due to the truck box, but it works great.
Very cool ...thanks.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #21 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
This made me wonder ...would the Springtail MPAC side rack accomplish the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
great idea.!
Got an e-mail back from Springtail ...

"That is a tough question...my 33s on steelies weigh over 100 pounds. I know the rack will hold up to the weight but I am not sure about the JK sheetmetal...I would worry that constant rocking from offroading would eventually stress the sheetmetal to breaking point.

I think that a tire/wheel that heavy belongs on a swing away or a baja style bed mount.

Doc"

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #22 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
haha brings back memories of my grand cherokee
And My S-10 blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode