River Raider complete skid goes in this weekend - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

River Raider complete skid goes in this weekend

I read and have a copy of Gil's write up for the River Raider complete skid kit for the unlimited. I received it last week and it's been primered and ready for some paint and then the install.

The skids look super solid, can't wait to get them in. If anyone has any tips on how to make the install go smooth, please pass them this way, otherwise I will review the write up from Gil.

Pics to follow next week......

If anyone wants any pics before I install, send me a note and I will take and post some pre-install pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to jsebastian

Looking forward to seeing the pics! River Raider skids are on my wish list!

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Don't have any experience with the RR item, but when I installed mine, a floor jack was required to push the gas tank skid on since it was a *really* tight fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Yup, the RROR stuff is legit! Now that I have them, I wouldn't run without them!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'll tell you right now, you're going to need two people, a lift and a tall screw jack is highly recommended. There were points during the install where I was leveraging the transfer case skid in two different directions to get things lined-up. And getting some of the hardware in place can be challenging.

Also, I suggest you go ahead and change your trans fluid and filter first, because you're not going to want to be taking them off anytime soon. Might as well do the transfer case while you're at it, although you can get to the drain and fill plugs after the skid is on.

When it's all done you'll love the kit. Getting there is just a bit challenging.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
I'll tell you right now, you're going to need two people, a lift and a tall screw jack is highly recommended. There were points during the install where I was leveraging the transfer case skid in two different directions to get things lined-up. And getting some of the hardware in place can be challenging.

Also, I suggest you go ahead and change your trans fluid and filter first, because you're not going to want to be taking them off anytime soon. Might as well do the transfer case while you're at it, although you can get to the drain and fill plugs after the skid is on.

When it's all done you'll love the kit. Getting there is just a bit challenging.
I disagree, I did it on mine with a floor jack, stands, and no help.

After I had mine nicely painted, I realized the oil pan skid was to narrow so I had to stand in it and use a 3lb sledge to open it up. Test fitting before paint would have been nice.

LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

wait what? we did the one that goes on the oil pan and then extends back to the cross member on jeepnick's jeep. it was like a 45 minute installation.

no bending or anything..

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

The entire RR underbody is a beautiful/functional classy piece of art and want it ....but with my 2 steel bumpers, winch, dual batteries, bigger tires etc I can't imagine having all that weight without a Hemi !! Maybe if I just lost some weight myself it could help some
post #9 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

we did this one on nick's jeep

http://riverraider.biz/index.php?mai...8gqnpovnt2mk12

and really, it wasn't very heavy. i was able to one hand it up no problem. super easy install, really slick, etc

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the tips. I was only able to get the skids primered and painted this weekend. I will try to install by this weekend. I'll take some pics of them before and after the install.

My buddy is going to help me so the extra hands should help. That gas tank skid is a monster, but I won't have to hear the dealer bi*** about the dent on my gas tank skid anymore 8-)

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to do too much rework to get them in. I just did all the tranny service so I should be good for a lil while there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode