Bought a used hardtop, questions! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bought a used hardtop, questions!

I have a 2010 4DR that I bought with a soft top only. I just bought a used 3 piece freedom hardtop that I'm picking up tonight. Other than a small crack in the back, and needing a good cleaning from sitting outside under a tree for the last year or more, it looks to be in good shape. Also, my plan is to get in Line-X'd inside and out anyway.

The only thing I'm getting with it are the bolts to secure the large rear piece to the body. A couple of questions:

1. What else, if anything, do I need to mount this thing securely (i.e. waterproof) to my Jeep? Rails? Guides? More hardware?
  2. I'll probably figure this out within five minutes of having it, but can I leave my soft top attached (down obviously) and have the hardtop on, or is it a "one or the other" deal?
  3. Is there any better or worse wiring kit to get the rear defroster and wiper hooked up, or just one standard deal?
  4. I'll probably look at a hardtop hoist for the garage. Any recommendations, or are they all created equal?
Thanks in advance!

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.

Last edited by chrispage; 09-09-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You will need the "nuts" that clip in under the side rails to screw it to the Jeep. If it doesn't have the big knobs/screws that hold on the Freedom Panels, you'll need those too.

If you want the rear defroster and wiper to work, there is a Mopar Hardtop Kit you can buy from Quadratec. It looks quite involved to install but nothing a caveman couldn't do.

Hardtop factory wiring kit

You will also need to take the JK by the dealer to have it flashed for the hardtop so the switches work.

Caution though. The '09-10 Hardtops are different than the 07-08. An older top will fit but it has one less hold down position for the freedom panels. The 07-08 were more prone to leaking than the new tops.

With that said, I have an older hardtop for my '09 that I got used. I don't plan on hooking up the defroster or wiper yet, but may decide to down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 12 Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

you dont need any more hardware than what is mentioned above. 6 torx bolts that come with the top, and you also need the six sliding nuts that are up under the rails of the jeep (idk if jeeps bought from the factory w/o the hard top come with these or not).

x2 on the making sure it matches your year. i believe the 07-08 loop on the windshield is further to the right. i could be wrong. either way i dont think it would be too hard to relocate it if you really wanted to.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks everyone. The hard top I'm picking up is from a 2008, and as several of you have mentioned possible leaking problems sitting on a 2010 JK, I'm going to get it installed and make sure it passes the "car wash" test before doing anything.

I'm not crystal clear on what the 2008 vs. 2009 hard top difference is, or is it a difference with the JK itself? The reason I'm fuzzy is because Mopar lists the same hard top part number for all 4 door JK's 2007+. There's at least not a model difference...

Is it just a better design of the front panels starting in 2009? If so, could I just pick up newer front panels if I need to? I see them on eBay and Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks.

Is it a sealing problem? If so, would something like this help:

Hardtop Seal Kit

Thanks,
Chris

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.

Last edited by chrispage; 09-09-2010 at 01:26 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The '09, '10 hardtops have an extra clip in the middle on the freedom panels.

The '07, '08 hardtop that I have for my '09 doesn't leak.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Here is the part number for the clips.
OEM Jeep part number 55397093AC. Fits 2007 2008 2009 all model JK Wranglers.Does not fit 2006 and older.

2014 JK Anvil
"If You Don't Stand For Something, You'll Fall For Anything"
post #7 of 12 Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I ended up NOT getting that 2008 hard top... I picked it up for a couple of days, purchasing on condition of it NOT leaking. It was in less than great shape (couple of cracks, sitting outside under a tree for the last year or more, etc) but it was such a deal, and I was just going to get it LineX'd anyway.

Cleaned it up and gave it the "car wash" test and it leaked all over the dash board, both at the front windshield and between the freedom panels. I couldn't say if it was just that it was a 2008 top, or if it had been slightly warped during its outdoor storage.

Either way, I was disenchanted enough with it to return it (with no hard feelings from the owner).

Still on the lookout for a "like new" hardtop!

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #8 of 12 Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispage View Post
I ended up NOT getting that 2008 hard top... I picked it up for a couple of days, purchasing on condition of it NOT leaking. It was in less than great shape (couple of cracks, sitting outside under a tree for the last year or more, etc) but it was such a deal, and I was just going to get it LineX'd anyway.

Cleaned it up and gave it the "car wash" test and it leaked all over the dash board, both at the front windshield and between the freedom panels. I couldn't say if it was just that it was a 2008 top, or if it had been slightly warped during its outdoor storage.

Either way, I was disenchanted enough with it to return it (with no hard feelings from the owner).

Still on the lookout for a "like new" hardtop!
if it was leaking that bad there is a good chance you didnt install the front panels correctly.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

^ditto^
mine is a '07. i got it DURING the stop-delivery on them for the leaks. mine did not leak whtn i first bought it, but it did after i removed it. i had to wiggle it around to seat it. i dont think the soft top and hard top seat the same way on the windshield.

i also just got a trektop. when i pulled it off and put the hardtop back on, the door seals did not want to seal at the top rear corners. took a day for them to swell back up like they should be.

unless it was a "steal", i probably would not have gotten it either. if it sat out that long, the seals may have been shot anyway.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 09-26-2010 at 11:44 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
if it was leaking that bad there is a good chance you didnt install the front panels correctly.
I did think about that, the last part of the story is the owner helping me check to make sure everything was as it should be when I was returning it, and then we gave it the hose test in his driveway. Not exactly scientific, I know, but still leaked over the center dashboard.

It still could have been a second installation/seating error, but at that point, the likely work required to get it water tight outweighed the value proposition.

I AM still in the market for a used hard top. I did see that Mopar does indeed have a different part number for an 09+ hardtop, something I did not notice originally. I assume that's just for the extra latch on the freedom panels, but I'm sticking to looking for tops off of 09-10 Unlimited.

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #11 of 12 Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM

will the rear part from the unlimited JK work for the hard top for a 2 door?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by labuenavida View Post
will the rear part from the unlimited JK work for the hard top for a 2 door?
No that would have been cool if they would have designed it that way but no they are completely different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode