Yet another gear question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Yet another gear question

I just bought a stock 08 Rubicon with an auto tranny. That being said, I want to replace the gears and right now I am leaning toward 5:38's since I plan on going to 35's or 37's soon and long term maybe larger...
Here is the question:
has anyone driven a stock 4 door with 5:38's? I know what the chart says I was thinking about getting the gearing done before the lift and tires and might end up driving it around for a few months that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

Depends on how much high speed freeway driving you do, and whether you tow a lot. You already found the chart, so the best answer would be to go measure your tires and plug in the number to see where you'll be.

I ran 5.13's with 32" (actual height) tires for 6 months before moving up to 35's. I generally keep down near the speed limit, so O/D Off towing was the only downside for me.

If you like to cruise up in the 80-90 range, or if you tow a heavy load often, you might want to wait. If not, go for it...
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Granite Guru

You will love the 5.38`s with stock wheels and tires . When i went from 4.10 to 5.13`s with stock rubbers i loved it , it was like rolling with a hemi. But i can say with my 37`s the 5.13s are working out great at hwy speeds not much shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode